BrownTheBuilder Builder Application

BrownTheBuilder

Mummer

United Kingdom

When I finished watching the last season of Game Of Thrones I felt a little empty because I had invested so much time into the series itself that I went online to see if there was a server where I could meet with people who shared the same passion of the series as I do, that's when I stumbled upon the website and joined the server.

Harry Potter, Stranger Things and the marvel universe are my top three but I have many other franchises that I follow.

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

My favourite character would have to be Arya Stark purely because of the way she evolves throughout the series, despite not having read the books yet in the TV show it was amazing to watch her grow up and still hold true to the majority of the values she had in the first season. Some of my favourite scenes in the whole show had her fighting someone who seemed much too overpowered for her to handle, the way that these scenes played out had her coming out victorious and I enjoyed following her arc immensely. However, my favourite character in terms of how their character development played out had to be Theon. Overall, there are too many brilliant characters to pick just one but Arya comes out on top for me in general.

My dedication to the franchise and my passion to see this amazing project become the best that it can be has to be some of my best traits. When I first got into the server I think I was blown away by the amount of time and effort had to have gone into every little detail of each of the iconic locations. I have helped on only a few projects that were like these and I found them to be immensely rewarding. To be completely honest I am not the most seasoned or experienced builder and probably never will be but I would love the opportunity to learn and develop my skills on a project that I am invested in.

This server has become an escape for me when I have been in dire need of a break from reality. A server that sparks this much joy when I can actually walk around the locations I know and love so well would be an absolute pleasure to contribute to. I believe that if I can get so much enjoyment from this server then many others can as well and I would like the opportunity to help make that happen. I have been told I am a very diligent person who sticks to a project once she has put her mind to it and the ability to build and create the world that I have spent so much time just watching through a screen would be incredible. There is something immensely satisfying about going through the trouble of making small details to structure that brings the bigger picture together when someone sees it for the first time and is wowed by the amount of commitment that must have gone into the build.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183176332@N05/

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi BrownTheBuilder,

Thanks for taking the time to apply to be a builder.

As it stands, your house wouldn't be of a standard expected on the server but I think there's potential there for you.

You appear to have explored a good range of our custom blocks, with some of them being used effectively, I thought that the shovel outside with what looks like shoveled snow was a nice touch too!

Some things to look at again when you come to do the challenge I'll set you below;

• The exterior is strange in that it appears to be two seperate houses on top of each other. The northern houses tend to be self contained, you can find some excellent examples at /warp burnley or in the houses currently being constructred at /warp ramsaysmill
  • You should use what we call a 'gradient' where the blocks in a house go from dark at the bottom to lighter at the top. You can get away without one more often on northern style builds, but it'll be important to learn for future builds.
  • "Fancy" drawers being used rather than the more rustic 'bench' drawers-- this kind of knowledge will come with time, but be sure to explore the FULL range of our custom blocks.
  • Multi-panelled blocks being exposed on more than one side-- so for our blocks like the drawers, the crafting tables etc. the texture is repeated on each face of the block. Be sure to cover the other side of this block with something so it doesn't look strange.
  • You made some furnishing choices that wouldn't be appropriate in reality. For example the floating 'crate' blocks. Try and think how you would furnish a medieval home in reality. Crates would be full of stuff and heavy, they wouldn't be attached to a wall. Don't feel the need to use every food block to hint at a kitchen area. One 'hanging' food block would be sufficient. The bed right next to an open staircase is strange too-- imagine that they'd roll out of bed and fall down the stairs.
  • Rafters-- we discourage flat ceilings, as they look vanilla. Be sure to explore some other houses to see how other builders make textured ceilings in their builds.

For your first challenge take a look around /warp Duskendale and build a low class house in that builds style. I would encourage you to really explore half a dozen or so houses and get a feel for the place before starting to build. You should consider things like the palette used, how people use the daub blocks etc.

Be sure to ask in game if you need any guidance, we're a friendly bunch.

Good luck!

Veg