Antony Builder Application

Antony

Printmaker
I am 16 years old

I am from Greece

I firstly learned about the server from the WesterosCraft channel on youtube, and especially from the WesterosCraft walks videos hosted by Dutchguard and Kobe, where I was really fascinated by the style of the builds and generally the server itself

I have read almost all the books that comprise the Tolkien legendarium.

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings

All of the above

My favourite ASOIAF character is King Stannis Baratheon. I also have to point out that I mainly favour him because of his character, and also because of his keen military mind and experience that makes him one the most capable commanders in Westeros, but I disagree with certain actions of his like burning his bannermen at the steak, and his daughter also in season 6 in the show which destroyed the image I had of a loving father for him, and also because I do not like the fact that he brought the red woman in his halls.

But hopefully the advantages are more than the drawbacks of his grace's character, even if the drawbacks are very serious and just bad, as burning a man, who is related to you even by marriage so as to get favourable winds is very extreme and bad, but I really think that Stannis is not to blame for that, as I think that he did it as he was under the influence of the red woman.

Still Stannis is a good and loyal man, that always puts family first, always acting in interest of his family and not his own. During Robert's rebellion, Stannis stayed loyal to his brother and held the family seat of Storm's End for a year without abandoning his post and his men, always fighting, and starving with them, thus inspiring loyalty to his men who saw him as one of them, and not like a high lord who would eat his fair share of the meals and leaving his men to die of starvation, whatever his men endured he endured. Then, when Davos managed to break through the siege, and bring his small cargo of onions and other foodstuff in the castle, thus saving the Baratheon, Stannis distributed the food fairly taking no larger share that any other of his men, and after this he successfully held the castle against the Tyrell force until the arrival of Lord Eddard Stark who was sent to lift the siege. After that, Robert ordered him to build a fleet and take Dragonstone so as to kill the remaining Targaryens who fled there. Even if that was an immoral action, as it meant that he had to kill a boy and a baby girl, he obeyed his brothers command who was now his King. Stannis built a fleet and sailed to Dragonstone which he took with victorious, amphibious operation that demanded great synchronisation of land and sea forces, even if the Targaryens managed to escape to Essos.
Even after the insult that he received from Robert for failing to find and kill the Targaryen children, when Robert gave Storm's End, the family seat, to his younger brother Renly who was still child at the time, and gave him the smoky dark castle of Dragonstone, Stannis still remained loyal, and showed his great military skills in the wars to come. In the Greyjoy rebellion, when lord Balon Greyjoy raised the Iron Islands in revolt and burned the Lannister fleet at anchor, with their own mighty Iron Fleet of 100 great longships, Stannis sailed the Royal Fleet all across Westeros, from the Narrow Sea to the Sunset Sea where he met with the Redwyne fleet of Reach, and destroyed the Iron fleet at Fair Isle, as they longships where no match for their war galleys, but still the iron born suffered a great defeat, thus with that decisive battle Stannis crippled the strength of the Iron Islands and allowed the now united force of Westeros led by the King himself and his friend lord Eddard Stark to reach safely the island and attack them. Stannis himself subdued the biggest of the islands, Great Wyk.
The others stories of Stannis's battles are known, and they are characterised mainly by their bad endings, like the battle of Blackwater bay where Stannis was defeated after most of his fleet was destroyed by wildfire, lord Tyrion's Lannister, the current hand of the King, secret weapon, and a united Tyrell and Lannister force of 90.000 men when he only had an army of 25.000 men and 200 ships. Otherwise the battle would have been a success even after the wildfire incident.

Stannis is also a good, modest man and a loving father (in the books, as in the show, burning your daughter is not that nice, but we are talking about the books and not the show, so...). Unlike many of his noble peers, Stannis dresses plainly. He sometimes wears a grey wool tunic, a dark red mantle, and a plain black leather belt from which hang his sword and dagger. On campaign he wears a studded leather jerkin over quilted doublet, worn boots, breeches of brown roughspun, and a belt studded with garnets and yellow topaz. Other armor includes wool and boiled leather or grey plate inlaid with a flaming heart. He is modest for a lord, that is true. He is also a good man, as he always putts the needs of his house and name first before his own will, something that can be seen by his marriage with Selyse Florent, whom he does not love, at all, he married her because he had to, for the good of his family. Even if he does not love her at all he has tried many times to produce an heir with her with no avail, without off course liking this act with her, as he does not love her, but he lives with her and suffers her. The only child that lady Selyse gave him was their only daughter Shireen, who suffered fro greyscale when she was a baby, and the sickness left a permanent scar on her face. As greyscale is a deadly disease that can rarely be cured, Stannis did everything he could in his power to save his daughter. So he had the maester cure her with any possible way there was, which he did, thus saving the girl. Also the fact that Stannis is a good man can the understood from the Proudwing incident. Proudwing was an injured goshawk which he nursed back to health and then named so. The fact that he took care of the bird and saved not is a sign of a good heart in addition with what we see in certain scenes or what the people of Westeros believe about him.

I do not know what skills I might have that could make me a good addition to the team, but by judging by my latest post, for Justman, I believe that I might be good on designing and organising major buildings, like a castle or a septry. (As I do not really know whether I am good or not on designing buildings, at the end of the sentence there should be a question mark)

I would like to build on the server because I am really fascinated, and really impressed by the work of the team, and also by the great amount of thoughts given to every project, and also because I want to give a hand in doing that magnificent job that is being done by the team and completing at some point in the future the server it self and then proceed in all the other possible aspects of it.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:
Reactions: nubcaker

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Antony,

I'm glad to see you finally applying! ^^ I apologize for the delay, as I'm sure you know we've been a bit busy with all the apps recently.

Anyways, your septry is super cute! Although, when the images were taking a long time to fully load on my computer, I read "a septons hermitage where he lives and preys alone, and occasionally burys the bodies", which made it sound pretty morbid :eek:

I'll give some brief feedback here and then get you started on some challenge builds:

- Some components of the build feel a tad outdated stylistically. The main ones are the thin log/fence supports around the outside of the house, which seem to be placed somewhat randomly, and aren't really necessary. The thatch roof is also a bit too messy.

- The height drop in the lichyard here is rather jarring. Don't be afraid to manipulate the terrain a bit in your houses to avoid having awkward height drops like that.

For a first challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp woodwright. Feel free to ask if you have any questions on the feedback or the woodwright style. Good luck!

-Emote

Antony

Printmaker
Thanks for the feedback Emot, i am starting right away. Also if you have noticed there are some spelling errors, on the sign, I meant that the septon spends his time with prayer and occasionally buries the bodies that he founds floating in the riverbanks, because you know, the war of the five kings, was a troubled time especially for the Riverlands, because of all that fighting happening in the region, so basically what he does is, prayer and giving a proper burial to all the poor soldiers that died on the river, and their bodies later on are getting washed up on his little hermitage/island/septry.

Last edited:

Antony

Printmaker
Here you are Emot, also there might be a problem with the embedded link, it has happened before, with the application link.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/6WHW27x"><a href="//imgur.com/6WHW27x">WesterosCraft Application, Challenge 1</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In case that this link does not work at all, another one is this (this one, I think that can do it's job, probably):

19WesterosCraft Application, Challenge 111020

Last edited:

Antony

Printmaker
It usually works for me too, but I do not know, what I got wrong, I copied and then pasted the code given by the site. And it does not work, at all.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Antony,

Great work yet again! Your house would unquestionably fit very nicely into Woodwright, I only have a few small picky things:

- The roof still feels a bit too messy to me, especially on the peak of the roof where the halfslab indents make quite a big aesthetic difference.

- Try to have rafters as supports (using upside-down stairs) for the loft here, rather than just the random stairs on the border along the wall. Also, see if you can cover up the thatch exposed in the wall underneath the loft in that same image. It looks a bit messy.

The yard and the smokehouse are nicely done. For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp hgtown. The style there is a bit more complex, so take your time and feel free to ask questions, but I'm sure you'll have no troubles with it. Good luck!

Reactions: Antony

Antony

Printmaker
Thanks for the feedback Emot and I will try to follow your advice in my next challenge. I'm getting to work right away:)

Last edited:

Antony

Printmaker
Here you are Emot, now I think I "fixed" the problem with the link.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/2KDKSXF"><a href="//imgur.com/2KDKSXF">WesterosCraft Application, Challenge 2</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The embedded link does not work again, here is the normal link:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Antony,

Awesome job, you nailed this style! The only thing I'm not sure about is the plaster splotches on the sides of the house going below the daub & wattle part into the stone foundation. Other than that I don't really have any major feedback to give.

In any case, I think you'll learn more at this point by being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings. Do note that there's limited places to build right now (unfortunately we've had an influx of new builders, but no such influx of projects), but we're working very hard to get more places open asap.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D