Abandoned Project Application: House Paege by DylanLovesYouJP

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I like your tests (might want to watch the amount of Stormlands bricks in the house palette, though)! The biggest thing I'm concerned about, though, is the road you have planned heading west out of the project. This road/bridge will lead to literally nothing. Nothing is plotted in the area, and I'm actually also getting rid of the road into Hornvale because it isn't a canonical entrance into the Westerlands. If you do include this road, you will also need to make sure the road does not end in the middle of nowhere and actually connects with Rankenfell lands.

This might mean additional work on your part along this road to ensure there is a level of immersion/realism that we would seek elsewhere in your project.

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
Thanks for the feedback Lem! I'll modify the palette to reduce the amount of Stormlands bricks.

Given that there is nothing planned for the area to the west of Paege I think it would probably be better to just remove that road.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Approved by me.

When it comes to plotting the villages and fields, you can refer to this link for some real-life inspiration, courtesy of the criminally underrated Planning Villages and Towns thread. I would love to see more meticulously planned, realistic villages on the server, and I think you're more than capable of providing that.

Make sure to remind me in-game sometime to check out your progress and provide feedback, I'm happy to help.

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
Just a quick question: I would like to reshape the terrain of the Paege lands, not the footprint but the topography, is it feasible to flatten the lands and essentially rebuild them with the desired topography?

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Reshaping the topography is a pretty huge task (especially when you would have to get an editor to do it for you), so I would like to hear your plans and justification before I give you the go-ahead. You may find it easier to work with what currently exists.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
following on from what Codd said about planning, the editing work might not be too difficult but it is, of course time consuming. depending on what you are going for, someone with a heightbrush could complete the hills rather quickly, as the heightbrush on a low severity makes low hills really quickly and smooths at the same time and doesn't create the awkward 45d shapes that the erode brushes often create.

When planning, remember what kind of area your in and how the redfork (it is the redfork, right?) might affect the east of your project.

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
My primary issue with the terrain is how steep the river banks are. Looking at other areas that are situated at the confluence of tributaries I've noticed that the banks and following lands slope much more gently than those at Paege. The topography changes I would like to make (with the help of an editor if possible) mainly involve reshaping these banks to give them a more gradual slope into the more hilly terrain along the centre of the lands.

I'm no expert on geomorphology so I'm not entirely sure what I'm suggesting is realistic, but those are my plans. I'm open to advice from anyone with more expertise on the matter. If you'd like to, please take a look at the Paege lands and let me know what you think. Do you think the banks ought to slope more gently? Or are they fine as is?

Reactions: Luk and AerioOndos

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
I’m formally stepping down from Paege. I realised soon after this project was approved that I don’t really feel capable of completing it to a high enough standard. Over the past few months I‘ve tried to alleviate some of my misgivings but my feelings haven’t changed. Any alterations I made to the lands outlined in my application have been reverted back to their pre-application state.

To both thecoddfish and lemonbear: thank you for taking a chance and approving my application, sorry to let you down