Gaybowser

Mummer
What is your Minecraft username?
GayBowserlol

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Australia

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Reddit

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
Often making the morally correct choice is a bad strategic decision, so it adds depth when a character makes such a choice, such as Jaime killing Mad King Aerys II despite it ruining his reputation. The world building is also incredible, and many chapters, such as the Kingsmoot and Bran's training with Bloodraven have palpable atmosphere.

What is your favorite build on our server?
The Last Hearth, it somehow feels both cozy and dark at the same time, absolutely perfect atmosphere

Why do you want to join our server?
I want to contribute to some builds and refine my Minecraft building skills, and discuss inspirations and styles of architecture,

2023-11-05_22.40.53.png2023-11-05_22.41.19.png2023-11-05_22.41.45.png2023-11-05_22.41.58.png2023-11-05_22.42.05.png2023-11-05_22.42.10.png2023-11-05_22.42.26.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Gaybowser! We've talked a little on discord, you may remember. Nice work with the app house! It shows that you payed attetion to every detail. I see no major issues with it. With this build we hope you catched some of the techniques and ways we have of building here. Now your task will be to build other houses in the style of different locations in our server, but this time instead of copying you will have to come up with a design of your own based on the characteristics of the area we tell you.

Your next challenge will be to build a farmer's house in the style of /warp sdham1, with a yard. You can also check /warp sdham2 or /warp sdham3 for additional inspo, they all follow the same style. Once you are done you can upload some screenshots here and I will evaluate them as soon as I can. Have fun!​

Reactions: Gaybowser

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Do not worry, the link works just fine. Regarding your build, it looks awesome! I have no comments to make, it seems like you got the style right off the bat. For your next challenge to to /warp ladyham2 and build a house in its style. You can check ladyham1 and ladyham3 for more references. A yard/shed is not mandatory as most houses there lack one, but you can take a look at what other stuff you may want to add outside, if you see it fitting. Good luck and have fun!​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Cute build! My only feedback is regarding the gradient. Although Laydbright uses several combinations of blocks for gradienting its buildings yours has one that isn't present. Arbor stone isn't really used. Instead you may want to use monochrome sandstone, for example. And at the bottom half of the building make sure to use (from top to bottom) Dorne dull terracotta and then Dorne Light Terracotta, so the warm tones transition into the cool tones of the monochrome sandstone.​

2023-11-15_11.27.02.png

For your next challenge go to /warp OATown and build a house with a profession and a yard. Good luck and have fun!​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
No worries! Take the time you need, the only one here that should reply within a set amount of time is me.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Gaybowser! No worries, take the time you need, there's no pressure or time limit. I'm the only one here who should reply within a reasonable amount of time. Regarding your build nice job overall! As usual now I will go and give you some more concrete feedback:​
  • The gradient needs a bit of work. Remember to try and have each block of it touch only the ones right after and right before, so that the end result is seamless and transitions nicely. Generally if working in "cross patterns" results in a nicer look, if that helps. Here Ieave a picture that illustrates my point better:​
2023-02-19_20.02.38.png
  • The roof material needs to be changed. Old Anchor uses a lot of jungle wood, which has a dark bourdeaux colour. You used red wood, which unlike the former is meant to represent a stained/dyed wood. It wouldn't last long as shingles. Then again this isn't a "mistake" as much as not really within the style of the area.​
  • I would change the way you did the outcrops' rafters. Instead of a single line of stairs use a conbination of stairs and slabs to add a bit more visual interest. Here you have a picture illustrating that (blue wood is just there to highlight were slabs go):​
2023-02-24_18.21.08.png
  • Although it can be considered an stylistic choice, you may want to change the window frames to a colout that matches the timber framing around them. Old Anchor if I recall correctly uses both matching and contrasting frames at times, so guess it is up to the builder.​
  • You may want to check other potters for furnishing reference, recreating professions takes some time to develop as a skill, and it is easier if one knows a couple good builds to use as examples to follow (something ofc you aren't meant to know yet). Being more specific, I find the bottom floor a bit empty, and I would remove the fancy books and glass shelves, too much for this profession.​
That is all! Might seem like a lot but if you read carefully it is pretty obvious I'm being nitpicky, you are doing great and it is nice to see you pick up the app after a while. For your next challenge go to /warp Duskendale and build a high class house with a profession and a yard. You will identify these houses by their size and fancy furnishing and unique professions. At Duskendale most concentrate at the street up to the sept and the northern side of the city. Good luck and have fun!​