NoriakiKujo Builder Application

NoriakiKujo

Mummer

United States

I heard about Westeroscraft from tvtropes where, either under the 'Awesome Moments' page on Minecraft or somewhere in the tabs for ASOIAF/GOT the site is mentioned and there's a link to it as well.

Lord of the Rings, Eragon, Harry Potter

All of the above

All of the above

It's honestly a big tie between Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth. I don't really know 'why' they're my favorites, but something about their interactions with each other and how their relationship evolves from mutual loathing and frustration at each other to a genuine friendship warms my heart. And honestly calling it 'genuine friendship' somewhat cheapens their relationship to each other in my eyes, but I couldn't think of a better wording for it without revealing my bias as a shipper for them. But really, she's one of the few people outside of Jaime's immediate family who knows the actual reason he killed Aerys and became a 'Kingslayer'. And he risked his life going back for her to rescue her from the Bear Pit, even though he honestly had no reason to do so asides from he thought it was the /right/ thing to do, which was something he never would have considered prior to their journey together. And well.... "Her name is Brienne." Honestly, Jaime goes from mocking Brienne and calling her 'wench' to making sure /everybody/ knows who she is and that she is treated with respect. Despite how dirty D&D did their relationship in 8x04 I know in my soul GRRM wouldn't do the same to them in the books.

I am easily available and can handle solo and team builds decently and won't complain often or moan and groan about 'easy tasks'. My skills lie more towards exterior designs than interior decorating, but that doesn't mean I'm not afraid of doing the latter, more that I'll need a second opinion on my placement of things for the latter.

I am a huge fan of ASOIAF/Game of Thrones, and I believe working on a huge fan project will help my skills in regular Minecraft improve greatly. Plus, I love being in communities of fans of the same things as me~ I know this is like my 4th or 5th time applying as a builder, and with the latest one it was suggested I wait a month before trying to apply again, but this build I am really proud of and I couldn't wait a month to try and use it as proof of my skills. I was fully taking in the advice given to me previously, but if I am rejected with this one, I would like more detailed info about what parts of my build aren't 'up to the server standards'. Being told exactly what is lacking will definitely help me in the future.

YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hi Noriaki,
Thanks for your interest in the server. I'll give you some feedback on your application build.
kWml2qt.png

- Cobblestone stair blocks would be more appropriate to use as stairs leading up to the front door.

v0s5xjD.png

- Wool blocks should almost never be used as floors/carpets, certainly not in anything that's not a high class house. At most you could use a few thatch carpet blocks, to create a rug over the wooden floor boards, or over the ground floor dirt/gravel mix.

- As a general point, we classify buildings based on their class, they are either Low, Middle or High class, and this indicates the size/wealth/fanciness/profession of the building. On future builds it's worth keeping in mind that some blocks like carpets, glass, cabinets, banners, should generally only be used on Middle/High class houses. As you become acquainted with the server and our building styles you'll become more familiar with the kinds of blocks we would typically use on the average build.

- Try to avoid using blocks just for the sake of adding detail for detail's sake. E.g. the jungle rope log as the base of that centre pillar serves no purpose, and just clashes with the different coloured wooden planks above it.

-I'm also not sure sure what the two leather blocks are intended to be. I'm assuming that room is the kitchen/eating area, but I don't see a table/chairs/signs of life.
XPXZNwK.png

- I can see you've attempted to add the stair blocks to create the look of floorboards/rafters, but they should span the whole width of the house, like this:
FniQDKp.png

mm7V3hT.png

- The way the chimney tapers off from a full block to a fence block looks odd. Either just cut the fence block or use a wall block instead.

- Every project will have it's own unique aesthetic style, but generally, northern houses in snowy areas have steep roofs to allow snow to slide off so it doesn't accumulate and collapse the roof from it's weight.

TEvuzRz.png

- Despite their name, "wall" blocks are not recommended to be used for a building's actual walls, since they're smaller than regular blocks and means exterior/interior blocks don't adjoin to them properly. Wall blocks are better used in limited areas to add small details, or as part of larger more complicated exteriors like on castles.

- Generally all windows should also have shutters, especially in cold areas so they can close them to keep the cold out. Shutter blocks and wall blocks don't connect so this is another reason not to use wall blocks as a building's main structural block.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Just a regular thatch roof farmer's house like this.
AF2s8zg.png

If you haven't already, take a look at the suggestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

The main thing I'll be looking at with this challenge is how you conform to the hawthorne style, this includes size/layout of the house and the palette of blocks used. While you shouldn't copy an existing house exactly 1:1, there are plenty of examples at hawthorne to use as a guide, so don't feel like you need to reinvent the wheel with this one.

Please take your time to study the style in detail and review the feedback given in your previous applications, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck.

NoriakiKujo

Mummer
I keep apparently having issues with trying to lay foundation for this challenge, like I don't think I'm supposed to keep getting a rectangle foundation, but it keeps happening.2019-05-23_01.52.53.png

Reactions: Garlan_Tyrell

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Rectangles are what you want to be aiming for, houses look better when they're not completely symmetrical on all sides.
When counting out plot dimensions I find it easiest to place a second block on the centre line of each dimension of the house, so you can fairly quickly see how wide/long the plot is. You also don't have to use wool either, a block like coal ore, or blocks of gold have defined edges, makes it easier to count.
51OIxwS.png

Reactions: nubcaker

NoriakiKujo

Mummer
I got a foundation set! The stairs are more or less a placeholder so I'll know which part of the house is the entrance to a possible yard.2019-05-23_15.31.19.png

Last edited:

NoriakiKujo

Mummer
I feel like I'm struggling in regards to the roofing and using daub and wattle properly, but I made sure to get some overhangs set up.2019-05-23_18.46.09.png

NoriakiKujo

Mummer
In-game you pointed out some major flaws of that last screenshot Cash, so i took down almost everything and figured it'd be best to get feedback on the new current state of the build, with the part where the door is being the entrance into the house.2019-05-23_20.18.00.png

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
If you look at the other houses in Hawthorne, you can see that the foundation/stone base is all at the same level. A good tip is to build the frame of the house first so you can get an idea of its size and shape. Then do the roof. The roof shape for thatch roofs in Hawthorne is very clearly delineated as being at around a 60 degrees incline, which you can more or less copy from the following image.
AF2s8zg.png
Here you can see I've split the roof shape into its constituent blocks. This should be the roof shape of your house. Also, Don't worry about the daub and wattle pattern until the end. It's way more important to get the house shape correct than perfecting the d&w from the beginning.

NoriakiKujo

Mummer
Had to start over because I realized I had messed up somewhere and it was messing with how my roof would look. Every step forward ends up being like two steps back for me apparently.2019-05-24_15.56.17.png

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
That could work. It would be a small shed or side jutting out of the building, perhaps a separate room.

If you are determined on starting again you could build a 1:1 copy of a certain style, then change things. Move the door placement, change where the fireplace is. Add a shed. Imitating builds 1:1 can really help with getting into build style.

Also, looking at your foundation planning, they have lots of detail that is the base of a good build. Something I didn't have when I started. Keep up the good work!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
https://imgur.com/gallery/5PxfpIl
Hey Noriaki, thanks for working on this White Harbor house,
You're making progress with things, you've got the size/shape and structure of the white harbor sprawl right.

I think there's room for improvement with the stone exterior wall,it's best to avoid the straight/clean breaks between the white clay and the brick as it doesn't look too natural.
Here are some examples of a more messy/patchy gradient that might look a little better

A house in the white harbor sprawl would also definitely have a yard/garden, where they would grow some vegetables, have a washing line
It would also make more sense to have the firewood lying sideways, rather than pointed upwards.

And just a note with the roof, the houses in white harbor generally have an overhand with the roof, with two layers of the roof slate sticking out on both ends like this:

Here's the block breakdown

Notice there's slab of northern wood under the rood edge either

A few notes on the interior
always try to avoid having cabinet/drawer blocks having more than one side exposed. You should use half doors to cover up the side in red below.

The interior also as a whole just looks a empty, like the top floor is just dark an empty except for a bed and barrel

Attachments

• 1563004343647.png
    1563004343647.png
    476.3 KB · Views: 1

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Continued.
Here are some examples of the interior detail we try to aim for:

I'll give you a few challenges to work on next so you can get exposed to a few different building styles.

1. A net maker in this gray Small Stone Brick/Cobblestone/Small Smooth Stone Brick mix

2. A small farmer in the style of Uffering Holdfast 2 /warp uffhf2
Use the thatch roof style as a guide.

3. As the advanced challenge, have a go at a merchant in the orange brick/brown daub style of /warp Fairmarket

Attachments

• 1563005916170.png
    1563005916170.png
    952.3 KB · Views: 4