Hannojo Builder Application

Hannojo

Mummer

The United States of America

I was a visitor on the server about a year ago but, I believe that I found the server via the WesterosCraft YouTube channel or an individual's channel who was doing a walkthrough of the server.

The Dwarves & Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones

All of the above

My favorite A Sword of Ice and Fire character would most likely have to be Bronn. I appreciate his stubborn demeanor and blunt way of speaking to everyone. He always cuts right to the chase and has worked himself up from being a low-born mercenary to a knight and eventually marries into house Stokeworth. I just love how he comes from such humble, and rather mysterious, beginnings to ending up as a lord of a house.

I am pretty well versed in history, my favorite subject of which being East Asian history, but I am proficient enough in Feudal European society and culture as well; what A Sword of Ice and Fire is based on obviously. This aids me in my builds as I can relate mentioned knowledge to who and what should be living in the world in relation to one another. Although, I'm definitely not the only one on the server with a decent understanding of the Feudal European system.
Also, I take criticism quite well and prefer it as it helps me learn. I like to think of myself as a decent enough human being and am a compassionate and helpful person.

To start, I am very enthralled with the HBO series, Game of Thrones, and I am beginning to read the books; although incredibly slowly. I have always been interested and rather efficient at building in Minecraft however, I long to be a part of a group and build something that I am unable to do on my own. With WesterosCraft I am able to combine both interests and, hopefully, produce something wonderful.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Jun 15, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Hannojo,

Sorry for the delay, thank you for your application! Your house seems like a pretty good start, I could see it fitting in pretty well as a poor farmer house in the fingers region of the Vale. I'll get right to some feedback before giving some specific house styles to work on:

- The stone gradient needs a bit of work. There are a few principles here: first, avoid harsh contrast between light blocks and dark blocks right next to each other. For example, in your house you have "dark cobble" and "cobblestone" touching which clashes a lot. Second, (this one isn't a problem in your house), always have a smooth transition between blocks rather than a "noisy" one.

I greatly recommend checking out /warp gradient on our server before continuing.

- For similar reasons as above, never mix light thatch & dark thatch in rooves or carpets.

- For the rafters holding up the thatch ceiling on the inside, I recommend using wood slabs/stairs instead of fence.

- When using cabinet and workbench blocks, always cover all the other sides, since it doesn't really make sense for a cabinet to open on two sides. For example, here. It's usually easily done by placing a half door block on the side, though you should keep it in mind when planning interiors in the first place.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! When you're ready, for a challenge build please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Good luck!

-Emote

Hannojo

Mummer
Hello again Emotione11,

Here is the completed Woodwright middle-class house that also doubles as an apothecary.
I believe I was able to fix aforementioned mistakes. I feel that I have done a significantly better job at the gradient of the walls; /warp gradient really helped. Also, no more ugly thatch and I've definitely improved the rafters.

Thank you for your time,
~Hannojo

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Hannojo,

Excellent work! This house is a huge improvement and the interiors look great. Here's some more feedback on it:

- The roof, while much better, is still a tad messy. Try to start with a completely clean/flat roof, and then only after add a couple full blocks or corner stairs- just a couple though. Subtlety is the key here.

- With house gardens/yards, try your very best to avoid "bubble yards", which is where you have a rounded "organically" shaped yard which looks a bit messy, especially in contrast with the rectangular shapes of the houses. If you go back to woodwright, you'll notice how most of the yards there use more angular shapes, with walls mostly being straight or diagonal lines. That's what you should try to aim for. Also, as a minor detail, the "reach pink light stone" looks a bit better in the garden walls than the "reach pink brick".

- In the interiors, it typically looks better to do the thatch carpet in continuous "blobs" rather than scattered around randomly. There's a nice trick as well where you use full thatch blocks in the floor as well as thatch carpet blocks to add some "depth" to it.

- Consider this entirely a matter of personal taste, since I know it is done in houses at Woodwright, but I'm typically not fond of crate blocks being used in house exteriors like you do in the roof gable, since it looks like it's obviously a crate. This is a pretty minor thing though.

For another challenge build, please make a house in the style of /warp lht. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Hannojo, lovely work on this house! The layout and proportions are very well done. My list of feedback will be very short this time:

- This side looks slightly odd but can't put my finger on it- I think the daub & wattle pattern seems very "tall" considering how narrow it is? That said, it's not an issue at all if there's a house right next to it.

- Avoid using paintings & bookshelves in anything except the wealthiest households- the former because paintings were generally made on commission and were pretty expensive to make, and the latter because literacy was extremely low in medieval times (actually, many nobility weren't even completely literate, which is why they had house stamps to seal contracts)

- The two cabinet blocks here are a bit strange the way they just pop out of the wall, usually what I do with cabinets is try to embed them in the wall. It's often tricky though and you sometimes have to plan your house around it (e.g. give yourself double-thick walls in some part)

For another challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Keep in mind the style here is a bit more eclectic, but I'm sure you'll have no trouble. Good luck!

Hannojo

Mummer
I was able to complete the Fairmarket middle-class house, thank you for being quite quick in responding to my last challenge. Here is the completed third challenge,
Thank you yet again for your time,
~Hannojo

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Hannojo,

Once more, great work! The daub & wattle pattern is nice and clean, and the interiors all seem very good. I only have a few very minor feedback:

- In the wood supports on the bottom, swap out the thin log block with an oak plank wall block.

- Try to work on the vines a little bit, instead of having "strands" have one larger & continuous patch of vines. Also, make sure that it's connected to the ground since the vines need nutrients to grow.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with your progress, so consider yourself approved! Ask a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder if it doesn't do so automatically.

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader will post on your thread and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses until the end of the month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D