8rg Builder Application

8rg

Mummer

United States

I am good friends with cal_v11 (editorlite)

Lord of the Rings/Hobbit

Game of Thrones

All of the above

I like the Hound the most because he has a very good backstory about his experience with fire. Also, he is super witty and funny which makes him very fun to watch on screen. His rivalry with the mountain is super exciting and I cant wait for them to fight.

I am a super quick learner and I learned so much just from the build I will be submitting.

All of the builds that I have seen on the server so far are absolutely stunning and I would love to be able to take part in it all.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Denied by Emotione11 on May 11, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hey 8rg! Thanks for your application!

This is a great first build, but I have a little feedback:

- This is a very large building, and I can’t from the outset determine if it’s a house or a utility building/ storage/warehouse type thing. Be sure to look at the buildings on the server so you can build in their style, but keep in mind their scale and use, so as to avoid making your house too large.

- The first thing that takes my eye is your roof gradient; it’s good to try and add darker patches to wooden roofs to indicate weathering or damp, but try to do these patches in isolated areas where water would run, and not sporadically place darker blocks, otherwise you are left with a checkerboard pattern which doesn’t look very realistic.

- Your building’s foundation is made of raw stone, but your balcony and floor are made of another stone altogether, this is a bit of a strange mix of blocks, and lacks an effective gradient. For flooring, try mixing gravel and dirt blocks, with occasional thatch cover for a realistic floor. On the subject of the balcony, it is a bit strange and would be difficult to build, especially for a single house, you could probably lose it entirely.

- The interiors support my initial concern, that it would be too large inside for a single home; all the furniture is pushed to the walls and the space is open-plan, which looks quite strange. Houses would often extend over time, from an initial living space, and then with the addition of bedrooms and workspace, these would all have their own separate parts of the building, or at least dividers between them.

- The fire pit in the middle of the room doesn’t really make sense when you have a large fireplace three blocks away from it. Fire pits are common in northern longhouses in order to heat the place, but they didn’t have upper stories directly above, in order to leave space for the smoke to leave through a ventilation gap in the roof of the building. In this case, the room would fill with smoke. You can do without the fire pit for a house of this size and style.

- Definitely have a look at some of the houses in Winters town or white harbour sprawl (/warp whsprawl) at the way northern houses are often furnished, as this will help you develop a better use of space. Sometimes a smaller house is much easier to furnish than a large one. Your single seating area indicated that this is a house for one person, yet this house could easily suffice as a warehouse with sleeping room for 6+ staff.

- Try not to use paintings unless they are in a house of substantial wealth, as paintings and artwork at the time would have been incredibly expensive.

- A common issue with application builds, is the lack of support structures for ceilings and roofs, and yours displays this issue also. The first floor needs to be supported from beneath by rafters; this is most effectively accomplished by using upturned stair blocks and wooden slabs to create a flat surface for the floor above, but with realistic rafter beams below. Good examples of this can be seen at /warp fairmarket and /warp woodwright.

- For your attic space you will need to support the roof with visible rafters on the inside, similar to those in the attics of every house in Fairmarket.

For a first build this isn’t bad at all, but there are a couple of structural items to take note of! For your first challenge build, I’d like you to build a low class house in the style of /warp whsprawl

When you’ve completed it, please post the pictures in this thread as you did before!

Thanks, and good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Application rejected due to inactivity, please feel free to reapply and pick up where you left off in the future!