Block Change Request: Thatch gredients

JJLyric

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Request: Thatch gredients

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
In ardacraft there is a gradient on there thatch roofs, Light, medium and dark. And its not that big of a drastic colour change but enough to make it look like a neat gradient. I know we cant steal everything the have because of conquest but I feel like some thatch dominant settlements cough cobb can look a little boring with JUST The same coloured roofing. This build is what I made, Yeah its pretty simple.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
https://imgur.com/a/gJFG5fT
first three are the thatch some other ints I did but that does not matter.

Reactions: Tobi

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Well, this addition could be great, but... It will outdate all existing thatch roofs per se, as it is literally absolutely new principle, not something what can be added only in newer buildings, leaving older ones. And, giving how much buildings with thatch roofs are on the map...

Reactions: Tobi and AerioOndos

JJLyric

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah your right but it would be way more realistic and worth it right? Currently it’s as if the thatch was just placed and even then every thatch piece won’t be the exact same shade. Anyway this adds to the endless updates of this server witch to add all the gradients would take some time. If people are willing to gradient roofes for some extra style points then sure.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
maybe instead of adding a block there could be more variation of the light thatch texture?

JJLyric

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
ahh yeah true tbh. I dont really mind what we do its just i saw arda and it maid our thatch look very bland and samey. Would be a very extensive thing to update

F

FD001__

I think something that may be worth exploring is if the thatch could have certain pieces coming off it, like strands. This could work in contexts where the thatch is used like fur, because this could be explained as loose tufts. It would also add another degree of texture/depth to fur carpets, making interiors more immersive.

I think this could be interesting, but idk how it would work lol.

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
I propose adding more ctm variation to thatch blocks without making it look drastically too different. Also as FD001 suggested, new block models with tiny bits of straws poking out might look quite cool.

Reactions: Batelgause
F

FD001__

I propose adding more ctm variation to thatch blocks without making it look drastically too different. Also as FD001 suggested, new block models with tiny bits of straws poking out might look quite cool.
This could also be done in the same way that the terrain blocks' textures are randomly rotated to avoid monotonous patterns forming - you could keep the same textures as we have now, with only minor tweaks.

This would save having to suddenly tweak hundreds of projects such as Duskendale, Tortown, Hammerhal, etc that have been recently completed.