olaf16

Mummer
What is your Minecraft username?
olaf16

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Netherlands

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I like the scenes where the travel through the the lands in the books, like Arya in the first few or Jaime in the 5th.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I think Highgarden altough i also do like the fortresses up north (not the night watch). I do like about the highgarden the feeling it gives when you see the towers it feels like a castle from a fantansy from the fortresses up north i do like the style and details.

Why do you want to join our server?
I do want to join the sever because i like to build and do really like the books. I am also a builder/landscaper on the Ardacraft sever so i can land scape a bit.

Tell us about your build.
Its a tudor style building but not as rich as you would normally see, its a farmers/standard house which could fit i city like Kings Landing but also could be farm in the riverlands for example.

Imgur Album:
Did you follow the application rules?
so far as i know i did (you know nothing jon snow)

Last edited:
Reactions: ContraBlonde

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey olaf,

Thanks for the application, glad to see your interest in the server! Apologies for the delay in response.

This is a pretty-looking house (though the bodies hanging from the tree are a bit macabre) - you captured the Tudor vibe well and it's clear you have a good sense of aesthetics, though the execution of some elements needs a bit of work before fitting into our server's style. I'll give some feedback below, and then give you a few challenge builds to help get you more acquainted with some of the building styles on our server.

- The stone gradient in the base of the house needs a bit of work, as the transition between the basalt cobble and the dark cobble is a bit harsh. In a gradient you want to have a subtle transition with around 3 blocks, where each pair of adjacent blocks in the transition are close enough in color/texture that they don't harshly contrast. There's a tutorial for this on our server at /warp gradient that you might want to check out.

- Similarly for other things, such as the carpet here, you want to avoid introducing unnecessary messiness by mixing blocks which contrast harshly (in this case, dark thatch and light thatch). Just use one or the other. There is a nice trick with thatch carpets where you use both thatch blocks in the floor and thatch carpets to add a bit of texture to it.

- Avoid using item frames and sign blocks for furniture, since the shapes are a bit off, and the former has weird properties (being an entity rather than a block). For armrests on chairs, we'll often use the wattle fence blocks, or otherwise nothing.

- When you have stone showing through into the above floor, such as here, it's best to choose furniture which covers the stone completely (or use wood carpet blocks to cover it).

- I'd focus a bit more on the rafter designs; using the full vertical wood plank blocks seems a bit too bulky, and in some of the rooms (e.g., here) the ceilings are a bit too flat. As you explore houses on the server, take note of the different techniques that are used for rafters.

For a first challenge, please make a middle or upper class house in the style of /warp duskendale. Let me know if you have any questions on the feedback above, or the challenge style. Good luck!