Approved Orme Redo Appeal

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
If I may intercede on Shymon's behalf, I would actually put forward the argument that a redo or at the very least a Whitegrove-style update would be warranted especially for a region so small, and especially with the recent completion of Rousemont which set a good standard for the Eastern Reach

While the current style has very odd stylistic choices (the word Smurf Houses has been thrown around in the past)

nLwzdPD.png
NAepuxt.png

8mw7izz.png

This also includes Orme's croplands which are done in the odd strip style farming style that was likely done to fill up space, and Orme's forests which fall behind Rousemont's forests in terms of style and would benefit from a continuation of Rousemont's forests.

I think for the project to fully shine, a redo or a heavy update would be highly recommended.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Shy, in your appeal document (which is very nicely done btw) you say:
I do not plan to completely obliterate the entire project, but rather keep the original ideas and construct them in modern manner.
This sounds like a foster or an update to me, so I would go ahead and apply for the project as a foster or update, rather than a redo, which I think is what Luk is advocating for.

Just for clarity, here is what I think each of these terms means:

Redo: Complete removal and replacement of the old project.
Update: Part removal and replacement of the old project, updating remaining buildings without changing their form significantly to bring them to current standards. Extent of replacement to be negotiated with moderators.
Foster: No removal of any existing builds, only adding where areas are left incomplete, and updating existing buildings without changing their form or appearance significantly to bring them to current standards.

I think the recent KL update has, accidentally, done a great job of translating these three things into colour blocks, which I think most of us have a good understanding of by now.
Redo is red
Update is orange
Foster is green

Shymon

Lord Lannister
I think this whole confusion stems from the lack of information, there isn't a clear source which tells you what you're supposed to do, wiki has articles about these server procedures but doesn't really detail how and which paperwork needs to be filed. When I asked on the server what should I do if I want to adopt a project, everyone has said that I should do a redo appeal first before any applications/tests.
Maybe a few lines in Canon Project Application Guidelines or Projects Orphanage detailing these procedures could be helpful to newer builders. (I can detail this further but I digress here a bit...)

For me, in terms of color, I would say orange or orangered because Orme has some questionable stylistic choices such as smurf houses and considering Marge's concerns; I would go for an update at best and a light redo at worst.

I would welcome a universal implementation of KL color coding because it articulates what needs to be done efficiently. It would be great if we could classify abandoned projects with KL color codes, builders would have more clear idea if a redo or an update is necessary.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Thank you for your reply Shy, using the colours would be good in future, but I think assigning each build a colour ahead of time might be too prescriptive. Therefore I think it is still prudent to have a discussion of the abandoned project in question (like we are having now) to determine the extent of necessary intervention.

Having said that, I personally still believe that if a build is abandoned at any stage it should be allowed to be redone entirely (which is what is currently stated on the aforementioned guides). Redo appeals should only be necessary for redoing completed builds.

I agree there is some lack of clarity. I would appreciate if the moderators could discuss this issue and let us know whether or not abandoned projects need any kind of forum appeal made before a formal application.

If so, I would propose, instead if a redo appeal, a statement of intent should be made on the forums, allowing for an open discussion about the abandoned build in question, the result of which can inform the moderating team of what level of intervention should be permitted.

Does that sound fair?

PS. Luk is not necessarily speaking for all the moderators (or at least has not indicated he is), meaning that a redo appeal can still be granted

Last edited:

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Hi folks,
it's been few days... I still have no idea what to do, but I made a test for style of the houses in the town next to the castle.
The tests are at my plot (/warp shymon) and are located next to the WDH4 house stack.
House left - Original palette
House right - Helvetic palette
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 17.16.45.png

Last edited:

Shymon

Lord Lannister
So, as per my previous post, it's been a while.
Can I have a final ruling whether I should do a redo or just an update?
I'm beginning to project the area but I have no idea how should I file my works & findings.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey Shymon184,
It might make sense if your forest weren't drastically different from the forests over at Rousemont.
1) It wouldn't make a lot of sense if the vegetation changed drastically between the two projects especially within that large, shared, cohesive forest.
2) I would offer to redo the forests in an afternoon with my scripts if you chose to keep em the same.

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Hey Shymon184,
It might make sense if your forest weren't drastically different from the forests over at Rousemont.
1) It wouldn't make a lot of sense if the vegetation changed drastically between the two projects especially within that large, shared, cohesive forest.
2) I would offer to redo the forests in an afternoon with my scripts if you chose to keep em the same.
I've written you the mail about tree schems for exactly this! :D
I actually plan for the forests to be continuation of Rousemont forests, so help from you would be much appreciated.
Unfortunately I still need to make an application for Orme, so the forests have to wait. :/
But I want an example chunk of the forests for the application, so could you tell me the schem names of those trees?