Block Change Request: Beetroot Crops

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Request: Beetroot Crops

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
I believe that beet roots would be a welcome addition as a crop in our server, especially for colder and rainer regions like The North, Riverlands and Stormlands.

It could either involve retexturing the current vanilla beetroot block or adding in a new set of blocks. Either is fine but I think adding beetroot would be a good idea.

I even have textures ready for them

KRrWlf8.png
DIu434x.png
MhjB1TV.png
M15tP4n.png

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
Beets were domesticated in the ancient Middle East, primarily for their greens, and were grown by the Ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. By the Roman era, it is thought that they were cultivated for their roots as well. From the Middle Ages, beetroot was used as a treatment for a variety of conditions, especially illnesses relating to digestion and the blood. Bartolomeo Platina recommended taking beetroot with garlic to nullify the effects of "garlic-breath".

Beets are a common food ingredient in Northern and Eastern European cuisine.

Canonical Evidence
"There was black bread and honeycakes and oaten biscuits; there were turnips and pease and beets, beans and squash and huge red onions; there were baked apples and berry tarts and pears poached in strongwine." - A Clash of Kings - Bran III

"He sent sweets to Hodor and Old Nan as well, for no reason but he loved them. Ser Rodrik reminded him to send something to his foster brothers, so he sent Little Walder some boiled beets and Big Walder the buttered turnips." -A Clash of Kings - Bran III

"The wedding feast began with a thin leek soup, followed by a salad of green beans, onions, and beets, river pike poached in almond milk, mounds of mashed turnips that were cold before they reached the table, jellied calves' brains, and a leche of stringy beef. It was poor fare to set before a king, and the calves' brains turned Catelyn's stomach." - A Storm of Swords - Catelyn VII

"They ate a simple supper of beets and bread and bloody beef with a flagon of Dornish red to wash it all down. Ser Kevan said little and scarce touched his wine cup. He broods too much, she decided. He needs to be put to work to get beyond his grief." - A Feast for Crows - Cersei II

"Tommen ran along, but before he left he turned back to say, "When I'm king in my own right, I'm going to outlaw beets." - A Feast for Crows - Cersei V

File(s) attached

Attachments

• beetroots_stage0.png
    beetroots_stage0.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 11
  • beetroots_stage1.png
    beetroots_stage1.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 5
  • beetroots_stage2.png
    beetroots_stage2.png
    15 KB · Views: 12
  • beetroots_stage3.png
    beetroots_stage3.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm all for it, and great that you provided the textures too! They look lovely! I think though that the texture is a bit too bright and too saturated. If you reduced that a little it would not stand out as much as against the rest of our natural blocks, I reckon.