Arttyk Builder Application

Arttyk

Mummer

Australia

Apologies but I honestly can't remember. It was a long long time ago. Maybe when Bdubs first talked about the server but I think earlier.

Lord of the Rings? My interest is with the semi-realistic architecture and world creation rather than the fantasy elements. So I like period shows that show early 20th Century (and earlier) buildings.

Game of Thrones

All of the above

Note: regarding "Which books have you read?" question above. I haven't finished it the first book but have started. Having trouble not reading each character as if they were the movie version. Need to try and forget the movie version and "imagine" by myself.

As for this question. I find the practical selfishness of Bronn hilarious, the dedication of Jorah admirable, and I appreciate the book learnin' of Samwell. I think I like Samwell the most. I'd much rather be studying than fighting.

I build rather fast (internals notwithstanding) if I have the time and motivation and can smash out a lot in a short period of time. I do probably burn out quicker because of it. I'm pretty happy with my external build skills (my internal ones probably need work as I don't do internal stuff in my own builds).

I've worked on "my own" personal resource pack that contains *some* of my own textures as well as modifications (to 16x16) of the Westeroscraft textures and some others (completely private never shared). I've been using these to create mini-westeroscraft cities in vanilla on my own server. In this server I've straight up copies westeroscraft builds (to learn) and made my own. I've been applying techniques that I have observed on westeroscraft. I've been doing this over 2-3 years I think. So while I don't have much experience with the tools of westeroscraft itself I do have some experience with the pallets and techniques and style (I have included some screenshots from my world in vanilla Minecraft in addition to the westeroscraft application build).

Because building for myself and only myself can get stale. Builds for the server, even small contributions, I feel have a purpose. I really like the scale of westeroscraft. a 3x4 block internal space might be tiny IRL but it feels rather normal in game and the larger "to scale" builds (i.e. 1 block equals 1 IRL metre) feel gigantic in game. I also love the variety of the building styles from Islamic inspired architecture to southern France, to northern France, to Italy, to German, and even some east of Germany etc.

This was my first attempt at using the Westeroscraft Launcher. I still don’t know what some command based-build tools might be and I’m not intimately familiar with all the blocks available (especially connected textures). This is also my first time making interiors so go easy on me!

Also note I’ve been using my “ArcticWind7” account to log into the server not this Arttyk account.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Apr 28, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GrayJedi and otty

Arttyk

Mummer
I noticed that many of the applicants are asked to do a Whiteharbour building. I also noticed the probationary builders have built some northern huts (sorry, don't know the specific terms) and that the application calls for "One small-scale" house and my inn might be too large so I went ahead and did two builds that would cover those:

Whiteharbour:
Northern:
I know the application was yesterday so I'm not badgering the mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: AerioOndos

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Arttyk,

Thank you for the application! It seems like you have a really good head start on our building style already, so I think we can jump right into the nitty-gritty details. All of your houses are quite good, I can't see any glaring issues in any of them. So here's some feedback:

Inn

- For the inn, my main concern for the exteriors would be the amount of log blocks used; in our more recent builds we tend to avoid log blocks in houses because they tend to look "clunky". This includes the exterior pillars on your house, but also the ones used in the stable. I would try to take a look at some more recent designs for these on our server.

- Very minor point about the daub & wattle (perhaps just a personal pet peeve of mine), but try to avoid having horizontal rows of the daub & wattle block with no crossbeams (you have a 3-wide row of it near the center of the front facade).

- Don't use paintings in houses unless the house belongs to somebody wealthy or a special purpose like a guild hall. Since paintings then couldn't be copied easily, they were considered a highly luxury item.

- Try to avoid using carpets like this, it's fine just having wood floors in this case rather than messy floors. Generally, carpets should just be used in larger continuous patches, when you have an area in the center of a room which could use a rug or rushes.

White Harbor

- Not really seeing any large concerns here at all. To be nitpicky though, I would try to work a little bit more on laying out larger rooms such as the kitchen- it's tempting to do the "make your way around the walls adding detail" approach, but instead of doing this I would try to do an approach of plotting "features" in a way which feels immersive and nuanced, and then add whatever detail you feel you need. Hopefully I'm making sense here.

- Make sure to cover all sides of workbench/cabinet blocks except for one (there's one here that has two sides showing).

Northern House

- Again, nothing major here. My only thing would be to again cut down on the log blocks used in the interiors, and try to find an alternative. Also, mixing spruce wood in with the northern wood in the roof isn't really necessary- usually it's used in larger patches to indicate decaying sections of the roof, but in small patches like in your house I would just avoid it, lest it seem too messy.

This all might seem like a lot, but mostly it's just because you built 3 houses and I'm being picky. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about it. Overall, excellent application! For a challenge build, I'd like to see a house in the style of /warp fairmarket. This style is a bit more complicated than some of the other ones, so be wary, but I'm sure you'll do just fine. Good luck!

- Emote

Arttyk

Mummer
Hi Emot!

Didn't seem like a lot, I appreciate the pickiness!

I do understand what you mean by "make your way around the walls adding detail". Do you have any tips on trying to avoid this? What sort of things go in the middle of a room apart from tables (which might not fit well)?

In hindsight I agree with the logs. Personally I think they look find below the veranda but too much below the overhang of the building. The Stable could do with some cleaning up.

Regarding the blocks in the Northern house I used those clunky logs (and the spruce wood in the roof) because that's what a guide that I saw for an area said to do with the inside (and showed being done with the roof). This might be an old guide?

I've finished my Fairmarket build and I chose a Mercer as a profession:

Couple of notes:
  • The idea is that there are buildings either side so that's why the walls are so plain and why the mirror is on the outside.
  • Lavatory in a bedroom might not be the best idea?
  • After uploading I realised I shouldn't have made all the bedrooms double beds. Would change that in retrospect.
  • Brick and cobble at edge of garden is some imaginary other house that borders the garden somehow.
  • The floors are higgledy piggledy. Is this OK? It doesn't feel bad in the house IMO.
  • I've provided a side view with a wall missing to more easily understand the room layout.
  • I don't know how to get the Fancy Red Carpet (golden rail to have two of side-by-side angled upward.
  • How do you get the Fancy Red Carpet to be blue!?

Thanks!
Arttyk

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Arttyk,

Lovely work with this house, everything looks great! And the room organization looks much nicer this time around. The only feedback I have is two extremely minor things- 1) Try to avoid using trapdoor blocks as shelves, since guests can come and toggle them so it's not ideal. In most cases you can use wood carpets as shelves. 2) Avoid having the top of daub & wattle blocks showing up through the floor, like here in the back. Try to cover it with wood carpets or other furniture. The same applies to stone showing up in a wood floor as well.

Anyways, regarding your questions:

I do understand what you mean by "make your way around the walls adding detail". Do you have any tips on trying to avoid this? What sort of things go in the middle of a room apart from tables (which might not fit well)?

I wouldn't think of it so much as that every room strictly needs something in the middle as well. I guess what I'm getting at here is looking at interior planning through the lens of realism moreso than space-filling. I understand this is sort of vague though, but my tip for doing this would be to plan "abstractly" as much as possible (using wool for instance) before adding any sort of particular details. This lets you create interesting room layouts without getting too bogged down in detail just yet.

Or, another way I look at it, if you do your best to come up with interesting interior layouts ahead of time (as opposed to a "basic" large rectangular room) it'll save you a lot of trouble later when putting specific furniture in. It'll help those details fall right into place once you get to that point.

But again, you seemed to do much better on it this time around.

In hindsight I agree with the logs. Personally I think they look find below the veranda but too much below the overhang of the building. The Stable could do with some cleaning up.

Yeah, I do really like the logs supporting the porch, and those ones also make sense realistically as supports. Those ones are fine.

Regarding the blocks in the Northern house I used those clunky logs (and the spruce wood in the roof) because that's what a guide that I saw for an area said to do with the inside (and showed being done with the roof). This might be an old guide?

Can't say since I don't recognize the guide, but it very likely is an old guide, as much of the North is pretty old. Always try to adapt to "new" styles, as long as those styles can be generalized (for instance avoiding messy block use).

I would also look towards Winterfell town (wintertown) for a much more recent Northern style.

Lavatory in a bedroom might not be the best idea?

Typically they would have a chamber pot under their bed which they would empty into the street after use. I'm not sure full-stall toilets in houses were historically accurate, though you can do research and make sure if you want. In any case, most people just go with a single lavatory in a house, typically on the first floor with a door underneath the stairs.

The floors are higgledy piggledy. Is this OK? It doesn't feel bad in the house IMO.

Not sure what you mean by this? In the stone floors I'd get rid of one of the blocks, so you only have two stormlands stone blocks in the mix, but other than that it's fine.

• I don't know how to get the Fancy Red Carpet (golden rail to have two of side-by-side angled upward.
  • How do you get the Fancy Red Carpet to be blue!?

To get the fancy red carpets at angles you basically have to mess around with placing blocks, putting carpet/rail on top of the block so that it makes an angle, removing the block from under it, etc. It's a vanilla block though, so it might require WorldEdit (which Editors & mods on the server have) to get some arrangements.

To make it blue, since that block is still the vanilla gold rail, it's a bit ugly... you have to put a redstone torch underneath it somewhere. I would recommend just avoiding this though. It's possible that these blocks may be ported to custom blocks in the future.

Anyways, I'm going to give one more final challenge- shouldn't be too difficult, but please make a house in the style of /warp ghosthill. Try your best to notice any outdated things (applies more to the interiors than exteriors) and adjust them accordingly. Good luck!

Arttyk

Mummer
By higgledy piggledy I mean that the bedroom above the sales area is not the same hight as any of the other room. That is that there's almost a gaunt floor, first floor, 1.5 floor, and the second floor.

I was wondering about using trapdoor blocks as shelves. They look nice IMO but the fact that that move never sat well with me.

I'm aware that the top being visible of daub and wattle should be avoided but I really wanted a button as a spool. Maybe not a good enough reason but that's the compromise I went with (just to explain my reasoning).

Here's the ghost hill build:

• I've greatly reduced the amount of vivid sandstone. I felt it looked a little bulky in the town to me.
  • The ocean is behind the camera from where the first two pictures are taken so there is more waring on this side
  • Used thin logs instead of normal logs - tried using upside-down stairs but I didn't like it.
  • The quartz might be a little ornate but I wanted something bellow the vivid sandstone railings that "ended" the plaster.
  • I like putting tables against a wall because it looks like the table and chairs would fit but it would look cluttered if they were set up ready to eat.
  • I've tried to keep this a little more sparse with interior decorations than previous builds and less lighting.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Great work as always! Here's some quick feedback & thoughts on your points/questions:

By higgledy piggledy I mean that the bedroom above the sales area is not the same hight as any of the other room. That is that there's almost a gaunt floor, first floor, 1.5 floor, and the second floor.

Yup, this is a-ok, as long as the supports make sense.

I've greatly reduced the amount of vivid sandstone. I felt it looked a little bulky in the town to me.

I appreciate the initiative, the vivid sandstone is a little bulky in the original. In some parts though it now just looks a little strange having the single row of vivid sandstone beneath the roof. I'd perhaps just remove the vivid sandstone entirely on the part of the house with the roof, and keep it for the open-top parts of the houses.

The quartz might be a little ornate but I wanted something bellow the vivid sandstone railings that "ended" the plaster.

IMO I would keep it for the uppermost level but remove it on the lower one. It's not a huge deal either way though.

I like putting tables against a wall because it looks like the table and chairs would fit but it would look cluttered if they were set up ready to eat.

You might want to look into table designs with the chairs pushed under the table. I think there's something like this in /warp furnish, but basically the idea is putting two stacked half door blocks right up against the table every other space, with full wood blocks at the base of the half doors and slabs for the rest of the table. Or alternatively trying something with wood carpets for the tabletop and putting slabs under the table for the chairs. It's probably hard to follow without images though, so I'd just ask around in-game for designs.

A couple other minor things:
- There seem to be a couple instances of the brown-veined marble blocks in your walls, like here. I'm assuming that's just a mistake?

- For the awnings outside, I would use log/wood fences as supports rather than stone, since it doesn't make much sense to mortar a bunch of brick just to hold a piece of cloth.

- Try to make more complete rafters for slate rooves, since unlike thatch slate tiles are smaller & heavier, so it would need more supports to hold it up.

Other than those things though, you've done excellent work, so consider yourself approved! Ask a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder if it doesn't do so automatically.

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader will post on your thread and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses until the end of the month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D