Noxillius Builder Application

Noxillius

Mummer

Bulgaria

I googled ''a song of ice and fire minecraft'' and got your website as the first result

I have the Harry Potter books and ''Game of Thrones'', but except for the first aSoIaF book I haven't read any other medieval fantasy books. I have watched the entire Game of Thrones HBO show and the LOTR and Hobbit films, though!

Game of Thrones

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Ramsay Bolton from the show, since I haven't read the book where he appears. I love him as the antagonist to hate, he's the only Game of Thrones character that makes me shiver with hate whenever I see his smug smile, I love how brutal and contrasting he is to his bastard antipode (Jon Snow)

I don't really have any unique skills. I can build well, especially good at terraforming using world edit and the such but I don't know which plugin you guys use. I'm also good with interiors

I really love the ASOIAF franchise and I really love Minecraft. I want to partake in this thing because whenever I see a big Minecraft map they leave me in awe and I want to be a part of something like that. Also, I love creative servers because I'm not particularly good at survival.

https://imgur.com/a/U4FtMiw

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Noxillius,

Thanks for your application, it's great that you've got a passion for the series and minecraft, you've come to the right place

You've made a good start with this Northern style house, it looks like quite similar to the houses around Winterfell, you've clearly put some thought into it and explored our custom block set.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.
- You've done well with the overall layout, we try not to use wooden logs too much in houses these days unless they're actually log cabins, but if you were basing it off one of the houses at Winterferll then it's fair enough.
- All our buildings are designed by their respective class, either Low, Middle or High class, which will help guide what kinds of blocks to use. The vast majority of the houses in westeros belong to poor farmers, and we generally use blocks like bookshelves, glass bottles, glass cabinets, fancy beds etc to indicate the owner is rich. As you've mentioned, this is a peasants house, so they wouldn't have a big book collection, and the faith of the seven paintings are generally only in middle-high class houses too.
- Also, we almost never use the torch blocks, we usually just use candles, and they should just be on a table or crate rather than stuck to the wall.
- It's important always to add rafters to interior roof, the rule of thumb is to make sure that the external roof block isn't visible from inside, you can usually do this with stair blocks like here.

- When using drawers/cabinet blocks, try to make sure that only one side of the block is exposed, you can use a half door to cover up any other sides.

- This chimney is just a bit wild, the top section just looks totally unstable and isn't necessary.
Chimney's generally only need to be 1x1 or 1x2 blocks wide, and don't need a fancy spouts or anything. Something like this would be fine.

You're off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at the suggestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 1563882791248.png
    1563882791248.png
    689 KB · Views: 1

Noxillius

Mummer
Thanks for the fast reply! I'll get on it right away!

And, yes, I was going after the Winterfell houses cause it's my favourite city in the ASOIAF universe, except those flat useless roofs

Noxillius

Mummer
Hey Noxillius,

Thanks for your application, it's great that you've got a passion for the series and minecraft, you've come to the right place

You've made a good start with this Northern style house, it looks like quite similar to the houses around Winterfell, you've clearly put some thought into it and explored our custom block set.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.
- You've done well with the overall layout, we try not to use wooden logs too much in houses these days unless they're actually log cabins, but if you were basing it off one of the houses at Winterferll then it's fair enough.
- All our buildings are designed by their respective class, either Low, Middle or High class, which will help guide what kinds of blocks to use. The vast majority of the houses in westeros belong to poor farmers, and we generally use blocks like bookshelves, glass bottles, glass cabinets, fancy beds etc to indicate the owner is rich. As you've mentioned, this is a peasants house, so they wouldn't have a big book collection, and the faith of the seven paintings are generally only in middle-high class houses too.
View attachment 1101
- Also, we almost never use the torch blocks, we usually just use candles, and they should just be on a table or crate rather than stuck to the wall.
- It's important always to add rafters to interior roof, the rule of thumb is to make sure that the external roof block isn't visible from inside, you can usually do this with stair blocks like here.
View attachment 1102

- When using drawers/cabinet blocks, try to make sure that only one side of the block is exposed, you can use a half door to cover up any other sides.

- This chimney is just a bit wild, the top section just looks totally unstable and isn't necessary.
View attachment 1103
Chimney's generally only need to be 1x1 or 1x2 blocks wide, and don't need a fancy spouts or anything. Something like this would be fine.
View attachment 1104

You're off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at the suggestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.
Good luck!

Hello!! I'm done with the Low Class house, you didn't tell me the profession or family size of the owner so I just made them a lonely blacksmith. In retrospect, you did say that most of the houses in Westeros belong to low class farmers and I probably should've made that but it's a bit too late right now, I can re-do it if you want me to, though.

This is the imgur link https://imgur.com/gallery/0Ofg0cU I hope you like it!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Noxillius, thanks for finishing this Hawthorne blacksmith, indeed you’re right that most low class houses in Hawthorne would be farmers, but a poor blacksmith could work too.

Apologies i’m out of town at the moment and doing this feedback on my phone so it might not be as thorough as last time.

Overall though you’ve got all the basic elements right, the stone mix is correct and the daub looks nice and symmetrical.

I’d suggest with the footprint that when you make L shape houses, you try to have the center through line of each wing cross each other and end in an arched daub face. It’s hard to explain so here’s a crummy drawing

The idea is that you should mirror the sides that I’ve given a green tick on the ends of the L shape opposite them, rather than end with that rounded thatch corner.

Also try to avoid what we call “bubble yards” where the yard is sort of an abstract shape stuck on to the side of the house. You’re generally fine to just make the yard a simple square with lines parallel to the house.

Overall though I can see you've made improvement, for your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker).

Good luck!

Noxillius

Mummer
Hey Noxillius, thanks for finishing this Hawthorne blacksmith, indeed you’re right that most low class houses in Hawthorne would be farmers, but a poor blacksmith could work too.

Apologies i’m out of town at the moment and doing this feedback on my phone so it might not be as thorough as last time.

Overall though you’ve got all the basic elements right, the stone mix is correct and the daub looks nice and symmetrical.

I’d suggest with the footprint that when you make L shape houses, you try to have the center through line of each wing cross each other and end in an arched daub face. It’s hard to explain so here’s a crummy drawing

The idea is that you should mirror the sides that I’ve given a green tick on the ends of the L shape opposite them, rather than end with that rounded thatch corner.

Also try to avoid what we call “bubble yards” where the yard is sort of an abstract shape stuck on to the side of the house. You’re generally fine to just make the yard a simple square with lines parallel to the house.

Overall though I can see you've made improvement, for your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker).

Good luck!
Hey, man! I'm so sorry it took me so long but I had a bit of real life stuff preventing me from having any time for this, hope you understand. Anyways, I'll get working on it right away!

Reactions: CashBanks