larissazimbru

Storyteller
What is your Minecraft username?
justahumanbeing

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Romania

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Planet Minecraft

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love Tyrion's trial in the series, but I love Cersei's and Ned's last dialogue in the books.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Casterly Rock because of it's complexity, ranging from deep chambers to the part of the castle that peeks out of the rock. I also love the way it kinda blends in with Lannisport.

Why do you want to join our server?
I want to join your server as a potential buider because I want to take part in this amazing project as much as I can. I believe the fact that I am a volunteer in 3 other places already would grant me a sense of responsability, and you could count on me eventually. Finally, I've been playing minecraft for about 7 years on and off and that's about it.

2023-08-08_03.04.32.png2023-08-08_03.00.12.png2023-08-08_03.00.26.png2023-08-08_03.00.40.png2023-08-08_03.01.15.png2023-08-08_03.02.14.png2023-08-08_03.01.35.png2023-08-08_03.02.45.png2023-08-08_03.03.04.png2023-08-08_03.03.46.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey larissazimbru (or justahumanbeing, let me know what you prefer)! Nice work with the app house! I see no major issues with it. With this build we hope you catched some of the techniques and ways we have of building here. Now your task will be to build other houses in the style of different locations in our server, but this time instead of copying you will have to come up with a design of your own based on the characteristics of the area we tell you.

Your next challenge will be to build a farmer's house in the style of /warp sdham1, with a yard. You can also check /warp sdham2 or /warp sdham3 for additional inspo, they all follow the same style. Once you are done you can upload some screenshots here and I will evaluate them as soon as I can. Have fun!​

Reactions: larissazimbru

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Larissa! Good job with the build! I quite like how you used the uneven terrain inside the house, nice detail! A small comment, if you can for the next challenges try taking pics with no shaders on, it makes it easier for me to see. Also if you want to upload more than 10 pics per challenge you can use imgur.com, an image hosting site. Many builder applicants use it, you can check other apps and see it. Having said all that, now I will go over it in more detail giving you my feeback:​
  • Although not unrealistic, your house seems a little bit too big. In general in our server houses are a bit smaller because we have to consider the map scale too and make sure there's space for everything. Lenght seems mostly fine, I would reduce its depth by a couple of blocks.​
  • Instead of making houses with an organic shape, try making them more regular. If your house is on a diagonal each "step" should be the same number of blocks, so the end result is a straight line. A pic below to illustrate what I mean:​
  • Same could be said about the roof: try making it more regular and clean. A bit of uneveness is good, it adds personality to the build, specially if the material is thatch, like here. But don't go overboard with the "blobbiness" or the amount of holes as the shape of the roof can end up lost among the many details.​
  • I see you did catch on the use of gradients on the walls, nice! As a general rule, try that each block on a gradient only touches the one right before and after. This can be broken sometimes, but it's something good to have in mind.​
2023-08-04_03.15.01.png
  • Although you can, you don't need to cover the underside of a roof completely by stairs. A common design you can use alternates slabs and stairs, trying to imitate the look of rafters on a real building. A bit of the roof material peaking through is fine.​
2023-02-19_20.22.15.png
  • When using a block that has 4 sides but isn't really meant to have them (a cabinet, a tool bench...) all of the sides but one are meant to be hidden. You can place a basket or, if you want a cleaner look, use a half door. Yours was half covered by a slab, but is still preferred if it is completely hidden.​
2023-02-20_01.34.09.png

This may seem like a lot, but I promise you most are small tweaks that in no time you will be used to doing. For your next challenge go to /warp Kerseyford and build a house with a profession and a yard. Good luck and have fun!​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Great build Larissa! I think you managed to give it a lot of personality. An inn is both a valid and very interesting choice for these types of challenges, I'm happy to see you go for it! As you may already imagine, I will give you some feedback now:​
  • Unless the style of the area depicts it, "bell shaped" roofs are not meant to be done, they look a bit odd. A simpler 45 degree roof (all stairs) works just fine. you may have noticed that some fancier buildings in Kerseyford end up in a full block and a wall block, that's a way of making the roof a bit more interesting, if you so desire.​
  • The chimney looks a bit too ruined, the amount of cracks can be turned down. You don't want too many, otherwhise it looks like it is about to collapse.​
  • The timber pattern is nice, I will just suggest you simplifiying the top part a little. I think it can be all vertical wattle.​
2023-08-24_14.36.58.png
  • When making tables with slabs, for the side supports use half doors rather than wattle, it looks a bit flimsy.​
2023-08-24_15.24.34.png
  • If you want to make a 3-tall door use a half door or a window shutter that matches not a trapdoor. Or an upside-down stair.​
2023-08-24_15.27.22.png
  • For fancy beds (like the green ones) use half doors as the footboard.​
2023-08-24_15.29.47.png
  • When making the underside of >45º roofs (so those that go stair-full block-stair) use a half door to conect the stair with the slabs bellow. This is better to explain with a picture:​
collage (2).jpg
  • A small detail: a full barrel of water is really heavy, most houses wouldn't have one at their top floor hehehehe.​
  • Glasss cabinets are really expensive, keep them for the fanciest of buildings.​
Overall good job! For your next challenge go to /warp Fairmarket and make a house with a profession and a yard. Good luck and have fun!

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Not at all! Do not worry about due dates or anything like that, I am the only one here who should reply within a short period of time. Take your time to pick it up again if you so desire. It is nice to see you still having interest on it though!