Lothric Builder Application

Lothric

Mummer
I'm 20 years old.

I live in Germany.

The first time I heard about Westeroscraft was when I was looking for inspiration for a small Minecraft fantasy world I worked on. I found a picture of the Red Keep (actually an older version) and was immediately impressed by how well the builder captured the impression from the TV show. Back then, I was just looking for ideas regarding medieval architecture so I didn't even visit the server.

A few weeks ago I listened to a psychology podcast that offered explanations for the pathological behaviour of some of the characters (Ramsay and Joffrey) and provided some lore. I find it hard to explain how fascinated and ardent I am about the lore information. Everything in the fantasy “universe” of George R. R. Martin perfectly fits together. It was a bit like learning the basic lessons of history again (which I really enjoyed back in school). Interested in finding out more about the world of Westeros and Essos I remembered the Westeroscraft Server and had a look at your youtube channel. That was when I started watching some episodes of “Westeroscraft Walks” and found out that your recreation of Westeros is dedicated to be as exact as the books allow it to be. I wanted to explore that world myself and decided to give Westeroscraft a visit.

I'm a huge fan of Walter Moers books, “The City of Dreaming Books” espacially. And I read all of the “Witcher Geralt” books, after playing the game “The Witcher 3”.

All of the above

All of the above

My favourite character is Lady Olenna Tyrell. First of all, she is a perfect example for the brilliant metaphors Martin uses in his books. Her nickname “The Queen of Thorns” indicates that she, representing house Tyrell, has two sides. The family sigil of the rose is only a shallow impression of her house; there are other violent means house Tyrell might use to achieve its political goals. This metaphor defines almost all of Lady Olenna's dialogue. She's a charming manipulator with a very sharp mind. But if it gets serious, she knows to help herself, for the sake of house Tyrell of course. And in contrast to Tywin Lannister, she's a warm and caring grandmother, who respects her children and grandchildren regardless of their flaws*. (“A sword-swallower through and through.”)

*Since I'm referring to Loras Tyrell, I don't mean to convey homosexuality is a flaw. My case was simply referring to the conventions and informal rules of the society of Westeros.

Before I'll start talking about my personal skills, I have to admit that I can not really compete with the level of skill that is required for mega builds like the Sept of Baelor or the Red Keep.
But I'm willing to learn. Besides I'm happy with small projects and I'll do my best to make them look well and fitting into a scenery. I also enjoy working on team projects‚ since I find reviews and ideas from others inspiring and often helpful. Criticism in a constructive way is always welcome to me.

Something I'm good at is understanding and using a certain style of architecture. I've practised building in quite different ways. Lately I successfully used certain medieval aesthetics. Even though it wasn't intended, that might've prepared me for the work at Westeroscraft.
I often manage to create locations that have a very romantic, though fantasy-related atmosphere. At certain locations I find myself thinking: “This is a place, where you would want to have a drink with your friends!” I think the feeling emanated from a place is an essential part of a fantasy world, particularly if the fantasy world is supposed to serve as a role play server eventually.
As a lore enthusiast I'd be happy to search the books for specific informations regarding a place in the world of Westeros and (hopefully some day) Essos.

When I visited the world of “The Witcher 3” and traveled the war-torn lands of northern Temeria I had the unique and thrilling feeling of discovering a well written and well designed fantasy “universe” for the first time. Now, that I traveled through the Seven Kingdoms on Westeroscraft for a while I had that feeling again. And the “universe” you are creating is an aesthetic implementation of a complex world. That is absolutely unique, as far as I know. All the houses, all the cities and villages form a complex political system that is very similar to the states of middle age Europe. For a history and lore enthusiast like me, that is a huge pleasure.
Back in the day, when I played “The Witcher 3” I was consuming a well made fantasy “universe” (not as detailed and complex as Westeros and Essos of course). This time I have an opportunity to not only consume, but to produce certain parts of a “universe” and if you allow me to do so, I want to seize it.

https://lothric97.imgur.com

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SchmiedOlaf

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Lothric! Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions tidily. I aswell enjoyed the Witcher books, and the detailed world of the games is indeed an example for our worldbuilding.

While your build may be impressive, the application rules ask for a simple house to be built instead of a castle. Once accepted as a new builder, one has to go through a probation period of approx. one month. During this time, you won't be allowed to start your own projects, but instead build houses at ongoing projects.

This is why I ask you to go to /warp Whiteharbour and build a townhouse in that style. Be sure to have a longer look around to understand the style and different classes well enough. If you build as precise as you write, this application can be short. Good luck!

Reactions: Wazgamer

Lothric

Mummer
Hey Andy, thank you for your kind words and the feedback – and naturally for the quick answer.

The research task is in process and I suppose the house will be done by the end of next week. I hope you don‘t have to be more patient than me, waiting for the house.

Lothric

Mummer
Hey there, I immersed myself in the challenge and completed it way earlier than I expected.

However my Westeroscraft-Minecraft in Singleplayer doesn’t show the „Itchy Straw Bed“ for example. I’ve used two „Thatch Fur Slabs“ to imitate a bed of this type. The light thatch fur slab is supposed to be the pillow end. Please use your imagination to complete the picture.

Reactions: Hgkoolaid

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
I'm very patient with applications, tbh. it can take me about five days to reply when I'm busy. So don't rush, go for quality instead. But judging by your first build, you do that! I still got some feedback ready for you:

While the gradient is not used often inside the city walls, you applied it well. Also good job on not putting windows on walls that border other houses. No fan of putting wooden bark fences on top of wooden bark walls. Normally supporting timbers do not change their thickness like this. Also there wouldn't be full logs next to the firewood. In a city you'd only buy the later. Otherwise great job on the exteriors!

https://i.imgur.com/gbaKxw4.png
For the interiors, there are a few thinks to mention in this picture. Houses usually either have a stone foundation, wooden floor or just dirt and gravel mix if they ground-level. Don't mix all those materials up. When putting down carpets/thatch, don't mix the dark and lighter versions. For the ceiling you should try to make it look less flat. Personally i really like a mix of slab-stairs-slab-stairs-slab for a ceiling that looks like it has supporting beams. Just don't make it too crowded, e.g. by placing only stairs. With a more interesting ceiling you don't need to put that random fowl in the living/dining area, but rather in the kitchen.

https://i.imgur.com/veJfAdz.png
You can use wooden slabs for tables, but they don't work well on the edge of a working place. Your cauldron is flying, try to add a chain harness above.

https://i.imgur.com/A7dW9AC.png
Medieval houses mostly used chamber pots, only rich people who could afford a servant to empty it would have a toilet inside their house. And if you want to place these, be sure to add a door for it, as people would not s(h)it there right in the open.

https://i.imgur.com/jHL5xfb.png
I know this really narrows us sometimes, but dont leave parts of the roof uncovered.

Overall, a more than surpassing first house. This is why we skip all the way to a house in the difficult Fairmarket-style.
Please do a middle class house, of which you can find many in the long west-east road south of the castle. Materials used are widely different, but combinations and interior layouts follow a pattern. Please choose a fitting profession and add a workshop on ground level as well as a backyard. Good luck!

Reactions: Hgkoolaid

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
Great work!

-You did a nice and symmetric pattern on the D&W, great! For the brick walls I'd prefer a gradient with more larger bricks, but that may be personal taste.

-I would have preferred a backyard more focussed on veggie farming, as even middle class townspeople would use free space for this.

-I wouldn't hang the sausages in the middle of the room.

-https://i.imgur.com/omMqyBE.png
Try to cover D&W blocks from above, e.g. with wooden carpets. Also i'd prefer if the windows did not start at ground level. I saw that there are problems with fur beds in the last build, why exactly did you use wool for the normal beds this time as well?

-The attic could have been used more for a little missing storage. In this climate only servants would sleep here, as it can get cold and wet here sometimes. Besides that, great work on the layout and use of different floors, e.g. workshop and kitchen on the ground level. Also great that you used glass only on the main living floor.

I think another challenge would be a waste, everything else you may need to learn or correct can be done during your probation time on the server. Be sure to read our New Builders Guide before asking a Moderator to promote you ingame. Welcome to the team!

Lothric

Mummer
Hey Andy, thank you so much! I‘m very glad to be a part of this amazing world.

The bed-refusal: My singleplayer Minecraft apparently doesn‘t show any of the Westeroscraft bed-types. I tried to imitate the ordinary red and green bed, since it would be less likely for a middle class family in a town to have straw beds. Again the white slab was supposed to be the pillow end.