Probation: DutchGuard

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Hi dutch! Ill try to feedback the house by tomorrow, hopefully we will meet each other in game for that, if not Ill post the feedback with explanation here!
Cheers!
Simba

Reactions: DutchGuard

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Both of these houses were reviewed ingame, here are the highlights!
- we changed few blocks around (fern to duckweed) and such

- make sure the stuff you build makes sense - if you want an overgrown veggie patch have one however make sure that the plants growing there actually fit the area!
- lack of detail doesnt shouldnt be used to make a house/area look neglected or poor!
- we reduced the amount of roof supports
-we split the top floor into rooms!
- try to avoid having stuff look chaotic, always think of a way to optimize & organize storage
- remember that certain blocks would appear only in richer houses - usually those containing metal bits & fine craftsmanship

Otherwise well done!

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
Hey,

So Simba will be gone for a little while and he asked me to chip in and take over some of his probies for him.. So in the meanwhile I'll be your probie leader.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks so much AlexIsTragic I'm a little slow at building so don't worry about having to check my work too often :) happy to have my probation extended until I build enough/meet server standards.

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them

So overall it's pretty great and I only have some minor nitpicks:
-The rafters in the interior aren't quite spaced out correctly (left some melons). Other than that the interior is very well done.
-In my opinion the firewood storage is a little clunky (the dark thatch is also a bit of a strange choice maybe). I left some suggestions for alternative designs, but it might also be good to put it in the shed to not clutter up the build too much. Seeing as the build was approved by the project lead it might just be a matter of preference,
-This also doesn't have to be necessarily changed considering the build was approved, but I like to use dun cobble as a buffer block between monochrome sandstone and kl dun brick.

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
I left some melons in-game, but here's a summary.

-The gradient is a little off on the hall house; reach light stone is supposed to be a buffer block between reach brick and the plaster/ light stone.
-The locked door is a little bit strange. Also it makes the house inaccessible from one side.
-The main room in the hall house is a bit barren in my opinion. Not saying you need to add a lot of clutter, but some more signs of life would be nice.
-I wouldn't use full blocks in lieu of furniture (as in the vertical wood block bedside table)
-In both buildings I would connect the beams to the rafters with a fence block.
-The muddy sand in the yard is a little strip-like; I would maybe do larger puddles. You can mayble also use pine needles as a buffer block between muddy sand and dirt/gravel.
-The weeds in the yard (the ones mostly along the side) are a little patchy in my opinion.
-I would maybe try a 3x3 firepit? Like the ones in the Rills.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Alex thanks so much for the speedy feedback. I agree with all of your points.

- Swapped the wheat for turnips
- There's meant to be a kind of creek running through the property, which is why there are those linear muddy tracks. I tried making them more "puddley" all the same, looks better now.
- Tried de-patchifying the weeds a bit along the creek.
- Connected the beams to the rafters.
- Fixed the full block in the bedroom, hope that looks ok.
- Tried fixing the gradient, took out the reach light stone.
- The locked door is just that, a locked door. I can see why it seems weird because we don't have version of that door that opens, but I dunno, I kinda like it. Not every door in Westeros should be unlocked? Happy to change it if you insist.
- Tried livening up the interior a bit, but they're not especially wealthy so wanted to keep it as minimal as possible. Halled houses are generally pretty open plan without too many accoutrements.
- Added a 3x3 firepit, thoughts? The fire and smoke animations help I think.

Reactions: Scubooty

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Sorry it's taken so long for this next one (omg a whole month)

#5 Quarrymen tenement (semi-detached)
/warp fingermerton

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
Hi,

House #5: -I went through it in-game and left some melons. Some were addressed and some weren’t.

On that note, I’ve made the decision to end your probation. This might be considered premature, but I think you’ve met the baseline criteria of five houses. The reason I’ve made this decision is because I’m not entirely sure my feedback has gotten through to you entirely, and thus I’m not sure if there’s a point to prolonging it. I’ve noticed with a couple houses now that there has been an unwillingness to cooperate and/or follow feedback. While I’m open to discussing specific things, I feel like there have been many occasions now where my feedback was just plain overruled without any further word. This leads me to think that you believe you’re already at the level of server standards, thus eliminating the need for a probation period. I would like to point out that you’re not by any means obliged to follow my feedback and that it’s your own responsibility if you choose to do so, but I personally don’t see the point of leaving feedback when that’s the case.

To conclude, this is the end of your probation period and thus you have my permission to move on to full builder. Good luck with any building endeavors.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks Alex, while yes we do disagree on some things, your feedback was always very helpful, clear, and thought-provoking. I hope you also noticed instances where your feedback was taken on and changes made.

There were a few instances where I did not follow your feedback because it clashed with what was being asked by the project leader, which has prompted me to think about the flaws inherent in the probation process, and the mysterious bar of "server standards" which we set for builders.

Other instances was just me being stubborn, and I am sorry if any of that came across as being obstinate. I found it difficult where to draw the line between subjective "personal preference" feedback and objective criticism, aka, a style or technique discouraged or barred server-wide. I'm hoping we can have a broader discussion about probation and what is meant exactly by "server standards" in the near future

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
Hi,

So I think my initial wording may have been rather blunt, but it was intentional to get my point across. I think there have been some moments where it felt like my judgement was not being respected, and I was airing my frustration. This is not to say it was necessarily your intention.

I definitely do think there’s a discussion to be had about what constitutes as more objective and subjective probie feedback. But I also think most probie leaders will at least to some extent try to have their probies follow their personal style, since it’s their frame of reference of what they like and inadvertently what’s good and what’s not. I think this mostly pertains to aesthetic feedback, which is mostly personal but also arguably more important than more general and broad server standards (things like no logs, symmetrical d&w patterns etc.). I think most probies will catch on pretty quickly to simple guidelines like not using logs, while the more intricate parts of building are what defines a build but are also harder to learn. Thus, I personally think it’s mostly beneficial for probies to follow the feedback that is given to them, since they will most likely develop their own styles after their probation period anyway.

I hope this clarifies my point of view a bit.