Mid Block Change Request: Adding/changing polished stone blocks

AwbMan

Street Preacher
Request: Adding/changing polished stone blocks

Request Type: Change

Try to describe all current uses of the block you request to be changed. Do you foresee any issues/ problems that could result from changing the block?
Changing the Polished Stone blocks to function like timber blocks, with different states that allow you to make as big or small (1x1) “stones” as you want.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical

Historical Evidence
Simply put, large structures would be made using giant stones, such as the pyramids of Giza.

Reactions: Finn01

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Would this functionality be desired for the full set of polished stone blocks (stairs, walls, etc.), or just the solid versions?

Reactions: Finn01

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I've gotten this working with solid blocks and wall blocks:

2024-06-17_12.12.34.png

I'd like to know whether this functionality is desired for stairs and slabs as well. I think it should be possible, since I've gotten it working for wall blocks, but it may not be necessary.

Note that it's not possible to have full blocks connect to walls (see the above picture for instance). Also, it's not possible to have different colors connect with each other (meaning gradienting would be limited to full stone chunks).

Finally, I plan to update the existing polished stone blocks with this functionality. I expect some pushback against this, since it will be a breaking change to some extent, but I argue that it's justified because (a) these blocks have already been broken in general by the most recent update, meaning the current set of use cases that would need updating is quite small and therefore managable; (b) the scope of breaking is further limited to only cases where a single polished stone type is used; most decorative uses of this block involve checkerboard patterns, and would not be affected; (c) the alternative solution of adding an entirely new set of CTM polished stone blocks would be extremely clumsy and would bloat the block pack, especially considering that this solution supersedes the 1x1 use case (i.e., the 1x1 textures can be obtained just by using cycler tool to create a checkerboard pattern).