Discussing spoilers in-game

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I think the blanket ban on discussing potential spoilers in-game is unnecessary. In fact it seems bizarre to me that a community comprised of fans as passionate about ASOIAF as we are is expressly forbidden from discussing it.

How many times have new visitors to the server asked a question relating to some of the more recent events in the series been told NO SPOILERS.

I can understand the no-spoilers rule while a new season of the show is on the air, since there are going to be guests and builders who haven't seen the latest episodes. But it's been months since the last episodes were released. Seven years since the last books were released. And we're talking about one of the most popular franchises on the planet, AND A COMMUNITY OF FANS CELEBRATING IT. The risk of somebody having something "spoiled" by visiting our server is frankly infinitesimally small.

Who is this rule supposed to benefit? Somebody who went to the trouble of finding the server, and installing the launcher but meanwhile hasn't gotten around to finishing the show (that's been off air for months) and yet cares about getting something spoiled? That would be like going to Harry Potter World and expecting nobody to mention how Book 4 ends. Or is this for the 1 or two purists who have read all the books but refuse to watch anything on the show passed ADWD.

The rule has a time and place, when the show goes back on air, sure, but right now it just make sense, and it would be really nice to openly talk about this series that we're all so attached to.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Just imagine the mayham if we enforce the rule at seemingly random intervals because new stuff is published.

I don't think it's that much to ask to be careful with spoilers because believe it or not, there are quite a few people on the server that go through all the effort you mentioned without having seen all of the show or having read all of the books. In most instances where someone does mention a spoiler without obvious malicious intent, they just get a light hearted warning.

And its not as if there is nowhere to discuss the show or books; we have the forums with dedicated pages for that, as well as private chat ingame and discord.

Reactions: Emoticone11

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Just imagine the mayham if we enforce the rule at seemingly random intervals because new stuff is published.

I think "mayhem" is exaggerating things a bit. All it would take is a sign or sign in message that says "No Season 8 spoilers". And otherwise this "new stuff getting published" currently happens about once a decade so I think that's enough time for people to catch up.

I don't think it's that much to ask to be careful with spoilers because believe it or not, there are quite a few people on the server that go through all the effort you mentioned without having seen all of the show or having read all of the books.

TBH I don't believe that. With a series this popular, I really have a hard time believing the amount of people you say is out there is sizeable enough to warrant this strict of a rule, and besides it again speaks to my point about the fact you shouldn't be going to Harry Potter World if you don't want to talk about Harry Potter.

In most instances where someone does mention a spoiler without obvious malicious intent, they just get a light hearted warning..

And even that "light warning" has been enough to produce a zero sum game where essentially nothing passed the first book can be discussed. "Hey, sorry no spoilers :)" is just as smothering to discussion as "NO SPOILERS".

And its not as if there is nowhere to discuss the show or books; we have the forums with dedicated pages for that, as well as private chat ingame and discord.

I think the grand total of two posts that have been made on the forum should illustrate how conducive it is to the quick organic discussion I'm talking about. The private in game chat is also not helpful when you want to talk to the group, or to new guests who aren't familiar with it.

Howy

Royal Messenger
1. Stoop's use of mayhem is obviously not implying our server would break down, rather the issues that would unfurl. Intervals seems silly, as they present issues where builders who might have gone away and come back suddenly find themselves breaking rules or questioning why others are breaking rules they once thought were in place. The rule needs to either exist consistently or not at all. Onto that...

2. There are a sizable population of guests we receive who have not finish the series or books (especially books). It doesn't surprise me when a guest says they've seen the show and just started the books, or vice versa. Unfortunately, whether or not you personally believe there are enough people out there to warrant this rule lends no weight to your argument as it is a subjective point (one I strongly disagree with). I think taking precautions to prevent spoiling the series or books fulfills our number one rule: Don't be a dick. I joined when I had read only the first four books and watched the first season - had the show been spoiled for me by an inconsiderate guest or builder without repercussions I would have thought of the server poorly.

3. A light hearted warning occurs because the mod team understands that sometimes people slip up in conversation, especially when trying to locate canon with regards to projects or if a guest wants to know the location of an area not featured until after season/book 1. Yes the 'discussion' is smothered - thats because we don't want anything further being spoiled. Normally as a mod if a guest slips up and asks about a certain location in, say, Winterfell, I'll remind them of the no spoilers rule and then PM them. I encourage builders to do the same.

4. That grand total of two posts illustrates that this is a new website with no transitional posts from the old website. The old website had a few hundred discussions, and these only generally occured during peak season/book periods. Our new website was first opened after the last season ended, and therefore nobody has really had anything to discuss content-wise. If you want to discuss the show in a live 'chat', I recommend our Discord and its appropriate subchats. You can not only send messages frequently as one would in our server chat, but also talk with voice chat.

In short, I don't care how small or large people perceive the risk of spoiling the show/books is. If one person passionate enough to download a custom launcher and come and view what we've made has the very basis for our server spoiled for them, then that is enough for me to be pretty pissed off. I had a fairly uninterrupted journey, maybe with the occasional show spoiler (but only ever from reddit or the like). Its not for us to step on the toes of others in their Westeros journey.

Yes season 1/book 1 can be spoiled but only because reason dictates that you would only be aware of GoT from having encountered one of those two. They are also both similar enough that one does not necessarily spoil the other but is a replica of it (unlike the more recent seasons). I am speaking personally, but I for one absolutely do not think that the rule should be changed. Accommodations have been made for discussion in various forms, and I recommend any who wish to discuss the show or books use those.

Last edited:

Enah

Skinchanger
Also, we HAVE signs at spawn which specifically state not to spoil. But, folks just barrel on past those most of the time.