Castle Black Canon Problem

Ric

Ser
Staff member
So, I was re-reading the first book and I noticed that we have one thing wrong in Castle Black. According to Jon VI "They led their horses down a narrow tunnel cut through the ice, cold dark walls pressing in around them as the passage twisted and turned. Three times their way was blocked by iron bars, and they had to stop while Bowen Marsh drew out his keys and unlocked the massive chains that secured them." The problem is that the current tunnel has no iron bars inside it.

Also, I looked it up and in A Storm of Swords (Jon VIII) it is said that "Three iron gates closed the inner passage, each locked and chained and protected by a murder hole. The outer door was old oak, nine inches thick and studded with iron, not easy to break through." So, besides the gates, there's also the need to add murder holes above them, which I believe would need a hole new section being digged inside the Wall, and the portcullis on the northern side is not quite right it seems to me, according to this excerpt. I don't think it is necessary to redo the whole castle, but it is necessary to add those things if we are to follow canon.

Last edited: