Homoparvulus Builder Application

Homoparvulus

Mummer

England

On a Reddit post a few years back, seen it here and there around the web on youtube and other websites.

I am a fan of the Tolkien books, have read the Hobbit and LOTR and the Silmarrilion, and seen the films aswell. I like the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) books too. Also fantasy games like Warhammer (Table Top and Total War), The Witcher and Elder Scrolls.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

My favourite ASOIAF character now would probably have to be Daenerys, as I have a lot of intrest in Essosi culture and I particularly like her perspective. Although this is a decision mostly made on the basis of her location, I think she is a great character in her own right and gets a lot of the best and most intresting plots, although I will always have a love for Tyrion, because his chapters are always a good mix of emotional moments and funny ones. So either Tyrion or Daenerys,

I have loved minecraft for a long time and have been building for a long time, both in modded and vanilla worlds and would like to think I can pull off realistic looking builds pretty well. I also love history and architecture, and although I don't pursue architecture academically, as I do history, I think my knowledge of it is at least a good basis on which to present ideas about how buildings are constructed in the real world. Finally I am a total addict of the world of ASOIAF, and am VERY familiar with the lore of the world, both in all regions of Westeros and most regions of Essos, although my knowledge of YiTi and Ibenese history are pretty minimal (which can't really be helped based on the canonical info we have got.

Well to keep it short I love what you guys are doing, I love exploring the intricate and imaginative builds you have constructed, and I want to be a part of it. I genuinely believe I am able to bring something to the server, and help create a fantastic world for everyone to enjoy.

https://imgur.com/a/pe4OIra

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Homoparvulus!

I like the little diorama you built!

To consider your application fully, you'll need to submit pictures of a house built in any style of our server. I'd advise somewhere like /warp Duskendale or /warp Highgarden as a place to get started.

Once you've uploaded that I'm happy to get the ball rolling on you becoming a builder!

All the best,

V

Homoparvulus

Mummer
Sorry I got a little bit carried away in that build, haven't done much in a while.
Here's something Duskendale-ish, I was thinking a wealthy merchant originally but decided to branch it into two middle class families as I wasn't sure a wealthy merchant would choose to live in Duskendale.
Hope this fits the parameters a bit better, although I was unhappy with a couple things which I'd like to ask your advice on as a preliminary of you giving feedback. How could I detail the base of the chimneys without it seeming too bulky, and how do I fill a space with a tall ceiling (the bedroom without a loft) without just adding a loft, I thought it felt empty.

Cheers,
Parv

Homoparvulus

Mummer
Was trying to avoid the particles is all.
Here are the brighter images

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hey Parv;

Things you should work on

• Building diagonals is hard, and you've not quite pulled it off here. There are a number of ways of doing them, from one block off-sets at even intervals to true diagonal shapes which are offset on each face. If you do want to try your hand again there are plenty of examples around in the latest town builds. I admire your ambition to have given it a go though.
  • Whilst the building is tall, it looks squat. You can afford to go for some more elegant doorways, and a taller ground floor, there's no limits! I think the large wooden hoardings/overhangs add to this.
  • The gable tops (the wall blocks) look a bit spikey and I'd avoid those in the future.
  • You're right, the chimneys are huge and bulky. With a chimney stack we just need to block the fire sufficiently from stuff that would burn, and suggest at a large structure. As long as the backs of the furnaces were covered there would have been nothing wrong from just building directly atop them. You can see clever ways people fit in chimney stacks across the server
  • You asked for advice on the ceiling, I think it's fine however there's no hard rule on how tall a floor should be. With a building of this size you would have ample space for two full floors and a more cramped attic space. Again, take a look around at the warehouses on the server to see how they've done this.
Things which are good!

• Your furnishings seem solid, good block variation with nothing too out of place. I think the awkward thing with this build is that to me it looks like a warehouse rather than a house, so there's a strange tension between the upstairs looking a bit like a restaurant and the downstairs looking like a typical kitchen? As something close to a warehouse, I think the furnishings work, but as a house it falls short.
  • I like that you're starting to think about how to best use the space you've got, particular with the split level with a ladder on the upstairs. You should build on this to make houses look more visually interesting inside, but don't be afraid to better use the space and fill it up.

In conclusion

I think for your next challenge, you should scale it back a bit. We want to see it's houses you can build, 'bog standard' houses, if you like. This is what you'll be doing most of the time so we need to see you're good at it!

Don't be afraid to add a bit of flair to things, but understand that often (particularly at other peoples projects) you're building within set parameters, so do try and do something conventional, at least when you're applying!

For your next challenge, go ahead and build a house in the /warp StoneySept style, be sure to look closely at proportions, block usage as well as appropriate furnishings for a typical house.

Good luck!

Veg