Block Change Request: Wooden Mullion Windows

eag_inc

Poet
Request: Wooden Mullion Windows

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Instead of relying on cages and iron bars to simulate a medieval window, it would be nice to have a dedicated variant of the timber window texture that has extra posts in the middle. People have commented that the bars/cages don't work extraordinarily well as a window design due to the metallic texture.

The original timer window blocks are nice, but often they're too large and open to work well. Stylistically it would also clean up a lot of the designs around the map that have relied on cages or bars.

Will work on some designs next week or so, but meanwhile here is a rough idea:

1679990143881.png

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
Probably the most common window design in Europe.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• BW5R4161-RT-880px-North-Cray.png
    BW5R4161-RT-880px-North-Cray.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • detail-of-exterior-of-bayleaf-a-timber-framed-hall-house-dating-mainly-D9BBMR.jpg
    detail-of-exterior-of-bayleaf-a-timber-framed-hall-house-dating-mainly-D9BBMR.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.png
    image.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9
  • preview_prd_02_0304.jpg
    preview_prd_02_0304.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 10
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1679990060164.png
    1679990060164.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
Looks like it could be used it make a nice wooden cage block as opposed to the iron cages.
0640023-2.jpg

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
1699660254018.png
I made a super early draft but I need some guidance.
- Should the model be projected back so you can use the space behind the window? Caveat: You cannot place a shutter right in front of it anymore.
- Should the model work well horziontally to create elongated muillon windows, or should I try to make verticality work, by introducing CTM that removed the thick horizontal beam between two windows?
- Are there any specific blocks this needs to work with to aid with a specific build technique i.e. it needs to have the same thickness as half-doors, fences, walls?
- Could we make do with a single muillon per block or do we need to have multiple like in your suggetion? If we go with a single one, I can pull off little decorative arches in a vertical CTM more easily.
- Should we have translucent wax-paper (like in the pic above) or rather an open space or glass?
- I used this as a template, I need more in the context of a building to get a better understanding of it though. Ideally as close-up as the template I used.
- I need WesterosCraft examples of where these windows would be build. Feel free to come to my plot, go to the very top and place down a few example houses next to my little texture test area by the brick tower.

Give it a spin and let me know please!

Attachments

• TimberMuillonWindow.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 1