dahgamer Builder Application

dahgamer

Mummer

United States

I searched for a map of Westeros and I found the website and proceeded to download the launcher.

LoTR

Game of Thrones

All of the above

This is a very hard decision. The manly man aspect of me wants to say Aegon Targaryen because of his prowess with a sword and rugged leadership skills. However; I would likely have to say Lord Varys has slowly become my favorite character within the show. He is intelligent, noble, and from the moment in Season 1 where he claims he is on the side of "the Realm", he has done everything within his power to stick with his moral compass. (In summary, Lord Varys for his integrity and intelligence.)

I am currently an structural architecture student at the University of Tennessee so I believe this gives me a very special look into the world of bringing this fantastic world to life.

There is a therapeutic aspect of building in the world of Minecraft that has appealed to me since I bought the game in 2010. Stumbling upon the world of ASoIaF has resparked my love of this game that we so often delve into for hours upon hours. Bringing Westeros to life is an incredible honor that I would be ecstatic to work for.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey dahgamer, thanks for your application. Always nice to have somebody with a background in architecture be interested in building with us!

I would recommend getting in game and having a look at some of our more recent builds to get an idea for how we build as a server, then using those to put together another application build that matches our style more closely, as your current house doesn't really fit any style of ours. Examples of good builds to visit would be White Harbor, King's Landing, Fairmarket, Stoney Sept, Uffering, Bandallon etc, and I'm sure that our friendly builders will be happy to direct you to some other examples.

Lastly, this guide is a good reference for the basics of building: https://westeroscraft.fandom.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants

Good luck!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey dahgamer, great improvement!

Things I like:
- The bottom floor interiors are really nicely done
- The house shape is pretty much perfect for White Harbor

Things that need improvement:
- The stone walls stacked on top of wooden floor here doesn't make much sense, better to keep it continuous or use wood for the walls on the upper floors
N79ToV4.png

- Paintings and scrolls are too expensive/fancy for a house like this, while rats as food in the kitchen is too poor
- The rafters are a bit weird. Ones like this are simpler and more logical
rdiaLEy.png

- The exterior design doesn't really fit the city with the layered spruce halfdoors. This house is a good example of what to aim for with the White Harbor style
n3muX6t.png

- The upper floor and attic interiors are a bit sparse and unimaginative

You've shown a huge improvement across the space of one day, and I have a good feeling that you'll continue to improve more and more. For your next challenge, I want you to go to /warp Bandallontown and build a house in that style using the daub and wattle blocks. My advice is to find 5 houses you like in Bandallon Town and take photos of them, then go into singleplayer and use them as a reference to make one of your own. Focus particularly on making logical patterned daub and wattle, creating logical, class-appropriate interiors (aim for low/middle class) and putting the house in the context of the environment with a veggie garden, weeds/vines and a road outside the house.

Good luck!

dahgamer

Mummer
The first couple pictures of the home's exterior were taken without the road and garden. The last pictures in the album contain the road and garden, as well as a few other details added after the exterior was complete.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Cheers for the prompt reply dahgamer, I can tell you're keen to get going!

Things I like:
- The exteriors of the main part of the house are great!
- The interiors are pretty good, especially the bottom floor

- The back end of the house. I don't really know what happened here, but the roof angle is far too low. As a rule of thumb, 22.5 degrees is about the lowest you would normally go (a halfslab down each time). The overhang is really excessive too - 1 block out from the house maximum
- Try cover the sides of cabinet/crafting table blocks not being used either with a half door or another block (example below)
vJ1LtfO.png

- Chimney is about 2-3 blocks too tall. I would consider making it 2 blocks wide if you're going to make it that tall, otherwise it looks silly
- You didn't end up doing rafters - these are what I mean, to hold up the roof rather than just having the full block side of the roof blocks showing through
N8xpo8l.png

For your next challenge, I'd like you to build a two storey house in the style of Silverhill. I want you to focus on making a nice compact walled yard with a clothesline, using vines and other vegetation to make the house seem realistic and keeping the interiors logical.

Best of luck!

dahgamer

Mummer
Hey codd,

Here's a Silverhill Tavern/Residence.

I have to say I'm not incredibly proud of the lack of creativity I had when it comes to the hallway leading to the bedrooms upstairs. The rest of the build feels like a real improvement. I made a note to include pictures of the rafters I added, as well as created a path in the style of Silverhill on the server in the front of the tavern. The garden was a struggle but I got some (I hope) good inspiration.

Side note:

I have to say that I didn't realize how much sound block bring builds to life.

Here's the imgur link:
Thanks!

Reactions: AerioOndos

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Great work on the Silverhill tavern!

Things I like:
- The bar area is simply outstanding
- Good house shape
- Solid interiors - you've come a hell of a long way here

- Exterior vines are too messy. Try use them in a way they might logically grow, rather than randomly scattered. Here is a good example
6m8Zjjr.png

- Rafters need improvement below the roof. Try something like this, where more of the slate is covered and you don't have that awkward full block leap beneath a half-slab roof
KHOvy8D.png

- Wheat wouldn't be an appropriate choice for a backyard veggie patch - cabbage, carrots, turnips, pumpkins and squash are better alternatives (examples at /warp crops)
- The staircase in the yard has way too many half-doors. A nice simple one like the one below (stolen from Fairmarket) is more appropriate
DerXZ6d.png

- Roof is too messy. None of the houses at Silverhill are actually like this - one house has two green slate blocks (meant to represent mossy tiles) and some houses have 1-2 patches of oak where tiles have come off. As a beginner, try to keep it simple rather than rushing into more advanced techniques like this - a full slate roof would have been acceptable

[Sidenote: you don't need to add soundblocks!]

Overall, I think you're just on the verge of reaching our standards, and I am sincerely impressed by how much you have improved over the course of the past 6 days. I would like you to make a house in the style of Fairmarket, focusing particularly on creating a great yard, making logical choices with vegetation and making really good rafters. Take your time to explore and find features (i.e. rafters, balconies, d&w patterns, fireplaces etc) among the houses that you particularly like and take screenshots of them, so you can incorporate them into your own house.

Don't feel rushed, you've got plenty of time to get it right and make something you can be proud of.

Good luck!

Last edited: