dylanjg1118 Builder Application

dylanjg1118

Mummer

USA

I heard mention of the server online when I was browsing for a full Westeros map to build my own (smaller) version of what you all have done. Once I saw this, I felt like contributing here would be a much better use of my time!

Game of Thrones, Eragon

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords

All of the above

(MINOR SERIES SPOILER AHEAD)
Tyrion Lannister is my favorite character because he is smart, funny, and resilient. He has endured immense amounts of hardship throughout the series, being falsely accused of crimes and eventually sentenced to death for it, yet he still pushes on to survive and succeed all while maintaining a sense of humor (even if it's occasionally pretty dry).

Time. While not technically a skill, I have tons of time with which to build. Using this I could do large amounts of building or put lots of focus into one project. In addition to this, my ability to realistically replicate real-life objects in Minecraft is helpful too!

I would like to build on this server because I love to build castles and think it would be amazing to contribute to such a great project and work with such talented builders. The project is already so incredible and if I could help to make it even better it would be awesome. This recreation of George R. R. Martin's world is something so unique and I would like to help move it along in the process. (Plus, building is fun!)

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Exterminator,

Thanks for the application! Your house seems like a very good start, it's not currently up to server standards but I think we can get you there pretty quickly. I'll start out with some feedback on this one before giving a challenge build to work on:

- Contrast is very important in building. You (in most cases) never want to have darker blocks next to much lighter blocks, since it appears jarring and noisy. So for example, here you have birch wood used with spruce wood, which contrasts a lot. The following pairings of wood tend to work well: oak & birch, oak & jungle, jungle & spruce, jungle & northern, spruce & northern. Any other pairing I would avoid.

- The same applies for doing stone gradients. Here you have dark cobble touching the lighter cobblestone. In gradients, you want to do a smooth transition from darker blocks to lighter blocks (although keep in mind, for most houses you'll only be using a couple stone blocks anyways). I highly recommend you check out /warp gradient on our server.

- I would make the roof one block higher, the top floor (the daub & wattle part) seems a bit cramped right now.

- Don't make the daub & wattle one block lower in the corners of the house, keep the stone foundation and the daub & wattle part all on the same level.

- The interiors need a bit of work: first, try to divide larger houses into multiple rooms, rather than just having one large open space. Think of what purpose each room would have, like kitchen, sleeping, etc. Second, avoid pointless clutter, try to consider what an average medieval peasant would need and add realistic details. Filling empty space with random piles of crates is called "crate spam" and is to be avoided. Even in a warehouse, you would want stuff organized in shelves or something. I highly recommend you check out /warp furnish on our server as well.

- Minor point, but when you're stacking firewood keep all the pieces facing outwards. That's how firewood is stacked IRL to keep the pieces in place.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions on any of the above feedback. In general, I would take some time to study places like /warp kingslanding in a bit more detail, looking at individual house exteriors & interiors and trying to pick up techniques. Also make sure to see the two other warps I gave above.

Once you've done that, for a challenge build please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp sweetport. The middle-class are the ones with white daub&wattle and bedrock rooves. Good luck!

-Emote

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey dylanjg, are you still interested in continuing with this app? I'm going to reject it for inactivity if no response within 2 weeks.