Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
___Dracarys___

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Spain

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love the character's psychological depth, the moral spectrum and the worldbuilding George created. I find fascinating how well put together his world is.

What is your favorite build on our server?
My favorite build would be Highgarden. I love how they captured the image of the castle George wrote in the books, and how satisfiying it is compared to the show version. I also love the Sept of Baelor.

Why do you want to join our server?
I'd love to be able to partake in this huge passion project as a huge asoiaf fanatic myself. I see it as great a chance to learn and improve on my building.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/OpS5Mbf

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Dracarys! Nice work with the app house! I see no major issues with it. Just two vey minor things to point out:​
  • You may have noticed that some of the stone blocks are slightly darker, compared to the original house in our server. This is due to the biome where you built your house. Some of our blocks change depending on the biome where you build at. Keep it in mind when doing the rest of the challenges, it will impact the look of your build!​
  • You forgot to open the fence gates in the shelve above the bed area :p. When openned they attach to the wall and thus look like the support of the shelve.​
With this build we hope you catched some of the techniques and ways we have of building in the server. Now your task will be to build other houses in the style of different locations in the server, but this time instead of copying you will have to come up with a design of your own based on the characteristics of the area asked.

Your next challenge will be to build a house in the style of /warp Kerseyford, with a yard. Once you are done you can upload some screenshots here and I will evaluate them as soon as I can. Have fun!​

Reactions: Dracarys

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Dracarys! Nice start! I can see you have caught on the proportions and sizing of the houses at Kerseyford. Now I will give you some feedback:​
  • You forgot to add a chimney! Some houses, depeding the local style, don't have them, but in this case you should incorporate it. You need some short of fire to cook and keep the house warm.​
  • When doing stone or plaster walls don't place the blocks randomly, try to arrange them following a gradient. This is one of the key aspects of our building style. You will quickly realize and catch on it though, so don't worry. Below you have an an example similar to what you did. Notice how you jump from one block type to the next, avoiding having opposite blocks of the palette touching?​
2023-02-19_20.02.38.png
  • Minus some exceptions, you should match the wood of the rafters that sustain the jettying of the house (the bit of the top floor that protrudes out) with the wood of the daub and wattle. In this case it should be white wood, as if it was all whitewashed. Just like the house at the image below:​
2023-02-19_20.06.08.png
  • Instead of using jungle wood for the roof, which isn't present on Kerseyford, try going for dark northern wood or any other roof material that is used on the village.​
2023-02-19_20.07.39.png
  • Don't forget to add rafters inside, something needs to sustain the top floor! The most common way we have of representing them is alternating stairs and slabs in order to create the illusion of wood beams spaming across. They should always spam across the short side of the house. They are cheaper and more study that way.​
2023-02-19_20.14.30.png
2023-02-19_20.16.18.png
  • Although you can have a flat ceiling, when roofing the top floor of a house with a steep roofline, like yours, you generally want to make the wood beams that sustain the roof, like this picture (or the app house you made before).​
2023-02-19_20.22.15.png
  • A minor detail: turn the clothesline 90 degrees so it hangs across the short side. A rope so long and full of clothes may bend a little.​
  • In general houses at Kerseyford that have more than one story have some short of profession at the bottom floor, either dedicating all or part of it to said craft. I didn't specifically asked you to add a profession to your house, so that is partly my fault hahahaha​
This may seem like a lot, but it's all details that with time you will polish and do without thinking too much about them. Overall the base of your house is nice, just a bit simple. Kerseyford has a style that can be generally labelled as detailed. You will notice, for example, that most two story houses have gables or some short of roof detailing, something that catches your eye. For your next challenge go to /warp OAtown and build a house with a profession and a yard. Good luck and have fun!​

Dracarys

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
Alright. thank you for the feedback! I tried to keep it simple in hopes of not messing up too badly, as it's been a long time since I last built anything. I'll have all the tips in mind for the next house, and I'll get on it asap.

Reactions: Azulejo

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
No worries! Take the time you need to do any of the challenges I give you. The only one that has to respond within a certain time window is me. Also don't worry too much about feeling "rusty". You can also consider this (the application process) as a warm-up for getting back to building.​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Great house Dracarys! I can tell you incorporated many of the feedback I gave you. Nice job with the gradient too. I quite like the front façade, it looks very cute. Now, as usual, I will give you some feedback:​
  • When doing the rafters that sustain the jettying of a floor do what I've told you for the ceiling beams: alternate slabs and stairs. That way you will space out each rafter a little more and prevent having a thicker rafter in the middle where the two sides meet. Here slabs are blue and stairs red, so it's easier to see:​
2023-02-24_18.21.08.png
  • Turn the shop sign 90 degrees. They are meant to be seen when walking up and down the street, rather than when facing the building. Doing this will also align its supports with the rafters at the top, as if it was hanging from them.​
2023-02-24_19.05.10.png
  • I would add windows at the back of the house, withouth them it looks a bit weird. Keep in mind that, although your build is alone in the middle of a field, in reality this would be a townhouse. This means that 90% of the time it's going to have houses at both sides, making the front and the back the only areas from where light can enter the interior. For the same reason the window at the side could end up blocked, unless the build was at the end of a street.​
  • (This ties with the point I made above) It seems like you put the stair at the back wall, right? I would assume this is what prevented you from having a back window. There's nothing wrong with having the stair at that position, but for maximizing the usable space usually this type of houses have it parallel to one side wall. Alternatively you could have a spiral staircase.​
  • When doing yards try making them more square-ish rather than bubbly and irregular.
  • At said yard you can add some veggie patches as an additional source of food for the house inhabitants, it is quite common to see.​
2023-02-24_19.06.08.png
  • Also, add dirt slabs between each level of a road or, like this case, a sloped yard. Or have some wattle/half doors as retaining walls.​
  • I think the interiors are nicely furnished, albeit a little under detailed. With time you will get more confident and also learn more ways to add decor withouth overdoing it.​
Overall great job! You may have noticed that I like to go over every little detail, but on the big picture I think your build is quite nice and most of what I pointed out are minor things. Seeing that you did well here, for your next challenge I would like you to do a high class house that could fit on /warp Duskendale, with a profession and a yard. You can find many at the northern side of the city. Here you will be able to experiment with more complex interiors, since that's what you say you struggle with the most. Have fun and good luck!​

Dracarys

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
I did want to place a window at the back as I also thought it looked a little plain but I struggled with placing it because of the stairs position. Again, thank you so much for the feedback!

Reactions: Azulejo

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Thank you for the update! As I said before, don't worry about taking time to do the challenges, do it at the pace you want.​