Block Change Request: Runic carvings

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Request: Runic carvings

Request Type: Unique Addition (specific to a build, region, or culture)

Describe the use of this block in said build, region, or culture. How is it unique? To the best of your knowledge how could it be used in a different context?
Both the First Men and early Andals made carvings in stone. It'd make sense to expand on the road markers and have both a 7 pointed star carving and a double headed axe for the carvings the Andals made after they first landed in Westeros. Lore states these are on the Fingers, though they might have been made elsewhere too.
The First Men wrote with runes on stone and in some cases on trees too (in the Stormlands). It'd be good to have a variants of a runic carving block to put on standing stones. Some describe settlement along the Honeywine in the Reach, the deeds of Mudd kings and generally they're found in FM barrows and ruins throughout the continent.
Also it'd be good to have some for making shields and other items connected to House Royce.
s-l1200.webp
turkey-mugia-province-milas-an-arched-roman-gate-originally-part-of-the-town-wall-reveals-a-carved-double-axe-labrys-on-the-keystone-which-2PJ49ME.jpg
723.jpg
1024px-S%C3%B6_165%2C_Grinda.JPG
IMG_9164.jpg
img_1476.jpg
main-qimg-1cf94f6ac8ddc76f520c0900b93e941f-lq

Types of evidence to support your request: Canon

Canonical Evidence
https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Runes

ZEZEWALK

Messenger
I did an oopsy and made a runic carving thread before posting on Disc.. will be merging with this one.

More uses:
  • We know Storm's End has runic spells carved into the foundations of the castle.
  • The Wall has similar spells carved into the stones at its base.
Some historical evidence:

Last edited:

ZEZEWALK

Messenger
Talked to Aeks on Discord - we're thinking a rune layer like road markers would be more versatile.

Code:
ᚹᛁᚾᛏᛖᚱ×ᚷᛖᚹᛁᚾᚾᛖᚾ×ᚳᛠᛚᛞᚹᛁᚾᛞ×ᚪᚱᛁᛋᚪᚾᛞ
ᚹÍᛞᛖᚾᛁᚾᛁᚻᚦᛖᛚᛘ×ᚻᛁᛚᛞ×ᛒᛚᛖᚢ×ᛋᛏᛖᚩᚱᚱᚪᚾ
ᛠᚷᚩᛒᛚᛇᚳ×ᛋᚹᛖᚠᚪᚾᚠ×ᚩᛚᛘᛖ×ᚠᛖᚩᚱᚻᛒᛠᛚᚢ
ᚦᛖᚩᛞᛒ×ᚪᛈᚠᛚÓᛞ×ᚢᚾ×ᛚᛁᚠᛁᛖᚾᛞᛖ×ᚻᚩᛚᛞᛖ

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Talked to Aeks on Discord - we're thinking a rune layer like road markers would be more versatile.

Code:
ᚹᛁᚾᛏᛖᚱ×ᚷᛖᚹᛁᚾᚾᛖᚾ×ᚳᛠᛚᛞᚹᛁᚾᛞ×ᚪᚱᛁᛋᚪᚾᛞ
ᚹÍᛞᛖᚾᛁᚾᛁᚻᚦᛖᛚᛘ×ᚻᛁᛚᛞ×ᛒᛚᛖᚢ×ᛋᛏᛖᚩᚱᚱᚪᚾ
ᛠᚷᚩᛒᛚᛇᚳ×ᛋᚹᛖᚠᚪᚾᚠ×ᚩᛚᛘᛖ×ᚠᛖᚩᚱᚻᛒᛠᛚᚢ
ᚦᛖᚩᛞᛒ×ᚪᛈᚠᛚÓᛞ×ᚢᚾ×ᛚᛁᚠᛁᛖᚾᛞᛖ×ᚻᚩᛚᛞᛖ
This would be the most feasible tbh

Ouroboronz

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
I would like to bump this! Especially the road marker block as a base (ideally could cycle through a set of runes).

Would really give first men ruins some character and will be important for runestone.

Reactions: Finn01

Finn01

Envoy
If we're going with Rune Marking block, here are some rune ideas from Futhark (which gets used in the FFG card game)

Fire (Wealth/Cattle/Money)
God (Aesir/Odin)
Sanctuary (Birth/Birch)
Winter (Hail)
Sun
Dawn (Day)
Protection (Elk)
Water (Lake/Ocean)
Hero (Tyr)
Earth
Thunder (Giant/Ogre/Thor)
I know that the runes shown on House Royce's sigil are proper runes (idk if they're Elder/Younger Futhark, not an expert obvs) but I don't think they correspond to any known meaning in the Old Tongue - as we don't have any idea of what that language is like. We see other depictions of runes in artwork like this one:

800px-Yulia_Startsev_warhornIII.png

I think it would be fine if we just use them willy-nilly in different textures without trying to place some sort of meaning to specific pieces of text. It might mean just nonsense in actual Futhark, but Westeros isn't our world and they probably have different meanings that are lost to everyone south of the Wall. Even most Wildlings do not speak the Old Tongue (another weird thing about ASoIaF) so I think this would add a deeper layer of mystery to runic inscriptions patterns.