Block use survey

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey guys,

I'm trying to understand our current block use but doing so on my own is a slow and unreliable process. Could I ask you to help me if you come across unique uses of our blocks by adding them to the table below?

DISCLAIMER:
I thrive on making WC look the absolute best while also being as accurate to canon and realism as possible. I've taken some wrong paths in the past. Trying to force a certain use of my creations to
a) maintain the freedom to rework my textures as my skills improved.
b) maintain the freedom to rework my textures as trends subsided and research and rational building became more important.
c) allow us to give certain blocks interactivity in an MMO-game.
d) make everything recognizable to the untrained eye by avoiding "misinterpretations".

This lead to contentious decisions such as region-specific blocks (Looking at you, Winterfell Granite) and all kinds of rules (Welcome our dear friends the dictated style guides). I've learned from my mistakes over the years though and I think the best approach now is to make either distinct textures OR textures that are highly modular on purpose. So rather than imposing rules, I want to seek out the community to identify all unique needs and then act on them by adding distinct blocks whenever a new "use case" is discovered.

So, to understand if this is possible at all with the hard block limit that we have in version 1.12 I'm starting this survey. Maybe there are some low hanging fruits that we can easily find, change, and fix in-game, but that would improve our looks, accuracy, canon-adherence immensely.

Further explanation of why this is interesting can be found here. And probably 10000 reasons why we should have done this a long time ago can be found in this thread!

Last edited: