Andy_Jones Builder Application

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
MichaeIKohIhaas (Beware, instead of small Ls there are large is in the name!)

What is your age?
25+

In what country are you living?
Austria

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
From a friend

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I like the world building by GRRM, but I love the impetus it has been for the people of Westeroscraft to create this world. Ten bucks says Stoop knows way more about medieval architecture and citys than George ever did. I'm sure that Ark builds the houses more beautiful than George imagines them. And if I was lost in Oldtown I would call for Iwan instead of George.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Please excuse that I take the liberty to write about my attached house here, instead of about my favorite build(s). Which would probably be the towns and lands of Fairmarket or Bandallon.

When I rejoined the server yesterday I checked out OT. Then I flew around the (not yet existing) sprawl area and towards Bandallon. I created a few signs for locations there a while back, for example the ones for Graves. You probably have different plans for that already, and I would change a few locations as well. But at the current warp graves there is supposed to be a smaller settlement with palisade around. I feel like that makes sense, since there is a forest directly next to it. There have been tons of wooden fortifications in medieval times, we are just mostly left with the ones out of stones, hence our picture of castles and town walls. So that's the location of the house.

Right now we have mostly stone buildings in the Reach, the region is supposed to be rich and it fits the style, but still I feel like even in richer regions there are lots of poor peasants. The sprawl of major cities probably houses some of the poorest farmers there are compared to other lords lands. So there should be places with poorer farmers in wood and half-timbering, and then the average rich Reach farmers :) So I decided against full stone for the house, and against anything fancy. I will probably try a bit more (hopefully on test, and not in singleplayer, so I can spend more time with you all and stop switching SP and MP) for poorer styles that kinda fit between OT and Bandallon and Hastwyck, and for a few more regular houses for this very densely populated area! Looking forward to it.

Why do you want to join our server?
I am currently in between jobs and not starting the new one before March. I will never again have as much time as a few years back, when I spent thousands of hours (!!) on the server, and I probably don't even want to live that life again. But as I get older I also get more organized and relaxed and I will probably get more done in the time I am online. Also I feel like building a few hours here and there, and working on some smaller projects that require a bit of geographic work would really please me.

The main reason though: I miss lots of you guys, and I'm happy that there still lots of known faces around.

1_Andy himself.png2_We need more wooden defensive structures.png4_Keeping your animals save.png5_Street view.png6_No money for coloured shutters, but an apple tree.png7_Interior.png8_More Interior.png2_We need more wooden defensive structures.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Andy,

Very happy to see an old face returning! Rollingford is still one of the cooler builds on the server ;)

This test looks pretty nice overall, I have some minor nitpicks but that's pretty much it:

- I would probably have the eaves of the house overhang; although it's often better to remove overhangs on the gables, it looks a bit odd when the eaves don't have overhangs either.

- I'd generally avoid having longer rows of the horizontally-connecting timber frame block (with no crossbeam) in smaller houses like this, such as the bit I circled to the left in the following image. It seems a bit structurally unsound and visually disrupts the pattern. Also, with the newer timber additions we've generally phased out using individual blocks of plain white daub in patterns, such as those I circled to the right, though sometimes in larger timbered houses you'll find larger areas of it.

f52b9c1f64.png

However, I trust you'll experiment with some of the new building techniques on your test plot, as you mentioned, so I'm happy to promote you back to builder. Feel free to ask a mod to make you builder again if I don't beat them to it :)