Massey's Hook sub-region - Style & Inspiration Discussion

Rexstop15

Envoy
Hello everyone! With this thread I want to open a discussion/debate about the style & inspirations for the “sub-region” of Massey’s Hook in the Crownlands. Massey’s hook is a peninsula that defines the eastern extent of the Blackwater’s Bay. It is separated from Dragonstone and Driftmark to the north by the Gullet, and south of it we find Wendwater and Sweetport.

On the server there are 4 houses located in this peninsula:

-House Bar Emmon of Sharp Point (not started) – (Guillard is testing)
-House Massey of Stonedance (not started) – (Rexstop is testing)
-House Follard (finished) – (very outdated)
-House Chyttering (finished) – (very outdated)

hookk.jpg

With this threat my intention is to try to reach an agreement so we can have a consistent style all along the Hook. After talking to Guil, our idea is to get inspiration from places in Bretagne (France), Cornwall (England), and the Channel Isles. And to a lesser extent also from places in Wales, Scotland, and Normandy (France).
The peninsula needs lots of terra work, and the idea is to reflect the action of the weather and the ocean on it better. According to the canon this area of the Narrow Sea is very prone to storms, so this needs to be reflected in one way or another.
In regard to housing style, I propose the use of stone as the main material. The land is very rocky and even though wood is available it probably wouldn’t be the main material used in construction.
Please let me know what you all think, and feel free to propose anything else or add other stuff!!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Jersey3.jpg
    Jersey3.jpg
    717.2 KB · Views: 11
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 11
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 11
  • brittany-landscape-with-ocean-view-elena-elisseeva.jpg
    brittany-landscape-with-ocean-view-elena-elisseeva.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 12
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 13
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 13
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 16
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 18

Jakethesnake8_8

Skinchanger
Pronouns
he/him
Heya Rex! Love the Welsh inspiration! I may have some photos from the St Fagan’s Welsh museum of life that could be useful. Lots of Welsh homes are built in stone, something that would be useful as an inspiration, given Massey’s has minimal forest cover from what I can see. I’ve also got some Welsh castle images, so let me know if those would be useful as well!

Edit: Also an interesting idea with the terrain is to include the rain shadow effect. This happens when one side of a mountain range (the side facing the open ocean) is more forested as a result of warm sea air and storms hitting the slopes. As the storms travel over land and start precipitating, the clouds get smaller and by the time they pass over the ridge of the range, there’s very little moisture left for the other side. This usually results in less foliage growth.

Rexstop15

Envoy
Heya Rex! Love the Welsh inspiration! I may have some photos from the St Fagan’s Welsh museum of life that could be useful. Lots of Welsh homes are built in stone, something that would be useful as an inspiration, given Massey’s has minimal forest cover from what I can see. I’ve also got some Welsh castle images, so let me know if those would be useful as well!

Edit: Also an interesting idea with the terrain is to include the rain shadow effect. This happens when one side of a mountain range (the side facing the open ocean) is more forested as a result of warm sea air and storms hitting the slopes. As the storms travel over land and start precipitating, the clouds get smaller and by the time they pass over the ridge of the range, there’s very little moisture left for the other side. This usually results in less foliage growth.
Yeah, I think that showing the rain shadow effect would be a nice touch. Regarding the forest cover, it will very probably need to be increased quite a bit. At least on the eastern side, facing the Narrow Sea. Please sent me anything you want, either via discord or through here!

FD001__

Herald
Yeah, I think that showing the rain shadow effect would be a nice touch. Regarding the forest cover, it will very probably need to be increased quite a bit. At least on the eastern side, facing the Narrow Sea. Please sent me anything you want, either via discord or through here!
I think the forest cover on the eastern side could be similar to the temperate rainforest on the west coast of Scotland and parts of Wales - very old growth that could be like holdover pockets from the massive forest that existed before from the Kingswood down into the Rainwood. Agriculture cut this forest off from the Kingswood and northern Stormlands but the forest is still left over around Follard/Stonedance?.

1656775506150.png

An image from one of these forests in SW Scotland.

Rexstop15

Envoy
I think the forest cover on the eastern side could be similar to the temperate rainforest on the west coast of Scotland and parts of Wales - very old growth that could be like holdover pockets from the massive forest that existed before from the Kingswood down into the Rainwood. Agriculture cut this forest off from the Kingswood and northern Stormlands but the forest is still left over around Follard/Stonedance?.

View attachment 12859

OMG! LOVE THAT!

Tobi

Messenger

View attachment 12859

I also got such kind of forest in sweet so it could stretch from the coast into the south of Massey’s Hook. Really like the idea.
Also the whole area has a very simmilar kind of style if you compare it to Sweet.

Rexstop15

Envoy
I also got such kind of forest in sweet so it could stretch from the coast into the south of Massey’s Hook. Really like the idea.
Also the whole area has a very simmilar kind of style if you compare it to Sweet.
Idk if Sweet would retain as much humidity as the Hook, because it is much lower in elevation. But yeah, probably it has some remaining patches around.

Jakethesnake8_8

Skinchanger
Pronouns
he/him

View attachment 12859

The BoulderMoss schem would work really well for boulders in that style of forest! I’m sure we could come up with some schems for fallen trees and stumps with that degree of moss.

Tobi

Messenger
I just thought that the winds from the the sea bring the humid conditions.
Red: Strong winds
Green: Very humid forest
Also the humid forest will be a bit elevated because there will be hills.

Attachments

• InkedScreenshot 2022-07-02 180504.jpg
    InkedScreenshot 2022-07-02 180504.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord

View attachment 12859

Forest like this should be left on land with little economic potential, as it is irl. Celtic Rainforest/Atlantic Rainforest are mostly left on land that you couldn't grow crops on or graze livestock well and the wood was too warped or twisted to make good boards. Imo this is how it should be for any Atlantic Rainforest inspired Old Growth forest outside of the Kingswood and Rainwood, which are the last large primeval forests in the south. Any other pocket should be small remnants that aren't large enough to qualify as a full blown forest.

FD001__

Herald
Forest like this should be left on land with little economic potential, as it is irl. Celtic Rainforest/Atlantic Rainforest are mostly left on land that you couldn't grow crops on or graze livestock well and the wood was too warped or twisted to make good boards. Imo this is how it should be for any Atlantic Rainforest inspired Old Growth forest outside of the Kingswood and Rainwood, which are the last large primeval forests in the south. Any other pocket should be small remnants that aren't large enough to qualify as a full blown forest.
Yeah, I was thinking only small pockets away from settlements, up one the mountainous 'spine' of Massey's Hook.

I was looking at the area around Kintyre in the SW of Scotland, as it's a large peninsula (looks a bit dodgy tho o_0) and you see the dense old forests around there as well as other parts of the SW/Argyll.

1656872226568.png
Of course this is further north than what Massey's Hook would be at in server, so the climate doesn't correlate too much. But worth looking into imo.

Some images of Tarbert Castle enclosed too for inspo.

Attachments

• Tarbert Caslte.jpg
    Tarbert Caslte.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Tarbert Castle 2.jpg
    Tarbert Castle 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 10

EStoop

Steward of Oldtown, Knight of Fairmarket
The history of the Hook gives us a nice opportunity to portray differences in architecture between the original inhabitants of the area (Massey and other First Men houses) and Andal settlers (Bar Emmon for example). While the differences would be minor on the grand scale of things, defensive structures could reflect this in the same way as the Normans introduced their specific type of keep and general castle layout.