Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
wfl242

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Australia

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Reddit

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I am all for the history as I have always been intrigued in how George R. R. Martin has created such a gigantic world full of these amazingly detailed characters which also have a cosy spot in my heart.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I would have to say The Golden Tooth in the westerlands, as the castle itself is quite spacious and I'm just a fan of the colour palette in general. I also just fancy the way it is connected to the mine/quarry.

Why do you want to join our server?
My friend (Lochmonster) and I have been building on our own server for a little bit now, but we feel like a challenge and a space to actually improve - seeing as Westeroscraft has loads of lovely helpers on it - we are also just massive nerds for Game of thrones and want to be apart of building out its sick history.

2022-11-01_20.15.38.png2022-11-01_20.15.45.png2022-11-01_20.15.52.png2022-11-01_20.15.57.png2022-11-01_20.15.59.png2022-11-01_20.16.11.png
1667795648050.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Last edited:
Reactions: Die Wursttheke

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey wfl,

Thanks for bearing with the delay, and glad to see your interest in helping with the project! In the future, feel free to ping me if it's been several days without a response.

Nice work with the apphouse! Not really seeing any issues with it. Hope the exercise was helpful for learning our server's building style. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. I recommend studying the elements of multiple houses in the style (furniture, timber frame patterns, rafter designs, etc.) and trying to synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp woodwright, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey wfl,

Really nice work on this house! It seems like you've picked up all the core elements of the style, and you've done a nice job with the stone gradient as well. I have some feedback, but mostly picky details:

- The stone windows here intersecting with the timber and plaster looks slightly odd to me, given how the timber frames would typically be constructed over the stone foundation, but it's not a huge deal. An alternative might be to make the offshoot entirely stone. Also, make sure you use the right stone type for the windows (the reach variant rather than the normal light grey stone).

- In the clothesline design, I'd replace the wood carpets with horizontal rope blocks, since it looks a bit clunky at the moment.

- Try to structure your furniture to avoid having workbench/cabinet blocks exposed on multiple sides, such as here.

- Don't place candles sideways on walls such as here, since they'd melt off. Always place them on top of a desk or candle holder (e.g. fence block).

Otherwise everything looks good! For the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp ghosthill. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Not_wfl242

Mummer
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for the feedback!
Here is the second build in the style of Ghost Hill. I ended up deciding to go with a relatively simple two-story building. The two layers are disconnected with the only entrance being the outside stairs, the bottom layer being and larger armoury sort of workshop and the second story being a leatherworker, connected to the balcony. I'm not too sure if this is closer to a medium house or a larger one but here it is:

Reactions: Die Wursttheke

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey wfl,

Great work again, you got the style down well, and I like all the little details you included around the exterior to help incorporate it into its surroundings. Like before, I only have some minor feedback this time:

- The gradient is a little bit messy in some spots. I'd suggest simplifying it a bit. Instead of mixing the "greyish white plaster" sort of randomly, I'd recommend using it minimally to blend the base of the house (where the plaster would get dirtier) and areas where you use white cobblestone with the rest of the plaster.

- The wall on this side feels too plain; I think another window to the right of the one you have already should help with that.

- The interiors on the second floor feel a bit too sparse, since you're using a layout where the furniture is mostly pushed up against the walls. One way you might improve this is by restructuring the layout a little bit, for example using a "dorne carved wooden window" divider (there's a few examples of this in ghost hill). Medieval interiors tended to be a little bit more "central" in their layouts than do modern interiors.

BTW, I realized I forgot to answer your question about the grass spread earlier. On the server, we use mods to prevent grass spread. I believe you can replicate this in singleplayer using the following command, though I'm not entirely sure:
Code:
/gamerule randomTickSpeed 0

Anyways, for the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp duskendale. Let me know if you've got any questions. Good luck!