Both me and a buddy having the same issue with the launcher.

JT!

Mummer
Installing Java 8 just shows 'extracting' for the both of us. Will not complete install.

CastorMercury

Mummer
The same here ! Even by deleting all java files already installed on my pc, the auto installation of java in your laucher show "Extracting..." and nothing happens after 2 hours.
I have enought ram and the java file dowloaded by the laucher is a 64bit. Running on window 7 64bit.

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
The launcher's java download is broken due to oracle's recent change to their licencing policy. They require a sign in now. I don't know when that will be amended in the launcher, if ever.

If it is stuck on extracting, you need to download it yourself from here. Make 100% sure you download jre 8.1.* 64bit.
Next, open the launcher, click the gear icon, go to 'Java' and make sure the Java Executable path points at wherever you just installed it. By default, windows installs it at C:\Program Files\Java\... It needs to point at a javaw.exe

JT!

Mummer
The launcher's java download is broken due to oracle's recent change to their licencing policy. They require a sign in now. I don't know when that will be amended in the launcher, if ever.

If it is stuck on extracting, you need to download it yourself from here. Make 100% sure you download jre 8.1.* 64bit.
Next, open the launcher, click the gear icon, go to 'Java' and make sure the Java Executable path points at wherever you just installed it. By default, windows installs it at C:\Program Files\Java\... It needs to point at a javaw.exe

Worked! Thanks!

Reactions: Iwan

CastorMercury

Mummer
I don't know what to say... I have installed Java offline 64bits manually form the link you've provided. In the gear icon then 'Java' the path to the executable is the right one 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_211\bin\javaw.exe', still the laucher can't found it -> 'Invalid Selection' it says.
I'll try other ways later.

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Did you simply copy that path into the field? Make sure the file actually exists where you're pointing at.

Yabbadidu

Mummer
Sorry to jump in, but I'm having the same issue; trying to point the launcher to minecraft's own runtime (1.8.0_51 64bit) but I'm having the 'Invalid Selection' bit as well...