Naming Hamlets and Towns

Lord_Stark_05

Storyteller
I know that unnamed hamlets and villages are easier for warping across the map, but are there any ways to name hamlets and villages across the map. Instead of for example /warp sfhamlet1, it could be /warp chestnutbend. This is another random idea from me.

Lord_Stark_05

Storyteller
I understand that completely. In the building process, organization is key. But when the server is ready for RPGing, then would names be important?

Reactions: Kor_Bro

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Maybe settlements could have (if project leads wants it) the names like /warp sfhamlet1 but also have a prober name like /warp chestnutbend. The second name would maybe first be added after the settlement is completed?

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Or before the project is finished, after all the building is done. Though I feel like a lot of places might end up with long-ish names like Stratford-upon-Avon or Inn by the Crossroads

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
As someone who is documenting the progress of our server, it has been hard to know what hamlet belongs where without the sf1 organization. When someone gives random names it can occasionally be impossible to tell which house it belongs too.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
The representation of such names would only appear once building is complete so there can be more in depth land acquisition. because how edifying would it be to successfully gain lhthf2 through a potentially dangerous bit of intrigue

Lord_Stark_05

Storyteller
I could try to create a google docs on the naming of the settlements, but I am finding it hard to share my docs to the forums. Could someone explain to me what to do?

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
When you've got the google doc open on the top right you should see a Share button > Get Shareable Link > copy that link into your forum post.

We're considering updating the dynmap with separate layers for towns, castles, ruins and points of interest. We thought hamlets/holdfasts might not be the best idea to include in that list because they would be so many, and most wouldn't have proper names

Enah

Skinchanger
I really like making my own names for places, but not every place really needs a name, some places didn't get names for centuries

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
For example, Weeping Town became known as such after the Young Dragon's corpse was brought there from Dorne on the way to the Crownlands. It isn't mentioned if the town had a name before that