JordanSeaward Builder Application

JordanSeaward

Mummer

New Zealand

I original heard about westeros craft by a minecraft youtuber, but can no longer remember who.

Attack on Titan, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Bersekr, Claymore, Mount and Blade. Final Fantasy, Dragon Valor.

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

My favourite character is Petyr Baelish, chaos is a ladder is my favourite line and I feel like his true plans were cut short in the show and am hoping to get into the books to find out what he is actually up to.

I am a very creative person who has published 3 computer games on the steam store where I did all the Art, Music and Programming, my best skill being pixel art. I also used to run a "Mount and Blade" community and created over 100 maps for hosted events and other players servers.

I couldn't believe the both the quality and quantity of kingslanding, and frequently just go on to look at it, and hope that I can be a part of something just as awe-inspiring, I have a strong love of architecture and would love to learn more as I go.

https://imgur.com/a/miL4Rzs

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Reactions: SchmiedOlaf

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Jordan,

Thanks for taking the time to apply to be a builder.

The build you have submitted would not be of a standard expected on the server, but when faced with some challenges I think you have the potential to get there.

You had a decent stab at using a palette seen across the server, which is admirable.

Some things you need to think about again before you come to do the challenge I set you below;

• What is the function of any given build? You appear to have gone for some kind of tavern or bar-- suggested by the long wooden bar found in similar builds across the server. In this case, make it bigger! People need space to come in and drink, relax etc. The size of what you've built would be just about big enough for a normal house.
  • A low class build typically wouldn't use glass. Glass was an expensive luxury in medieval times, so it wouldn't typically be found in a normal wattle and daub home.
  • I'd say for a house this size it's two blocks too tall. Two blocks for a foundation isn't totally necessary, though this may be due to building on a flat world that this looks so jarring.
  • Wattle and daub was a structural material as such view the wood in the blocks as more than just decorative. It's not enough to just put the blocks down, they need to make sense. Some excellent daub patterns can be found at /warp Fairmarket and /warp Duskendale. Pay attention to how the different daub blocks look next to each other.
  • You don't need such an ornate stone/wooden wall porch for such a low class house. Also try and avoid heavy stone blocks being supported by wooden pillars!
  • Think about what you're actually trying to show when you use a block. For example; what is the rope oak block outside the building hanging from the roof? What is the stormlands brick hopper?
I truly feel you'd benefit from some more exploration before attempting the challenge. Be sure to watch some of our builders at work, pay attention to what blocks they use. You'll develop your own style in time.

Your first challenge, should you chose to accept it, is to build a low class house in the style of /warp hawthorne Be sure to pay attention to the palette, and the way these houses are furnished.

I look forward to seeing you develop,

Veg

Reactions: JordanSeaward

JordanSeaward

Mummer
Thank you for your reply, your criticisms on my building were very clear an precise, here is my second attempt to impress with your hawthorne challange.

Here

Veggie

The Old Bear
Much better, good job!

You nailed the shape of the roof, though don't forget to add the overhang fully (when a building style uses them), it looks like you forgot a couple of blocks on the underside of the eaves on the one side.

Your interiors look perfectly fine, though it's difficult to see with the screenshots being so dark. Be sure to ensure that either 1. All the thatching on the roof is covered on the interiors, or 2. It's at least supported by something that looks visually realistic. No bare unsupported thatch.

Rushes (the thatch carpet) should be substantial areas rather than small scatterings of thatch. Rushes acted as carpet does today-- it helps prevent heat loss through a dirt floor and makes areas easier to keep clean.

For your exteriors, you don't need a huge pile of firewood like that, and typically we'd try to avoid the clothes lines when it ends up spitting out the same texture 3-4 times but you weren't to know that.

For your next challenge build something in the style of /warp Duskendale -- preferably one in the style of the houses on the river front, which are defined by the fact they are at least three floors, with an emphasis on height.

This may a bit more challenging so feel free to take your time. I'm leading Duskendale so feel free to message me in game if you need guidance.

Veg