Withdrawn Project Application: House Paege

Enah

Skinchanger
I agree with wrmy, and I recommend flushing out the lands more, if you are going for small, then i would do denser settlement in a smaller space, as how you have mapped out so far is mostly empty land that could be used for villages and farms

Reactions: Elduwin and Soup

Soup

Storyteller
Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful. I think I took too much inspiration from other more recent Riverlands projects that were further north for the palette and shape of the keep. I worked a little bit on a facade and general layout for a keep that better matches Spiderwood and Pinkmaiden styles. And I also took Enah's advice and mapped out a more condensed area for my lands. Thanks again for the critiques! This is my first attempt at a style like this so, feel free to visit my tests and leave more notes. (I plan on making a more detailed map of the lands when I get the chance)

Hey man just some ideas for other stuff to fill the lands since they are still rather barren...
-Pasture
-Forest
-Marshy bits

And you can put small groupings of fields around settlements as well as maybe some orchards (see what trees grow well in wet and medium temperature climates).

Soup

Storyteller
I did some think on duck's advice and did some quick concept planning. I will zoom into the area and make a much more detailed map later but I sketched out some stuff I wanted to add. The purple is pastures for animals or more fields (I'll decide later) and the dark green is some forest or marshier areas near water that is home to wetland trees like river birch, black alders, and weeping willows. I'm also thinking of adding some ruins in the marshy areas near the elevated area towards the bottom. These just represent the general area I want things and isn't precise.

new.jpg download.jpg downloa.jpg images.jpg

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1
  • downloa.jpg
    downloa.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1

Soup

Storyteller
So I decided to make the strip of land where most of my settlement is condensed into a forested area (much like the area around Pinkmaiden across the river. Most of the area will have light trees but the darker green parts I highlighted will be a little denser than the rest. I feel like this, combined with the marshy areas around the rivers in the low areas, will make my settlement seem less barren.

LandPlans1.jpg LandPlans2.jpg

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard
Hey Soup, I love your project just one question, the village, what does it do? It's not next to a river so it doesn't fish, there doesn't seem to be any fields that it directly manages. The only thing I could see it being is either a place with professions like butchers or a logging village. Both don't make that much sense, the professions because of the size of the build and the logging because that would be done more by a hamlet, especially if it's not the main resource of the region. I would suggest making the village a hamlet closer to the river and add some fields near it.

BUT, please get a second opinion before changing anything. Other than that it looks really good.

Reactions: Soup

Soup

Storyteller
Yeah, I agree with you Ikke. I will probably end up just making it a hamlet and move it closer to the river. I will probably make the hamlet across the river with wheat fields a bit larger to accommodate.

Reactions: Knights_of_Ikke

Soup

Storyteller
Hey everyone, I've been working hard lately trying to iron out more details about House Paege.

First off, I did a lot of research about the agriculture and flora you'd find in wet soil areas. I found that Pear fruits are extremely well equipped to survive in very wet soil and thrive in that environment. Blueberry bushes and Mulberry trees are the same way. So, since the main strip of House Paege's land is quite hilly, I decided to make the two hamlets with wheat fields on the hilly land have pastures and areas dedicated to growing these fruits and berries instead. There will still be two hamlets with wheat fields but they are across the river where the land is a bit flatter. The hills make a nice place for a forested region. The forest will be similar to the area around spiderwood. I researched some trees and put examples on my plot to show what kinds would make sense in the forest. (Disclaimer: I am by no means great at building trees)

2019-01-31_21.03.24.png

I have also decided to move my castle to the mountainy bit where I had planned to put some ruins before. The backing of the mountains and the marshy bit that will exist downhill near the river provides great defense for a small castle. I also changed the style of my castle to match the style of Pinkmaiden and Spiderwood. The place where the castle used to be would be a nice hill for an old watchtower or holdfast being overtaken by forest or something like that.

LandPlans2.jpg

LandPlans1.jpg
These are the old maps I made. Basically just switch the keep and ruins location. And some of the wheat fields will be replaced my pear orchards and/or pastures.

2019-01-29_02.48.55.png
Castle will be backed by these mountains

Here are the castle facade tests and some new house tests to better match the palette:

2019-01-31_21.02.47.png

2019-01-31_21.02.53.png

2019-01-31_21.03.08.png

2019-01-31_21.03.14.png

Let me know what you guys think. If you guys are on board with some of this stuff, I'll make an updated detailed map. If you wanna drop by and leave feedback all tests are at /warp soup. Thank y'all!

Soup

Storyteller
I'm gonna go ahead and bump this to see if I can get some more feedback on what I can improve with my app

Reactions: Xeson

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Soup, I have some feedback:

I'm still not sure about your castle. While the palette is definitely better, it does still need work. Also, the layout feels a bit disproportionate. The three towers are very large and take up a lot of space in your little castle, and the top of the right tower in the front looks unsupported and awkward.

In terms of your palette in general, the whole thing trends a bit too close to grey stone for the region. Paege is located right by the Westerlands mountains, and if you plan to have a quarry and use their own stone, it would make sense for the palette to lean closer to sandstone than grey. Additionally, dark thatch is really out of place in the region.

And while I do think it's a good idea to do a smaller project, Paege is essentially what connects the Westerlands' Hornvale with the Riverlands. There is also a Golden Tooth mountain pass that is currently not connected to anything. As such, I'd like to see a little something on the side of the river with the road to Hornvale.

Soup

Storyteller
Just an update to house paege:

I got in a minor car accident recently (I'm fine just a lot of financial stuff I've got to deal with) And I've been pretty stressed out. The project is still a go and I plan to fix the things about the palette and castle that lemon bear and enah talked about very soon (probably in about a week) Once I get that all fixed up I'll post pictures and hopefully get some more critiques or approval. :)