BalrogSlayer2 Builder Application

BalrogSlayer2

Mummer

United States

i first heard about it from Bdouble0 in that one video a long time ago, and multiple times in articles all around and of course reddit.

Lord of the rings and The Way of Kings novels

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings

All of the above

The Mountain, Just because he is a hulking brute who shatters the "Gentle Giant" stereotype. I am a very tall person myself, and just the fact that a person his size in medieval times would be extra scary.

I excell at building houses in the countryside or huge manors that are by themselves or near towns/villages. I iam pretty good with terrain (I think) and Im decent at buidling in a city. I like to think im good at building castles, but you guys shattered that pipedream :D. Interiors are not my favorite thing, but they are necessary so i do them.

I have aslways been a huge fan of minecraft, i first got the game back in 2010 when the beta came out. The game is a fun and relaxing way to express yourself. Building has always been my thing, survival is fun every once and awhile, but I only play to build cool stuff. another reason is that I LOVE FANTASY. Its my favorite genre, I have read or listened to countless fantasy novels and watched countless shows and documentaries on medieval living. The fact that you guys are cobining two of my favorite things (Minecraft and GoT) is awesome, and I want to be apoart of it. i always wanted to apply to here but my life has not allowed me to commit to something like that up until now. I am in the Air Force so i might be shipped to places and unable to play for long periods, but I am mostly free.

You Know Nothing Jon Snow

Approved by Emotione11 on May 7, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Endymion

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Balrog, thank you very much for the application!

You seem to have already gotten a lot of practice with our building style, and your stuff is very close to up-to-standards. With this in mind, this app should hopefully go pretty quickly, as I can start with the pickier (but nonetheless important, so make sure to read all of it!) feedback. It might seem a bit on the long side, but it's mostly just because you posted four houses here. Overall you did quite well! Anyways, here we go:

House 1
  • Don't mix the pink reach brick with the normal small light stone brick (in the garden wall and house foundation). It just seems a bit messy. Typically gradients are done using light-dark variations, but generally not different hues. Use one hue or the other depending on which region you're in.
  • Generally you want to avoid having "blobby" walls for gardens or fields. It just doesn't look very good stylistically, as it again seems "messy" when juxtaposed with the clear shape of the house. Try to make your garden/field walls rectangular shapes as much as possible (these can be angled though- except for 45 degrees which looks awful in minecraft).
  • The roof looks a little odd the way it's "cut off" at the top; I can see what you're going for but I might just try to give it a normal peak on top. Also, for the two side buildings the roof seems very bulky, I might try out doing a different type of roof instead. For instance a diagonal slant/"shed" type roof going out perpendicular to the main building walls. Just something to experiment with.
House 2
  • Not a bad house in the White Harbor style at all. I would make the roof about 1 or 2 blocks higher, just because the front facade seems cramped, or "cut off", by the roof.
  • Gradient could be a tiny bit smoother. It's not a huge issue, but I'd take a look at /warp gradient.
  • The chimney on the exterior is a little strange (how wide it is, also lack of stone gradient). Not a huge issue if it's covered by another house but if it's exposed you want to fix that up.
  • The amount of gables in the back of the house seems a bit too much in my opinion. Try to look a bit more into roof shapes (both on the server and IRL) and see if you can come up with something that fits better for the layout of that part.
  • Never put candles on walls, as it doesn't make sense- the candle would just fall off when it gets warm, and would drop wax all over the bed no less. Candles should be placed vertically on tables or on wall/fence blocks (candle stands).
  • Avoid using cabinets/workbenches with more than one side exposed (right side of this image), it doesn't make sense to have drawers on two sides.
  • Very minor thing, but put a slab or something on the underside of the stairs here so it doesn't look like they're barely touching.
  • The lanterns here are a bit redundant- stick to one in a room (or possibly the entire house, since they would just carry it around if they happened to be awake during the night).
House 3
  • Again, a pretty good King's Landing house, would mostly fit right in. Only issue I can find with the exteriors is that here, you should just make the wall blocks go all the way to the ground, rather than having them on stone blocks.
  • A couple of the interior issues carry over from the previous house: candles on walls and covering the sides of cabinet blocks.
  • Don't use bookshelf or paper blocks except in the very wealthiest houses. Remember that, in our setting, less than 1% of the population would be educated. In the IRL medieval period, even many nobility would not be literate- this is why they had house seals which they used for approving contracts. All that being said, a random middle-class house wouldn't have a study upstairs.
  • This could be a matter of personal taste, but I would suggest not using full log blocks at all in houses- not even for interior supports. Thin logs (i.e. wall block) are okay if necessary. Otherwise, just try to lay out good floorplans and plan supports/rafters/etc. ahead of time.
House 4
  • This house has more issues than the other three, though I feel like (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm looking at these houses in the opposite order you built them in. So I'll be more broad with my feedback on this one.
  • The roof is oddly U-shaped, and just kind of top-heavy in general. Try to just make the roof straight, either 45 degrees (stair blocks) or 60 degrees (block-stair-block-stair pattern). Take a look at /warp woodwright or /warp whitegrove for examples in this style.
  • The other exterior features are a bit too messy as well, for instance the stair-block indents in the house and the vines.
  • Same interior feedback as above generally applies here.
  • Try not to use oak and spruce wood right next to each other, they contrast too much. Oak & jungle or spruce & jungle is okay, as is oak & birch.
  • Don't use vanilla piston here- use the custom piston extension block instead.

Overall, great work so far! Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about the above feedback. Otherwise, when you feel ready, for a challenge build please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp ghosthill. When looking there, just be aware that some of it (mostly the interiors) could have some slightly outdated things, so try your best to notice those and adjust them to current standards. Good luck!

-Emote

BalrogSlayer2

Mummer
Alright im on it! and thanks for the fast response!
And yes the last house in the post was the first one I did, and I really didnt spend too much time on it. The others i put more thought into and really put my head down to build.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Balrog,

Excellent work, you've nailed the Ghost Hill style! Updated interiors look pretty nice as well. Just a tip, for normal wooden ladders it looks better if you place them all the way to the ground (like here).

For a tentative final challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Keep in mind that the style here is a bit more complicated, but I think you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

Reactions: _Simbaa

_Simbaa

Printmaker
After Balrog gets approved I would like to volunteer at becoming his probation leader, I already have gotten to know him on the server abit and helped him few times.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Balrog, awesome work on this house! I'm not really seeing anything that I'd criticize or do differently except for maybe a couple very tiny things. So consider yourself approved! Ask a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder if it doesn't do so automatically.

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader will post on your thread and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses until the end of the month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D