New dedicated thatch block

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya, reposting this from another thread.
Cool idea for a dedicated thatch block that sits in between dark and light thatch. Always sloping downwards if made into a roof like the tile slab blocks.
I think geeberry might want to discuss it.
Short progress report:

Snowy thatch, or actually, thatch in general is a tricky texture. If we want to get it just right we want to account for the volume of the thatch itself and the fact that the center area of a roof ages/ weathers differently than the edges. Snowy thatch as you can see in the image above forms a homogenous surface in the center but thins out towards the edges.

To ultimately achieve this effect we will need a block with some special properties able to handle the slope of the roof itself and the fact that we have started to build diagonal roofs and roofs that include full blocks, walls, and slabs.

I have a clear vision of what I want the final product to look like (this is done entirely in photoshop, so the final result may differ due to the way I need to implement it in our RP):

View attachment 7270

Shading on the left and right edges of a given roof helps to add some volume. I can achieve that with horziontal CTM which looks fantastic on straight houses but it leads to vertical streaks on diagonal houses.
Straight:
eaa07ea4e2.jpg
Diagonal:
0a721165cb.jpg

Shading on the bottom indicates the overhanging edge of the roof and again gives that some depth and thickness. When we add snow later on we need this to indicate the snow sitting on top of the thatch. This is impossible to do with CTM; I could add horizontal CTM that colors the bottom of every stair block but that would apply to every row of the roof creating a very distinct horizontal banding.

I'm talking to red about ways of achieving this by creating a dedicated thatch roof block.

The one thing that I can achieve already is random discoloration of using repeat CTM:
2925bf61b1.jpg

For comparison here's what this looks like in the regular resource pack:
3cc6745d57.jpg

I drafted a few shades initially but I suggest we'll stick to light, dark, snowy and mossy.
6cf5f0bbab.png

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I think there was also the idea of having thatch patterns like crescent circles and cross cross patterns on it that got voiced a while back. Because it's been brought up in server chat I thought it'd be good to create a place to discuss it here.