Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
LochMonsterG

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Australia

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
From a friend

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
Game of Thrones vast world and history is what drew me into the books. I have always been a fan of epic fantasy and history, so you can see why game of Thrones caught my eye. The vast world is Truley amazing, and I've spent hours poring over the map, researching locations. Game of Thrones politics, character building and ability to subvert expectations really hooked me and kept me interested, while I watched through the show, read the books and researched the lore.

What is your favorite build on our server?
My favorite build is the Golden Tooth. Since I first read the books, I've had an affinity for the Golden Tooth and the Westeros Craft build did not disappoint. The golden tooth was well compartmentalized and had a warm atmosphere which made it even more lovable. My other favorite has to be Winterfell. I was so happy to explore a book accurate version of Winterfell, which was ten times better than the shows. Winterfell's atmosphere and general pallet really dragged you into the build and gave you that ancient and sturdy feel that you associate with Winterfell.

Why do you want to join our server?
When my friend Not_wfl242 introduced me to Westeros Craft I was amazed by the server. I could travel through it and feel like I was traversing the lands of Westeros. It looked and felt just as I had imagined and put the shows version to shame. Not_Wfl242 and I have been playing Minecraft and building together for years. We are both fans of ASoIaF for a while, so finding the server was a amazing. After building together for years we want to bring our building to Westeros Craft and hopefully sometime in the future manage and create several small project together.

2022-11-01_20.22.05.png2022-11-01_20.22.16.png2022-11-01_20.22.27.png2022-11-01_20.22.35.png2022-11-01_20.22.39.png2022-11-01_20.22.49.png2022-11-01_20.22.52.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey LochMonster,

Thanks for bearing with the delay, and glad to see your interest in helping with the project! In the future, feel free to ping me if it's been several days without a response.

Nice work with the apphouse! Not really seeing any issues with it. Hope the exercise was helpful for learning our server's building style. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. I recommend studying the elements of multiple houses in the style (furniture, timber frame patterns, rafter designs, etc.) and trying to synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp tortown, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Reactions: Jeffjunior77

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Lochmonster,

Really nice work on this house, you've picked up the style quickly! (especially the plaster gradient, which is usually tricky for people to get down). I do think you could make the gradient even a little bit less noisy, avoiding "singleton" blocks and the like - for instance, I made a quick edit of the front side to show how I'd do it - but that's fairly minor. Otherwise, I don't really have any feedback this time around.

For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp oatown, with a yard. As before, let me know if you've got any questions. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Lochmonster,

Awesome job again on this style! Seems like it could fit right in. The only feedback I have this time around is some pretty minor stuff:

- Avoid long horizontal stripes of the basic timber frame block (the one with horizontal CTM), since it looks a bit odd and is not structurally sound. Although since it'd be obscured by another house in this case it's not as important.

- I usually try to cover up areas where I have the stone foundation showing through to the second floor, such as here, which just requires careful arrangement of the furniture so I can make sure I have only full blocks and carpet blocks on it. However, it's not the end of the world if you have the stone showing through as long as you integrate it well.

- Maybe add a shelf or something to the far wall in this room so it feels less empty.

- A couple pointers for gradients in the yard: First, I wouldn't have mud and grass directly touching each other due to the contrast. You can use wet ocean rock pebbles between the two to transition, or at least have dirt between the two. Second, when going between mud (or farmland) and dirt, it's best to transition using pine needles, wet stormlands pebbles, or sometimes muddy sand (check what gradient is used in the particular style). Finally, a nice trick you can use to transition with grass is to place leaf blocks in the ground so it creates a small bush effect. This is also great for using under fences where you can't place tall grass blocks.

Otherwise, really nice work. For the next challenge build, please make a small farmstead in the style of /warp beresford. At a minimum it should have a peasant house and barn (or possibly a combined house/barn), some vegetable and herb gardens, and animal pens. You're also encouraged to add any other details you find in researching medieval farmsteads for inspiration, if you so choose. Good luck!