quinoalove Builder Application

quinoalove

Mummer
What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
united states

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
the setting in general! it takes a lot of different elements from history and presents them in an easily digestible format and was what helped bridge me over from fantasy books to an interest in real world history

What is your favorite build on our server?
darry, sow's horn, and hayford have all been really fun to visit because i'm in the middle of a reread of feast right now and they've helped a lot when it comes to visualizing jaime's chapters! as for just based on the build itself, castle black really impressed me with the way it forms a natural barricade through building placement while sticking to the source material by not including an actual castle wall. i also really like the builds that convey a ton of character despite having little to go off of description-wise like crakehall and last hearth.

Why do you want to join our server?
the extra free time of quarantine has reinvigorated my love for asoiaf and i can provide what is effectively weaponized adhd that makes me think about these books more than my worldly responsibilities. also i just like minecraft building and i think it would be very fun and a good way to dump my passion for the series somewhere :)

i mostly just went for a fairly basic crownlands style lower class house so i could dip my feet into building with the texture pack and custom blocks. i tried to base the wattle and daub patterns off of real world references (though honestly it also felt like half of what i found completely contradicted the other half) and kept the overall shape relatively simple but still not too boring or symmetrical looking (i hope!)

2020-07-23_00.53.13.png2020-07-23_00.54.28.png2020-07-23_01.09.24.png2020-07-23_00.54.50.png2020-07-23_01.15.28.png2020-07-23_01.17.28.png2020-07-23_01.18.24.png2020-07-23_00.56.07.png2020-07-23_01.26.09.png2020-07-23_00.57.34.png

Did you follow the application rules?
you know nothing, jon snow...

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Quinoa
Thanks for your interest in the server and glad to see you're a fan of the Game of Thrones series and the fantasy genre (and quinoa? haha).
You've done a really nice job with this house can see you've put thought into it and explored the server for inspiration and there's a nice consistency of style.

There's not a lot of improvements I could suggest, since overall it's looking very nice. Only small thing I'd suggest is swapped out any trap doors with a wooden carpet block, since guests like to flip trapdoors and hard to keep track of them.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town.

Also, if you haven't already, take a look a the Basic Building Guide for some more tips, examples and Do's and Don'ts that will help on future builds.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

quinoalove

Mummer
here! (also with shaders this time because i just built a new pc and wanted to see how it looked..) this one was a lot of fun to do :)

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey quinoa,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but this house looks fantastic! (especially with those shaders).

You've clearly paid close attention to adding the small details and all the design elements are on point.
For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp highgardentown. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the finished houses in the Highgarden area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense for the town (e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith) and a yard would be great as well.

Good luck!

quinoalove

Mummer
hey, just wanted to say that i've had some stuff come up that's eaten up a lot of my free time but i'm definitely still interested in this ! it'll probably just take a bit longer to get done if that's alright

Reactions: CashBanks

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
All good Quinoa, you did a really nice job with that Hawthorne house so hoping to see you continue your application when you have the chance. We'll be here when you're ready!

Veggie

The Old Bear
This application has been rejected at this stage due to inactivity, you would be welcome to pick this up where we left off in the future.