razpoutin Builder Application

razpoutin

Mummer

Canada

I long while ago, I was looking through YouTube to find 'Let's Builds' and I came across some videos by the WesterosCraft channel and I instantly fell in love with the builds and creations found on the server.

I'm a big fan of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien (specifically The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit)

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

I believe my favourite character in ASOIAF is Theon Greyjoy. He's a fundamentally flawed character. He seems the realest, most relatable character on the show, or at the very least, one of the realest/most relatable.
He has had the most extensive changes of any character, back and forth, and seems the most humanized of anyone. He makes mistakes (betraying the Starks), he pays for them (being tortured physically and psychologically by Ramsay Bolton). He tries and he fails. He often makes the wrong decision when weighing big choices, but always ends up back on his feet trying again. He's a good character through and through and seeing him finally completing his redemption arc over the course of seasons 7 and 8 was truly amazing. He was raised along side Starks, and died protecting his true family, the Starks of Winterfell.

When I do builds, I focus primarily on the details of said build. I can spend hours trying various different designs for interiors and/or exteriors of builds before even building them. In other words, I am very detail oriented when it comes to building. Furthermore, I often try to not saturate my builds with too much unnecessary details.

I've always been told by my brother and my friends that I am a "master builder" but I don't consider myself to be at that level, I still have much to learn. I would very much like to build on this server because I really feel passionate about Minecraft and the amazing things people from across the world have built. Joining a server full of incredibly talented builders such as yourselves would truly help me up my game and inspire me to develop my skills and really live up to the "master builder" title I've been given.

https://imgur.com/a/tIok9Wn

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW!

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hey Raz,

Thanks for your application; I've taken a look at your build and have a bit of feedback:

- The use of large logs in the structure of houses is a very outdated practice on our server and should be avoided.

- It’s common when creating stone foundations for buildings to establish a palette of complimentary blocks rather than use a single block for the entire building; this makes the stonework more interesting and shows natural weathering.

- All of the slate roofs in both your stables and main house are unsupported from underneath, which looks unrealistic. Usually any roofing material should have wooden supports underneath.

- The use of candles stuck on the walls is a misuse of the block; candles should always be placed on stands or tables and not on the walls.

- There’s no obvious use for rooms that’s consistent with medieval culture. It’s best to make sure that interior space is used in the most appropriate way, and is commonly in quite a stark contrast to the way houses are laid out today.

- Using vanilla piston blocks as kitchen units isn’t accurate to a medieval kitchen and should be avoided. Your furnace also isnt linked to a chimney breast in the main room, and is touching a wooden floor which would be a fire hazard; in rooms with a wooden floor, consider moving the furnace up one block. Also please make sure that all cabinet or bench blocks showing cupboard or utensils only ever has one side showing.

- The cellar ceiling is solid stone but isn’t vaulted, which would make it impossible to support it’s own weight. Make sure that even basements have more headroom and that if the floor above is stone, that it is supported by vaulting. Make sure that anything stored in the basement is useful and it makes sense for it to be down there (logistically and realistically).

- In the store room you’ve got two floating chests in a cabinet made with trapdoors. Trapdoors should only be used as trapdoors or as shutters on hoardings / privy covers.. Please use the wooden carpet blocks or oak slabs for horizontal wooden elements as trapdoors can be clicked to open and close and will ruin the intended look. Likewise with your bunkbed hammocks, we have half-door blocks which don’t have hinges and brackets on which would make better supports.

- Books were incredibly expensive in the medieval period, so their use in houses must be used very sparingly. A study in a house must be an absolute necessity.

- The main bedroom is very large and would more realistically split into two rooms. This is also laid out very much like a modern room and not a medieval household. I’m not sure what the item on the ceiling is meant to be but I’d probably do away with it completely.

Altogether this house is okay, but there’s alot of elements that aren’t in keeping with our current build standard. I’d certainly advise you spend a bit more time on our server exploring the existing projects and understand how our houses are laid out, and the processes that go into building them.

For your first challenge build, please build a low-class furriers house in the style of /warp sheepgate

Once you’re done, please post the album of images here!

Good Luck!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Razpoutin, sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I hope that you are still interested in continuing your application.

Things I like:
- Good external house shape and roof
- Great depiction of the furrier's profession

Things that need improvement:
- The entirely oak wood approach feels a little bit plain, could use a little bit of jungle planks mixed in for a weathering effect
- The stove/oven seems completely detached from the chimney - it does need to be connected to remove smoke from the house
- Cover unnecessary sides of crafting bench-type blocks with a halfdoor or some other block, rather than leaving them visible. It doesn't make sense to have a block depicting drawers on two sides 90 degrees to one another
- The attic area needs proper rafters to support the thatch - there are lots of examples of how to do this on the server.

For your next challenge, I would like you to build a house in the style of Duskendale. Focus particularly on making the interiors interesting yet class appropriate, creating logical rafters for the roof and putting the house in context with a street and yard (bonus points if you map out other houses around it with wool).

My advice to you (which I give to all potential applicants) is to go into Duskendale and find 5 houses that you particularly admire. Take screenshots of those 5 houses (interiors and exteriors) and then use them as reference/inspiration when you create your own challenge house in singleplayer.

Best of luck!

Reactions: razpoutin

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Razpoutin,

I notice you made a reply and then deleted it. I think you've done a pretty good job with the application build you linked in the deleted reply, and I am happy to provide feedback and a further challenge if you still wanted?

razpoutin

Mummer
Hello Coddfish,

I personally wasn't very satisfied with the outcome of the build and wanted to give it another shot but I never got around to doing so due to personal matters coming into play and a very busy work schedule.

I'm okay with getting feedback from the deleted reply and I'm also okay with resubmitting. Whatever works for you guys.

Thanks!

Reactions: HalfCat