MyrOrion|Orion Builder Application

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Myr,

Lovely work! I don't really have much feedback this time. Just a couple minor things:

- You've mostly got the roof down, though it's still slightly irregular. The shape is pinched (i.e. it goes stairs, stairs, then block/stairs/block/stairs...) rather than linear (i.e. stairs/block/stairs/block/stairs...). Also, the roofs in Wickenden don't have a "horn" on the end, that's more of a northern thing if anything.

- The daub & wattle on the front/back could be a tiny bit better, though it's mostly just getting rid of the 3-wide area of open frame daub & wattle.

Anyways, for a (tentative) final challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. The style there is a bit more complicated, so please do be sure to take your time! I'm sure you'll do fine though. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Myr,

Thanks for the update!

While your house seems mostly fine and up to standards, there are a couple things that are bugging me - and it sounds like they're probably bugging you as well. I notice that you said "I should probs do this all over again.. because I secretly hate this build.." in one of the images. The overall builder culture on our server tends to be pretty perfectionist (sometimes a little too much!) and builders will oftentimes want to redo a build entirely rather than put forward a build that they don't like. I would encourage you to follow the same mindset: there's not really any hurry to submit a house here; so if you don't really like how it turned out, as you said, try to take some time to think about what specifically you don't like and then modify your house until you do like it.

Since I did say the last one was a tentative final challenge, I won't have you build another house, but I do want you to rework this one until you feel more confident about it. Here's some of the things that I'm noticing which might help you:

- Try to think about the proportions of the house. See how it measures up to other middle-class houses in FM.

- One has to be very careful with too much overhang on a short house, because from the side it can look pretty top-heavy and awkward. This is usually not an issue with row-houses, since the sides are fully covered, but since you have windows & overhang on the side as well I assume you meant for it to be exposed.

- Having the windows form pretty much a straight vertical line down the middle of your front facade looks a bit odd aesthetically speaking.

You did do a great job on the interiors though! I'm not really noticing anything there.

MyrOrion|Orion

Mummer
Afternoon,

Yeah, I’ll redo it. Thanks for the feedback!

I’ll probs hop on the server here and there to obseverve some more FM builds and note interesting details down.

Cheers,

Orion

Reactions: Emoticone11

MyrOrion|Orion

Mummer
Evenin',

I edited the build, removed the arrow slit on the side (window) and replaced the 1 window on the front and back by 2 on the left and right of the front. If you want pictures, ask me. Just seemed a bit weird to make a whole new photoshoot for it ;p.

Cheers,

Orion

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Myr,

I would indeed like to see some pictures! Just of the things you changed though, no need to do the whole thing. Did you make sure to address the points I made above, though?

Best,
Emote