Engraved Ashlar Blocks using knot carvings

ZEZEWALK

Messenger
Request: Engraved Ashlar Blocks using knot carvings

Request Type:
Change

Try to describe all current uses of the block you request to be changed. Do you foresee any issues/ problems that could result from changing the block?

I've never been a fan of the full engraved ashlar block series. Engravings should have a real basis from Westerosi culture or their real life counterparts :/
Also this block could be used in tombs and drawing rooms if it had an aesthetic and cultural value.

I'm suggesting that a block that looks more like the carved sandstone vertical top CTM. By replacing the chiseled diamond shape in the center with knot carvings, we can better reference First Men culture. This would also go really well with the runic carving thread.

2024-04-16_20.22.41.png

(Note that there is a separate and better black keystone block with the same block name that doesn't need changing)

Historical evidence
Inspirations include Celtic and Saxon knot carvings made on tombs, churches and

Attachments

• 2024-04-16_20.19.32.png
    2024-04-16_20.19.32.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I would prefer we dont outright change them to the sandstone texture since the context we use that pattern for is entirely Dornish.

I would recommend an entirely new block set rather than a replacement, especially since the engraved textures are also used in contexts completely separate from First Men structures or cultures that would make no sense to change them to first men engravings

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I'm all for de-doku-ifying the block pack but agree with Marg that these engraved textures get used all the time in non-First men contexts and so a FM related texture doesn't work, and neither does the Dornish patterns (the sun engraving, vertical carvings etc). Imo the criss-crossing top pattern could be used as a side pattern for FM related things but still would be best to keep it inside the Dornish context for the moment i.e. Stony Dornish works and places. Dorne has pretty much half of the known definite First Men Kingdoms of Westeros, so that's still pretty fertile ground for tombs and carvings.

ZEZEWALK

Messenger
My initial take was that we could "kill two birds with one stone" but it looks like people prefer putting the knot style stuff in a new block. I can understand the motives behind that. I still honestly think our current "engraved" block could do with some work to mimic a proper geometrical carving, even if the geometry itself doesn't change.