Mid Block Change Request: Common Reed

Gawain777

Street Preacher
Request: Common Reed

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
This is an extremely common waterway plant IRL, far moreso than cattails, and would generally help give a lot of life to waterways in many places on the server. Particularly the river which comes to mind is the greenblood, which wouldn't really get cattails at all. Currently the closest block to this is meadow fescue but it doesn't really resemble common reed at all, the heads are too small and it only stacks 2 tall - whereas IRL reeds can grow up to 5-6 m in heigh depending. Cattails =/= reeds.

IRL these plants are pretty much global in their distribution and arguably are the most important waterway plant that still needs adding, as you'll be able to use this for a variety things in addition to its main purpose as well.

Model-wise it'd probably be similar to the hemp model, though likely with some modification. Depending there could be 2 reed types added, one with the plumes and one without that's just leaves, or maybe break up the reed parts yo ucan place similar to the way hemp was designed. I'll attach several images showing what it looks like.

Types of evidence to support your request: Canon

Canonical Evidence
There is literally a house in the Neck named after this plant. Loras is described to be slender as a reed. The Womb of the World in Essos had reeds growing at its edge, rivers in the riverlands are described as being choked with reeds in AGOT's Tyrion's chapters, and additionally throughout descriptions of the riverlands in subsequent books. It's a really important canon plant which just doesn't exist right now - and cattails, which the server has used en mass, are not even described in the books once.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• reed5.jpg
    reed5.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 13
  • reed4.jpg
    reed4.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 14
  • reed3.jpg
    reed3.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 13
  • reed1.jpg
    reed1.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 13
  • reed6.jpg
    reed6.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 14

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Gawain777

I'm sold. I'll gladly try my hand at this one.

I'm thinking I could do this with three distinct blocks or one block with vertical CTM:
Bottom: The brown section just above the water line
Middle - repeatable: Green stem with lots of foliage
Top: Seed/ flower head

If I implement this as three separate blocks we can have the bottom block project downwards from placement into the water, and the builder gets the option of leaving out the top ~ to depict the plants before flowering, or the middle and the top ~ to depict the stems after harvest.

If we implement it as three separate blocks I could do an extra variant of the middle that's dried out and tan/brown to allow representing the plant in winter ~ just before the harvest.
I would like to go the extra mile and add a serrated sickle in the style of my 3D tools, and a block with directional placement representing bundles of reeds after harvest ~ ready for thatching!

I would only depict a dense cluster and not the single plant as this seems to be the most common.

Reedbeach_edit1.JPG