Block Change Request: Coral, Seagrass, Kelp and Algae

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Request: Coral, Seaweed and Algae

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.

Hello! I am making a block request for more ocean blocks in particular kelp, seagrass, algae and coral. Most of these marine species can be found throughout westeros, corals can be found worldwide from deep oceans in the artic to tropic shallows, however specific marine ecosystems such as kelp forests, seagrass meadows and coral reefs have very very specific ecosystem parameters (in particular coral reefs). Below is a *very* generalized map on places where these marine ecosystems could generally be found in Westeros:

g27F0rr.png

I specified the word "area" because obviously we could argue that for example seagrass meadows or kelp forests could arise in other areas, but in each of the posts below, I have detailed the reasons why the regions exist where they are (kelp forests are mostly found in cool/frigid waters, but kelp can be found throughout the oceans, same with coral being found throughout the seas, but coral reefs only can build up in shallow tropical waters).

I'll begin with the simplest and most generalized of additions.

Algae is essentially a generalized water plant that can be used *anywhere* including freshwater sources as a means to spruce up the bottoms of lakes, oceans, seas and rivers. Zero limitation on where to use them, but I recommend using them more densely in slow or still water sources and less densely in areas where water is fast moving.
M0F53Lo.png
uSH8Vq4.png

Next we have Seagrass which will be the primary component of seagrass meadows:
1024px-Sanc0209_-_Flickr_-_NOAA_Photo_Library.jpg

Covering the shallow, warm and mediterranean regions of Westeros, seagrass meadows are among the most diverse marine ecosystems, comparable to coral reefs. These would be primarily found in the Sea of Dorne, Off the coast of Lannisport, The Southern Reach, and off Shipbreaker's Bay.

Clumps could be placed throughout Westeros.

I am requesting that we are able to spawn them in like in vanilla via usage of bonemeal on underwater blocks for ease of placement, or that the OG blocks be retextured as such:
fmkR9U9.png
ITEbSRg.png
4TTiQzx.png

Next we have Kelp which will be the primary component of Kelp Forests:
5184.jpg

Covering the cool and frigid waters of Westeros, kelp forests are important for the inculcation of fish around the world, and are one of the most threatened marine ecosystems in the world. These would be primarily found in the waters around the Iron Islands, Off the coast of The Vale especially around the Fingers, and All throughout the waters of The North with scattered stands throughout Westeros but not in true kelp forest form. For our purposes we will be using kelp as seaweed as well.

I am requesting that the OG blocks be retextured as such in order to retain the ability to quickly grow kelp stands with bonemeal if possible but this is not necessary:

eR9c68L.png
4Ey248t.png

Last edited:

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
And finally we have Coral which would be found throughout Westeros, but coral reefs could be found in the very very South where the waters are warmest in the Summer Sea:

Mediterranean-coral-1024x576.jpg

Inividual Coral specimens can be found throughout the oceans of Westeros, however coral reefs would solely be found in the warmest waters of the Summer Sea, in the south facing side of The Arbor and the very South of Dorne where the warm waters can harbor a middling amount of coral reefs.

Isolated corals in real life can be found all over, but reefing behaviors are solely limited to warm waters such in the Caribbean, Red Sea and Oceania.

For full coral blocks I am requesting that they contain CTM behavior with terrainsets to allow them to "grow" over rocks and give more an impression that they're living organisms:
mP5RMMk.png
wjYfcwn.png
Block (includes a top and side texture):
0PSeuZP.png
l603xgL.png

Fan (would act like coral fans and attach to walls,floors and ceilings in a flower-like formation):
HsivNlf.png

Coral (basically just like any other plant):
qR1NJhE.png
Block:
Yo5XymU.png
10BtMpa.png
sj8A0sR.png

Fan (would act like coral fans and attach to walls,floors and ceilings in a flower-like formation):
FuP9KNY.png

wNzTI1B.png
3ambyP2.png
HCIEZZc.png

zgSaSUU.png

AF1OZwW.png
jdDJSyb.png
bs9bnQ7.png

E0dw10Q.png

eWSqop6.png

If you have any comments on implementation please put them below, hopefully we get some good depictions of marine ecosystems with these blocks :)

Last edited: