Probation: Wylla

Wylla

Storyteller
Hello, I am in the CDT Timezone, but I won't be active from June 29th to July 14th.
My name in game is awesomeguy314.

Wylla

Storyteller
probation build 5: Duskendale ale salesman (5311, 69)

probation build 6: Highgarden poor cobbler (-4350, 62)

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Okay, so I have the pleasure of being your Probation Leader! I'll get to looking at your houses shortly :)

Be aware that even if a Project Leader approves your build, I will not necessarily approve them. I still check for little details

I am in the AEST timezone which will make giving feedback in-game a bit of a server but I'll leave lots of stuff here.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I had very few problems at all with your first house, so don't be daunted by the wall of melons, I've only waffled on a bit on site.

-Your chimney is really tall. just shorten it maybe 1-2 blocks to match with the style guide. and maybe some smoke too to make plain that there are embers in the hearth.
-The fireplace has a large cavity that would be good for baking.
-The table is huge for just 3 seats while the sleeping pile could have 5 people there.
-You could combine the two above points and make a space for making bread

I love the look of the second house, it uses space really well. Daub is on point! Only needs a few little details added or changed

-Going from the workshop to the yard is unusual. I suggest just using a dirt slab to the east of the door.
-light thatch works well for wood shavings and chipped wood, I would suggest using one or two patches.
-two of the same kind of tool bench. just the drawers would be fine for the second block.
-I sometimes use axes to represent awls and they were useful in carving boats.
-vines need to touch the ground. Howy fixed them.
-The woodpile should have some kind of roof on it. Its still at risk of getting wet.

my real problem is the thatch exposed below. This shouldn't be visible but there are a few ways you can deal with it that I can think of off the top of my head:
-get rid of it and make it wood like the rest. [worst idea, that bit of thatch looks awesome in the room above]
-put slabs beneath it, and on the otherside as well, giving the room a wooden arch but will cover the thatch.
-make it into a drape. Put a light thatch wall beneath it and make it like a curtain that has been pulled to the side.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Build 3:

This one is beautiful, again, small details are the only things that need to be touched up. I should have mentioned it already, I am a bit of a realism hard-liner.

-Vines need to touch the ground.
-the plot was called 'very simple' so in line with that oak shutters would be best. however, the green shutters work really nicely and it would be good to ask Duck whether they are good to stay.
-maybe a little bit of mud under the washing line or near the barrel. why is there grass next to the barrel (where would get trampled by someone hanging washing) but not closer to the tree?
-the hedge should have some grass directly under it, not just dirt and gravel. Like here

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Build 4:
I <3 the duskendale style and you did a wonderful job here. Only thing left I think is the yard but that is shared between so many builds. maybe some of the 'rough wooden piles' on the street could have migrated. The fish-cellar is a really interesting bit of immersion.

I've only got 2 problems with build 5:
-If there is enough bedding space for 2-5 people, why is there only 1 seat at the table?
-ples no log in ceilings. the logs with bark would dry and split open iirc so not the best idea to have them present.
That being said, some styles will specifically ask for logs in ceilings and then it is okay.

Build 6:
A few more minor details with this one that I noticed. Cobblers are difficult as there aren't really any blocks that can make you think instantly 'it's a cobbler!' like a smithy or a woodcarver can. Brilliant effort at rising to the challenge!

Inside
-again, there is only one seat at the table but 2 beds. I couldn't see some kind of cushion that had been put away.
Also, there is a lot of clothing for just one person. 2 pairs of shirts and 2 pairs of pants. Also, the bucket might have spilled so there might be mud where the bucket has been carried through
-the seat could be pushed in. just do 1 full block and the wattle behind it. you can ask a builder in game if a demonstration is necessary and I am not available.
-Stools are something that should be in high and middle class houses. In Duskendale, there has been a decline in status so stools can be more prevalent, but not in a small rural hut like that.
Outside:
-The cabbage pen is entirely hemmed in. There should have some way in. Also, there is a large amount of empty space left near the fruit tree.
-the exposed underside of the thatch roof for the pen is not good. easiest thing to do would be to replace it with wood.
-don't be afraid to use more mud and bogs in pens, especially if they are for hooved animals.
-I don't see why there is that much strewn fresh thatch. it would probably work better as dark thatch. especially as its near mud.

Last edited:

Wylla

Storyteller
Thanks, I made the edits suggested. hopefully I didn't forget anything!

Probation build #7: Duskendale taxidermy enthusiast (5219, 61, 11709)

Reactions: AerioOndos

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
No1 is good. Just remember you can make more interesting thatch carpets using thatch blocks in the floor.
2 again, you don't always have to use carpet, using the full block as part of the floor adds nice variation
3 all g
4 was g already
5 No log, is good
6 The changes look good
7 Only thing I have a problem with is the exposed wood in the attic and the missing shutter here:

Now I can't dub thee a builder until the 30 day period is up but if I could I would. I'll keep checking your builds until you've completed the new-builder vigil/period though

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Sorry for the delay, got caught with the usual - life, love, pizza... - anyway, only small details, nothing major. I dig the chook pen

Again, two beds in a low class but only one seat. another leather poof? Otherwise, great!

Last edited:

Wylla

Storyteller
Hello, I'm back from Russia! The inter-tour guide drama was thicker than the potato stew.

Probation build #9: ramsaysmill - farmer (4704/57/-8845)

Reactions: AerioOndos

Wylla

Storyteller
forgot to add this one before I left :(. made it like a month ago now. not sure what the red glass means :eek:
probation build #10: duskendale - chandler (5153/62/11731)

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I didn't see any problems with the duskendale Chandler and I don't know what that pillar means.

your ramsaysmill house seems really scant and dreary, good work! The shed looked like a real challenge.

Your probationary month is over so a mod can promote you next time you are on. Congrats! and thanks for being my first probbie