Mid Block Change Request: Dornish Pepper Plant and Leaves

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Request: Dornish Pepper Plant and Leaves

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
I am requesting a set of blocks (leaves and plant) to depict dornish pepper plants as at the moment there is no good way to depict pepper plants.

I suggest both a leaf set and a plant so we can have properly bushy pepper plants *and* potted variants (potted chili peppers are a common thing for those in urban areas) but if possible I would also recommend a basket set as well with dornish chili peppers inside a basket for farms, markets and larders. Ideally they'd resemble the chilis in our chilli ristras.

If someone like Thamus_Knoward or CashBanks with talent for textures could draw up some dornish pepper plants it'd be much appreciated especially for Dornish projects <3

cultivar-Thai-chili-peppers-fruits.jpg

Types of evidence to support your request: Canon

Canonical Evidence
Per canon, Dornish peppers are described as fleshy and similar to Capsicum peppers and a common culinary addition in Dorne and parts of Essos
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"My fellow magisters have doubled the size of the city guard," Illyrio told them over platters of honey duck and orange snap peppers one night at the manse that had been Drogo's. The khal had joined his khalasar, his estate given over to Daenerys and her brother until the wedding." -A Game of Thrones - Daenerys II

"In the Queen's Ballroom they broke their fast on honeycakes baked with blackberries and nuts, gammon steaks, bacon, fingerfish crisped in breadcrumbs, autumn pears, and a Dornish dish of onions, cheese, and chopped eggs cooked up with fiery peppers." -A Storm of Swords - Sansa IV

"A short man stood in an arched doorway grilling chunks of snake over a brazier, turning them with wooden tongs as they crisped. The pungent smell of his sauces brought tears to the knight's eyes. The best snake sauce had a drop of venom in it, he had heard, along with mustard seeds and dragon peppers." -A Feast for Crows - The Soiled Knight

"She expected him that day, but when the door finally opened it proved to be only the servants with her midday meal. "When might I see my father?" she asked, but none of them would answer. The kid had been roasted with lemon and honey. With it were grape leaves stuffed with a mélange of raisins, onions, mushrooms, and fiery dragon peppers. " -A Feast for Crows - The Princess In The Tower

"If she desired some favorite food, figs or olives or peppers stuffed with cheese, she need only tell Belandra, and it would appear. " -A Feast for Crows - The Princess In The Tower

"Two days from now, the cog Selaesori Qhoran will set sail for Qarth by way of New Ghis, carrying tin and iron, bales of wool and lace, fifty Myrish carpets, a corpse pickled in brine, twenty jars of dragon peppers, and a red priest. Be on her when she sails." -A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion VII

"The soup was made with eggs and lemons, the long green peppers stuffed with cheese and onions. There were lamprey pies, capons glazed with honey, a whiskerfish from the bottom of the Greenblood that was so big it took four serving men to carry it to table. After that came a savory snake stew, chunks of seven different sorts of snake slow-simmered with dragon peppers and blood oranges and a dash of venom to give it a good bite. The stew was fiery hot, Hotah knew, though he tasted none of it. Sherbet followed, to cool the tongue. For the sweet, each guest was served a skull of spun sugar. When the crust was broken, they found sweet custard inside and bits of plum and cherry.

Last edited by a moderator:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Just to add my two cents,

I think that 'Dornish peppers' actually includes both Capsicum and chilli, so that the stuffed peppers are like actual stuffed capsicums while snap peppers and dragon peppers are more like IRL chilli.
Might be too much to ask for both a capsicum sized one and a chilli one though

Reactions: Finn01

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Just to add my two cents,

I think that 'Dornish peppers' actually includes both Capsicum and chilli, so that the stuffed peppers are like actual stuffed capsicums while snap peppers and dragon peppers are more like IRL chilli.
Might be too much to ask for both a capsicum sized one and a chilli one though

IRL Chilies are Capsicum peppers, that's why every single chili pepper are labelled as Capsicum X (such as Capsicum annuum, Capsicum baccatum, Capsicum chinense) I specified capsicum because some people had this bizarre belief that Dornish peppers are in fact peppercorns.

The vast vast majority of peppers we know of are all cultivars of Capsicum annuum which encompass everything from bell peppers to serrano to jalapenos.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
It would be nice to add two variants, if possible. One of smaller, red peppers, which would represent the famous Dornish dragon peppers and would be used mainly as an spice, and another of bigger long green peppers, which wouldn't be as spicy and would be used mainly as a vegetable, as we can see in the quotes Marge has provided. The red peppers could be based on the ones we already have, the chili bundles.

4A95F77C-C1D3-46E0-9BBC-C9E3B827E8C6.jpegCF32982B-6B91-4786-93C5-4114ECE29890.jpegF5EDE74E-A23D-4C97-93FA-412DD39DD184.jpeg

Last edited:

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I think that just one would suffice, getting chuffed about the exact depiction of certain crops when one block would suffice is just arguing herb palletes so to speak

I also want to focus on getting *a* dornish pepper plant before overloading the block request with additional qualifiers

Last edited:

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Sure, but there's nothing wrong in asking. Besides asking for another variant is not really overloading, and the second type doesn't come from anywhere, we're talking about something mentioned. Textures makes will decide if they can take the work load or not.

If we have to choose I think everyone can agree the chili pepper is the one to go, since it's by far the the most iconic, and we already have a block represent it.​

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Thamus_Knoward

Make the green and red dornish peppers pls
I'm so sorry Margaery_Tyrell. My second child was born in October last year, and since then I've barely had enough energy to even push the start button of my PC. In the evenings, after tucking the first one in, I have little time left before the sweet release of sleep. I usually spent that on doing mindless things like watching the Mandalorian or carrying the second one, until it too passes out.

giphy.gif

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I'm so sorry Margaery_Tyrell. My second child was born in October last year, and since then I've barely had enough energy to even push the start button of my PC. In the evenings, after tucking the first one in, I have little time left before the sweet release of sleep. I usually spent that on doing mindless things like watching the Mandalorian or carrying the second one, until it too passes out.

giphy.gif
Smh youll be hearing from my lawyers