_Aurelian Builder Application

_Aurelian

Mummer

United States of America

I don't remember, I recently have started watching seasons 3 and 4 of Game of Thrones and I remembered that there was a Game of Thrones Minecraft build. So I looked it up and found westeroscraft

Rangers Apprentice, Lord of the Rings(both the movies and the books)

Game of Thrones

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6

My favorite character is Jaqen H'Gar, a member of the Faceless Men. He became my favorite when he was first introduced and gave Arya Stark three kills. He is a master assassin, calm, composed, and later the teacher of Arya. I also like the idea of the Faceless Men, an order of skillful assassins and servants to the Many-Faced God, Death, who kill as a mercy.

I am good at doing layouts, I am experienced at using world edit and moderately competent with Voxel Sniper, small builds, terraforming, I love to do castles and forts(Although I understand those are not needed as much), and small houses.

Recently I have started to grow bored of building in single player where no one sees my work or even know's that I build at all. I have also recently started watching Game of Thrones, so it was natural for me to want to build on a server, for a topic I enjoy. I also want to help the server become a full Roleplaying world for those that like the ASOIAF world.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Aurelian,

Thanks for the application! My apologies for the delay in getting to it, all of the builder app mods are super busy right now.

Your building isn't up to the server's standards currently, but I think with some work and practice we can get it there soon enough. Here are some broad pointers:

- Try to give your house a definite form and layout before building. Usually, you'll be working with rectangles or T-shapes. I highly recommend making a 3D layout of your house in color-coded wool blocks before actually doing exteriors and interiors.

- Avoid using log blocks in houses, since they typically look "clunky" or messy. You might see it on our map in some places, but it's considered outdated.

- Avoid doing "messy" things in general- noisy gradients, harsh contrast between dark and light blocks next to each other, etc., unnecessary details. Our style tends to be more simple, and we add detail through interesting spatial arrangements, architectural features, nature, etc.

Before moving on with your application, I highly recommend you take some time to study our style in more detail. There are helpful resources on our server like /warp furnish and /warp gradient, which I recommend you look at. Then study locations like /warp kingslanding in general- try to see how we do exteriors and interiors.

Once you've done that and feel ready to continue, for a challenge build, please make a house in the style of /warp sweetport. You can post the update here, and feel free to ask if you have any questions. Good luck!

-Emote

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Aurelian,

Great work, this house is a gigantic improvement! Here's some feedback, mostly pickier stuff this time:

- Overall, the exteriors are pretty good, but the interiors still seem a bit too empty (although you have all the important techniques down, like rafters). For instance, this room is way too empty. I would recommend trying to plan out interiors using wool, plan out rooms and stairs, etc. before actually adding detail. And then when you start adding detail, think of all the things a medieval house would need- try to put yourself in the shoes of a typical medieval family. Doing some quick online research also helps.

- While the stone gradient in the base of the house doesn't look particularly bad, I would still make it "smoother"- you want a nice transition between the dark cobble and the small stone brick. This becomes more important when doing larger gradients.

- Make sure to add immersive details outside of the house too- for example a vegetable garden, clothesline, wheelbarrow, baskets, etc.

For your next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and good luck!

_Aurelian

Mummer
I suddenly had to go help family because of a family incident, so I won't be able to work on the house for a little while.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey _Aurelian, are you still interested in continuing with this app? I'm going to reject it for inactivity if no response within 2 weeks.

_Aurelian

Mummer
Oh, I'm so sorry, I got really busy with the start of school and forgot about this, I'll finish it within the next few days.