Withdrawn Project Application: House Bush by EverlastEvil07

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Ever,

A few points from my end:
1. I would say if you are going to be building near the WIP stream, you should finish it.
2. You are indeed just outside the close-studding area, but seeing as there are many forests in the area I don't see why you couldn't have one or two close-studded houses, which leads me to my next point,
3. Close-studding should not be used haphazardly, thrown into the mix with other timber frame blocks. It's a decorative feature which is used in a series, not just one here or there, and not alternating in a pattern. If you are going to use it at least try and keep it a continuous band, as can be seen in many of the new Maidenpool houses. Ideally it should be the dominant block, as seen in the image below, and in countless other examples of close-studding.

1602622174866.png

4. With regards to location, I think this is a good area that could use more development. I like the idea that House Bush is a house of landed knights within the lands of Bushy (though imagine the confusion of paperwork!), but I think your plans are a little too extensive for what should be a smaller house. It being at the junction of three regions would mean it might not have had the time to develop as much and the land would remain more untamed as compared to the rest of the Reach to the south.
5. On that note, 5 hamlets is too many. I would have no more than two.
6. At the moment there is a fairly attractive distribution of trees, and I think it would suit the area better if you left most of those areas as forested (while making updates to undergrowth, ground layer, etc). I would say that at the moment you have too many fields replacing these forested areas (and maybe too many fields in general)
7. I like your idea of a wooden palisade around a stone keep, motte-and-bailey style, but I would try and keep it on the smaller side as there is already a sizeable town near Bushy. I would say 4-5 buildings max. arranged spaciously around the perimeter of the bailey. If you could produce a 1:1 wool layout for this that would be helpful.
8. Can I also ask if you are planning to keep the small hamlet which already exists in this area? Technically it's part of a completed project and I don't think it needs a redo. This should count as one of your hamlets.
9. Who burned the hamlet?

Hey Dutch, thanks for taking the time to look at my app... here are my responses:

2 and 3- I would just remove the block from the houses, if such blocks are meant to be used in a specific way, I wouldn't want to use them the way it's not.
4, 5 and 6- I do have to agree that perhaps I overdid the amount of fields and hamlets I included in the map for such location. Although no mod has yet commented on this thread, I do see this point being brought up again and I myself agree with your points, I would make another layout including more forested areas than fields, as well as reducing the number of hamlets.
7- I don't mind bringing the number of houses down to a few, so yes I can make a layout of how it would look.
8- As for the hamlet, I'm not sure which one you are referring to, the one in the center or the one near the field of fire, I can keep the location of both hamlets, however, do to my house tests being different from the ones already in the region, I would probably redo them.
9- I located a burned hamlet right at The Riverlands border to emphasize that maybe there was a raid from that region, and the burnt hamlet was the aftermath of it.

Thanks again for pointing this things out, I would work on a different layout soon!

Hey Dutch and everyone, here are the new plans!
phonto.jpg
-The keep will reside within the palisade on it's own, and perhaps a smithy and some stables.
-After Dutch pointed out that the hamlets were not really outdated, I decided to keep the one near the field of fire (right side) as it is, unless a mod feels like I should update the houses. The one in the center which is very tiny, will have to be nuked to make space for the horse breeding area, instead I will place a new one along the road closer to the keep (7 or less houses).
-The farmstead you see above will make it's profit from animals and timber.
-An abandon quarry will be place within the forest for grey stone, due to the gradient on the keep.
-The grazing area will be inspired either by normal pastures or silvopastures.
-Most of the forest will be placed in low hills, so that the water can run off into gullies and therefore make a stream of water.
-The stream on the left will flow towards the gold road, to meet with the unfinished stream beside it, while the streams on the right will lead to The Riverlands.

Thanks Dutch for pointing those things out, I do like this outline better and it looks more organized!

Reactions: DutchGuard

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Ever, the new plans look great. Thanks for addressing my points. The addition of an abandoned quarry for building stone is a great idea (as Bushy would have made use of this as well). The small hamlet in the middle is the one I was referring to earlier. See if you can get in touch with jmcmarq and ask for their consent to remove or relocate the hamlet.

It may also help if you produce a small forest test so we can get an idea of what those will look like. I’d also like to point out that you would be responsible for the foothills to the north, though I’m not sure if they need any special treatment.

I think the idea for a burned hamlet is great, but could you have a look at our timeline thread and speak with Ricardus with regards to canon? If you could provide some backstory as to who attacked the hamlet, why and when that would help plot the paths of destruction we need to create in the Riverlands.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
It would not be destroyed at this part in the timeline I think, since there isn't evidence of the first attack on Stoney Sept and the butchering of Tumbler's Falls (Which happens after the Battle of the Blackwater I think)

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
It would not be destroyed at this part in the timeline I think, since there isn't evidence of the first attack on Stoney Sept and the butchering of Tumbler's Falls (Which happens after the Battle of the Blackwater I think)
I agree but the brotherhood without banners has a base at nearby Hollowhill just the other side of that mountain range and maybe would be interesting if they attacked a hamlet in the reach for some reason.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I'm not so sure about this chosen location. We already have so much along the Gold Road, and there's so much empty space south of Stoney Sept. Dutch makes it seem like Hollowhill is directly on the other side of the mountain, and that is not at all true. Hollowhill is directly west of Stoney Sept, and there is a lot of unclaimed space south and south west of both Hollowhill and Stoney Sept.

Admittedly, there will be Brotherhood activity in the region, but otherwise this area needs stuff more than the area just north of Bushy.
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.13.44 AM.png

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I also think that you should move your location.
The plan you currently have totally intersects with the Bushy lands, and you would even have to destroy a hamlet which is part of Bushy.
As lemon said, south of SS is plenty of space.

My thoughts on this app so far,
-I do not feel confident enough to make such big forests since I do not have much experience on them. Although I know some builders will offer me a hand, I wouldn't want to do something where I can't see the outcome. Therefore I would like to discontinue my previous plans for that location.

My response for Lem and Luk:
-Thanks for pointing this location for me Lem, I would gladly make some plans for it. Next time I join, I would take a look at those lands and see what I can come up with. Since House Bush does not have a specified region, I would probably still continue the project in its name, if is ok with everyone, else I will turn it into an immersion... I would take note that of the Brotherhood whereabouts once I start planning. Thanks again to everyone, I appreciate your points!

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I'm not so sure about this chosen location. We already have so much along the Gold Road, and there's so much empty space south of Stoney Sept. Dutch makes it seem like Hollowhill is directly on the other side of the mountain, and that is not at all true. Hollowhill is directly west of Stoney Sept, and there is a lot of unclaimed space south and south west of both Hollowhill and Stoney Sept.

Admittedly, there will be Brotherhood activity in the region, but otherwise this area needs stuff more than the area just north of Bushy.
View attachment 5423

This area has always been problematic border-wise. I think we had previously discussed this area as being partly attached to Bourney, which is an active project.
Either way I would advise against using this area for the time being, I would personally prefer if it was left mostly wild, and used in conjunction with a Hollowhill redo, as a stand-alone project.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
It would be fun to make some v low hills in the space west of Bourney, mostly wild, with a few bits of old transhumance settlement (shielings, bothies) either recently made or being reclaimed by nature. We don't have many wild hillspaces in the south so it could be quite interesting.

The tests seem really good to me, so you could possibly use them elsewhere quite easily, rather than at the Bush site you've proposed. They look like they could fit into both some parts of the Reach and to the Riverlands as well. Goodluck and I hope things turn out for the best!