Probation AlexIsTragic

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Alexis can you please continue to post the warps to your builds and there coordinates so I can critique them please?

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
White Harbour lands:
(/warp whamlet1)

XYZ: -4215.322 / 42.73821 / -3037.791

Haigh:
(/warp Haigh)

+Hunter + Farmer:

XYZ: -478.051/ 49.70260 / 4695.093

+Farmer:

XYZ: -478.005/ 47.75107/ 4712.05

+Septon's house:

XYZ: -439.192/ 49.99567/ 4760.229

+Inn:

XYZ: -487.764/ 54.38487/ 4701.014

+Hunting and lumber camp (not sure about the warp):

XYZ: -188.820/ 55.36431/ 4345.887

Musgood (/warp musgood):

+Cobbler and seamstress wife:
XYZ: 3333.300/ 77.79352/ 17521.417

Dreadfort lands (/warp ramsaysmill):

+Potter:
XYZ: 4636.403/ 55.36372/ -8843.478

Banefort Lands:

+Fisherman:
XYZ: -5901.174/ 61.31933/ 6957.011

+Fisherman:

XYZ: -6484.666/ 46.23824/ 7522.742

Norrey (/warp Norrey):

+Stablemaster:

XYZ: 891.410/ 71.23820/ -14984.638

Duskendale (/warp dd)

Seacaptain's house:
XYZ: 5058.569/41.00000/ 11576.602

Cartwright:
XYZ:5057.118/ 40.00000/ 11537.029

Armorer:
XYZ: 5079.030/ 40.00000/ 11530.903

Cooper:

XYZ: 5140.904/ 46.62612/ 11650.701

Reactions: HalfCat

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
Also I forgot to note which of these houses have already been approved, so the following of these haven't been approved yet or have been approved but had feedback left on them after the fact:

+Potter:

Haigh:
(/warp Haigh)

+Farmer:

XYZ: -478.005/ 47.75107/ 4712.05

+Hunting and lumber camp (not sure about the warp):

XYZ: -188.820/ 55.36431/ 4345.887

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her

+Potter:

Very good job! However, is it an open fire kiln to cook the clay or are you missing a kiln? Enclosed kilns were more common and practical as they often allowed all sides of the pottery to be cooked evenly.

Other comments
-Bread wasn't that common in households
-Keep the number of utensils minimal generally 1 tool block per house. As they were expensive.

Haigh farmer 1. X 470 Y4712

One of the Haigh farmer homes has an outside baker hut. Why? They aren't a baker? Those outdoor ovens are generally reserved for that profession specifically vs a farmer who would maximize space for crops as the yards were the way they fed their family.

Haigh Inn

There are a few melons about the sofa left there. I felt that it was ranging on being modern-looking "L-shaped' seats didn't really exist like that aside from benches.

One of thee barrels on the second floor has a pot on it. Barrels are round, therefore, things would easily fall off. :p you MUST consider the realities of objects in order to create realism. Just as you wouldn't want a floating block as it's not realistic, you must consider the properties of the object. So no stone on top of wood, no pots on top of round barrels, no fires near thatch.

That kitchen fireplace doesn't work. It exposes fire on the sides where if i stand in a certain spot I can see right in. Aswell when I fly around I can see the fire through the gaps from the wall. Please ensure you enclosed fireplaces are fully enclosed. Please switch the wall stone blocks out for full stone blocks.

Overall so far-

You're homes are very unique and very nicely done. Good job on the attention to detail. Moving forth I would like to see a greater consideration in logic. Consider researching medieval peasant life, you will need too eventually for projects. Try to think beyond what you see and are working with. "Would this be practical?" "Would I want this here if this was my home?" "Would this be impractical?" "Did they actually have this?" "Could they afford that?" Keep asking yourself questions about the practicality of the details you're adding. And if you think it wouldn't be realistic. Don't do it. Try your best to transfer real life to Minecraft :D. Your exteriors are very strong and I have no problem with those.

All that being said you're doing great. I choose randomly 3 homes to inspect. I want a few more homes now you have some critique. I'll be looking for improvements in the areas stated :).

Thanks Alex!

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately right now there aren't any plots open in rural areas, and thus I can't really apply your feedback rn, but I did build some peasant houses in Ambrose lands that are more recent than the ones you've looked at. I'll try to build a new peasant house as soon as I can. I forgot to post these the first time, so here they are:

/warp Ambrosetown1

3 Farmer's houses/hovels (one of them was furnished by someone else):

XYZ: -2677.769/ 46.15760/ 16956.650

Farmstead:

XYZ: -2786.991/ 51.40194/ 16921.507

Yesterday I've also built some houses in Duskendale:

/warp dd

House for a family of six (I would love if you gave me feedback on this one since it's 3 block width made the int quite challenging):

XYZ: 5072.659/ 61.31949/ 11425.003

Tavernowner's house (I assumed he was at least mildly literate since he owns a tavern hence the writing desk on the 3rd floor):

XYZ: 5074.451/ 61.44392/ 11425.066

Hatmaker:

XYZ: 5068.392/ 61.44932/ 11425.281

Note: with these three houses I assumed (especially the tavernowner's house) they were more upper middle class since veggie described this area as the more nice part of town.

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
I made a farmer's house in Musgood where I tried to pay more attention to your points of feedback:
/warp Musgood
XYZ: 3323.792/ 73.03260/ 17480.156

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
Hi,
In the meanwhile I've built a couple other builds;

Ball Lands:

/warp Ballsawmill
Sawmill- I did this as a collab with a couple other probies. I personally did the storage building and helped a bit with the main sawmill.

XYZ: -6356.544/ 36.00000/ 18667.394

Doggett Lands:
/warp Doggett

Farmstead- I did this also as a collab. I did the int on the ground floor of the barn (the cow's pen) and the house with the "loft" and the dormers.
XYZ: -3811 .111/ 57.36814/ 6871.431

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Terribly sorry for pushing this to the last day. Work got ahead of me and essentially stole all of my free time recently.

However here is my final critique

A few notes between the 3 Dunskendale homes (the homeowner of 6, the tavern and hatmaker)
  • I've noticed a couple of melons on a home that highlighted similar issues I did (either in person or in my comment). Those issues being that your homes are overly rich and have a overuse of decks. So that being said: Not every home you build needs a deck. Keep them minimal. And a safe rule of thumb is to assume the family is dumber and poorer than you think they are.
  • You're using too many utensils still. This is an Otty thing, but its pushing for that "They don't have money" logic and thinking. Pots and pans had to be made by someone, aka a blacksmith. The blacksmith had to buy iron from a miner and someone had to pay the miner to get that ore (a merchant). By the point it reaches the hands of an owner, they're paying a pretty penny for this item as everyone before them had to make a profit from it. Therefore an abundance of utensils shows wealth. One bench block is more than enough. :)
  • I love the reach panels just as much as you, but those panels should be used minimally as they're intended to represent more ornate wood-patterns. (Aka money spent on taking the time to do those patterns) I often opt for the vertical planks anymore :)
  • I don't really like the beds in the cabinets. Its a little too ... weird? I too asked for opinions on it, and they agreed that it wasn't totally appropriate. The one in the nook is better suited/more reasonable to believe
  • You have a few fireplaces that have a wood background. While we've deemed it okay to have the northern wood panels on the side, you must be careful about that back wall not being wood or any other material other than stone.
  • While there are exceptions when you research the topic, glass windows in middle-middle and lower classes would be rare/never seen. So for the time being I suggest you don't apply them to middle class unless you choose to research when they'd be applicable.
THis is specifically on the tavern
  • You really missed an opportunity to have a kitchen on the bottom floor/basement Rather than filling it in with wool.
  • The dual posts seem ... pointless? More so just because this space was so small and it just doesn't work in this room. It would be better to have just one or to create a wall.
  • When you walk up the stairs to the second floor the space to your left... what is that suppose to be?
  • You like to use those walls (the walls that are literally termed with the word "wall" in the name not "block") If you use walls they must either be an individual post or completely connect to the object it's near. The top floor of the tavern the walls are disconnected from the hopper. It looks off, so make that bottom block of the post a full block.
Musgood one is good

Okay, Alex. I will let you continue to move forward to being a full builder. But please, please be cautious about the wealth of your homes. Its your most glaring issue at the moment. Everything you do is in theory pretty gosh darn well done but they tend to be tooooo nicely done in a sense. The biggest way to improve this is 2 things. 1. Spend enough time on the server to learn what goes and what doesn't. Some skills just need time to refine them 2. Research. We're not expecting a ten-page essay from you. Or for you to go to your local library and dive deep into the stacks there, but have fun watching videos or quickly look something up when a question arises. Some people here like to be experts, don't feel intimated by them to know everything but definitely grow confident enough in your knowledge to back yourself and your decisions up when the time comes.

Welp, welcome to the team! Ask a mod to remove you [N] and to go out and select your plot! You must complete 2 minis before getting a full project. This is anything that requires more planning than just a single home and requires an application of sorts. So large industry builds, hamlets, holdfasts are the most common. And I always say, take a full project on when you're ready. Don't rush into one, you may not be ready yet and thats okay. You want to do well your first time :D.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: thecoddfish