Block Change Request: Black sand

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Request: Black sand

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Can we add a black sand version? For volcanic places.

Right now, I'm considering it for Horseshoe rocks (which, considering the name, are probably from volcanic origin), but it would probably be useful for other volcanic islands/places, especially like Dragonstone, Skagos, Bear island.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
Lots of examples of black sand beaches around the world

Last edited:

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
3C7BAF65-932F-4CFA-B76F-B8FD353DC464.jpeg
Volcanic sand doesn't always have to be black, depending on the lava composition of each volcano many colours can appear. That's why I think it would be better to incorporate some more tones on top of just black, like red-maroon, or brownish rust. Taking some of our pebbles as a base could be handy, as most volcanic beaches are quite new in geological terms, and many have pebbles rather than fine sand. Being able to blend sand and pebbles would be useful to represent this.

For this tone of sand using Stormlands pebbles and terrainsets as a base I think would be ideal.​

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
View attachment 16766
Volcanic sand doesn't always have to be black, depending on the lava composition of each volcano many colours can appear. That's why I think it would be better to incorporate some more tones on top of just black, like red-maroon, or brownish rust. Taking some of our pebbles as a base could be handy, as most volcanic beaches are quite new in geological terms, and many have pebbles rather than fine sand. Being able to blend sand and pebbles would be useful to represent this.

For this tone of sand using Stormlands pebbles and terrainsets as a base I think would be ideal.​
For cooler environments the volcanic pebbles can have a blue hue to it. I would hate for Skagos or even Hardhome (which some lore/theories point towards an eruption) to have a reddish brown hue against the blue tones of the region.

I hate to say it but could both be added? A reddish-brown to fit regions with a warmer color palette and blue to fit a cooler one? They could be biome dependent...
Here's Iceland's volcanic beaches.

reynisfjara-reynisdrangar-070613-mg-8741.jpg

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Obviously have no opposition from admin both/more varieties of sand.
And there are certainly not only black sand beaches made from volcanoes and other hues around red/brown-ish colors. Though I could argue that these can be more easily represented with our current pebbles when the black sand can't (the northern pebbles is the darkest and it doesn't look like black sand from volcanic stones). But more is better!

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Request: Black sand

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Can we add a black sand version? For volcanic places.

Right now, I'm considering it for Horseshoe rocks (which, considering the name, are probably from volcanic origin), but it would probably be useful for other volcanic islands/places, especially like Dragonstone, Skagos, Bear island.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
Lots of examples of black sand beaches around the world
Molokini might be good inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molokini