JoeSanduskyo Builder Application

• Thread starter Deleted member 7534
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7534

United States of America

I downloaded the old Winterfell map online for a PvP., and recognized the server when it was advertised in a magazine. I forget which one though.

A Song of Ice and Fire, The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, Mistborn, Ranger's Apprentice, Percy Jackson. This list includes the ones I've read when I was younger.

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3

Petyr Baelish, all the way. I find him to be endlessly intriguing. He is always plotting with someone or against them, playing the same game from every angle to his own advantage. All around one of the deepest and most meaningful characters in A Song of Ice and Fire.

My skills lie in small builds, local farming communities and the like. I'd appreciate any constructive criticism from the professional builders on here, so that I can improve my game and work up to the more important, major builds. My skillset is, again, entirely in small, local builds.

I'm a long-time no-build member of the server, exploring on it for three years now. I'm sure most of you know me. I've built for other servers in the past and they've all been satisfied with my work, but I have never been truly satisfied with it. The upper standard as far as Minecraft building, or, one might argue, virtual creation in its entirety, is WesterosCraft, and I have always wished to be a part of it and learn from it.

If there are any problems with my application let me know and I'll fix them! I welcome any and all challenges until staff feel that I am ready to participate!

You Know Nothing, Jon Snow!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey PETASOS,

Finally got some time to look at this! Sorry bout the wait. Your tests look pretty good! They’re not up to server standards just yet, but it looks like you have a good eye for details so it shouldn’t take long to get you there. Anyways, I’ll start out giving some feedback on the main things I noticed, and then get you started on challenge builds in particular styles:

- I think our resource pack isn’t loaded properly, as the cobble seems way too pale. I think this is probably why your wattle fence is invisible too.

- We pretty much always avoid using full logs in houses now (unless it’s an actual log cabin); it’s considered outdated because the logs look kind of clunky.

- You shouldn’t use a material e.g. daub & wattle only in a single horizontal layer. If you have very small houses, it’s better to just make it out of 1 material (e.g. stone).

- Try to avoid “bubble yards/walls”, i.e. where the walls are kind of amorphous/without a well-defined shape. You want to make the walls straight lines generally (these can be diagonal though).

- It doesn’t really make sense for wheat to be grown in house gardens, since it takes large amounts of grain to actually produce things. So it’s usually grown only in fields.

- Whenever you use workbench/cabinet blocks, you should cover all sides except for one. Usually you can do this with half door blocks, or other furniture.

- Always avoid randomly mixing blocks (i.e. noise), as well as having adjacent blocks which contrast badly with each other. For example, in your house you randomly mix in dark thatch with light thatch.

Finally, before you continue, I recommend making sure you see /warp gradient and /warp furnish on our server - both immensely helpful warps.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the above feedback, or build styles on our server. For the first challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp sweetport. Middle-class are the ones with white daub&wattle and black slate rooves. Good luck!

-Emote