Block Change Request: Butterflies and Dragonfly Blocks

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Request: Butterflies and Dragonfly Blocks

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Hello I have an addition that would compliment our already existing bees and flies blocks to enhance our natural spaces: Butterflies and Dragonflies!

I have a total of 5 textures (4 species of butterflies, 1 for dragonflies) along with their recommended utilization. I'll start with the simplest: Dragonflies

Dragonflies would populate freshwater ecosystems such as streams, rivers, bogs and swamps. I based the dragonfly texture on the Four-spotted chaser
1024px-Four-spotted_chaser_dragonfly_%28Libellula_quadrimaculata%29_male.jpg
And here is the in-game result
8KAsTfi.png

For butterflies it is a bit more complicated, in order to feature speciation of butterflies I have developed 4 textures based on climate and region and divided their ranges as shown in this map

zb0QpzU.png

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the very south of Westeros, covering the dry regions of Dorne, Southern Reach and Southern Stormlands are these orange butterflies based on the African Queen Monarch. I choose this color to emulate the orange butterflies on the Mullendore sigil.

wmtvHqN.png

African_Monarch_%28Danaus_chrysippus%29_1.JPG

The second butterfly colored golden and yellow, straddles the western coasts of Westeros in The Reach and Westerlands up until reaching the Neck where its range ends. This is inspired by the Clouded Yellow Butterfly

60xUKM0.png
depositphotos_60059845-stock-photo-isolated-male-pale-clouded-yellow.jpg

In the central parts of Westeros, covering the temperate lowlands, this generalist species covers the Northern Reach, Riverlands, Westerlands, Riverlands, Crownlands, Stormlands and Southern Vale are based on the White Cabbage Butterfly, a common pest for farmers.

twI4eZH.png
Cabbage-white-butterfly-purple-flower.jpg

And finally the final butterfly makes its habitat in the cold and damp regions of the Northern Riverlands, Vale, Crackclaw Point, and Southern Regions of The North is a pale blue butterfly inspired by the Common Blue Butterfly

aQ94qm9.png
polyommatus-icarus2.jpg

0yfmKRv.png
The fourth butterfly colored crimson, straddles the eastern coasts and islands of Westeros from Eastern Dorne, The Stormlands and ending at the Northern Crownlands. They are loosely based on the Peacock Butterfly or Aglais Io

43571039081-peacock-aglais-io.jpg
Thank you for taking the time to read my block request! Below are the textures for the additions:

SVfaZOb.png
oiyRlWa.png
B5mcOC2.png
RDs6Hfy.png
0yfmKRv.png
kxZGB0Q.png

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
Butterflies and Dragonflies have existed in History and there is extensive proof of their existence.

Canonical Evidence
"a cloud of black-and-orange butterflies for the Mullendores." - A Clash of Kings Catelyn II

"Midges swarmed in the air, and a dragonfly floated over the stream, darting here and there. And the grass was moving when it had no cause to move." - A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys X

File(s) attached

Attachments

• Blue_Butterfly(Common_Blue).png
    Blue_Butterfly(Common_Blue).png
    2.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Dragonflies.png
    Dragonflies.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Orange_Butterfly(African_Monarch).png
    Orange_Butterfly(African_Monarch).png
    2.9 KB · Views: 25
  • White_Butterfly(Common_Cabbage_Butterfly).png
    White_Butterfly(Common_Cabbage_Butterfly).png
    2.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Yellow_Butterfly(Clouded Yellow).png
    Yellow_Butterfly(Clouded Yellow).png
    2.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Red_Butterfly(Peacock_Butterfly).png
    Red_Butterfly(Peacock_Butterfly).png
    2.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I really love the idea and designs himself very much and appreciate the efford you put into Marg
Tho the textures remind me on similar textures like in the Conquest Reforged Pack.
I know that sounds really fussy at first, but i suggest having them a tad more easier textured like our already existing flies and bees that it is possible to have them in close proximity to each other without having a strong textural contrast. Would also fit more to our "smooth style"

Another, definitly easier option would be to revamp the existing Bees and Flies textures to make them more fitting into the new made style of marg

Last edited:

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Poor Iron Islands, not deserving of any sort of cute critters.

Perhaps we can add moths and/or fireflies to this request, both of which can be used all over Westeros in a similar fashion to the blocks requested.

At best I can offer cockroaches for the Iron Islands

Another, definitly easier option would be to revamp the existing Bees and Flies textures to make them more fitting into the new made style of marg
They’re just recolors tbh, for our flies and bees however the only thing Id maybe add is more variations in order to fix how bee swarms and flies all seem to “fly” in unison

So long as we know that X is Y Bug we should be okay

I did once think about making a block request for ants, think like reddish-brown dots moving in 2 directions that acts like redstone dust blocks (it turns, connects and can stick to vertical surfaces in some instances) But I didnt think anyone would be interested in ants

It would be great if you could work with the bees and flies to improve them a bit and adapt them to the new textures.

Ants would be a great idea, Conquest has an “ant block” where the little things crawl through the earth. This means you can place another block such as grass, bones or plates directly above the ants.

I'm excited to see what you cook!

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey, if you're willing to break some unwritten rules, you could increase the resolution on the bees and flies textures and have (in comparison to the rest of the world) sub-pixel sized small insects/ swarms.

Reactions: Die Wursttheke

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I'm adding one more late addition to this request: red butterflies

0yfmKRv.png
The fourth butterfly colored crimson, straddles the eastern coasts and islands of Westeros from Eastern Dorne, The Stormlands and ending at the Northern Crownlands. They are loosely based on the Peacock Butterfly or Aglais Io

43571039081-peacock-aglais-io.jpg

And for reference this is the updated species range for each of the butterflies:

zb0QpzU.png

Attachments

• Red_Butterfly(Peacock_Butterfly).png
    Red_Butterfly(Peacock_Butterfly).png
    2.9 KB · Views: 3